By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Picture - 720p vs 900p vs 1080p

This is about the Revelation on Neogaf that most of XBones multiplatform releases and some first party games are 720p-900p and PS4 games are 1080p. And for people saying resolution doesn't matter, hes showing them that it is.

PSP Lifetime more than PSV+3DS Lifetime.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
bananaking21 said:
the-pi-guy said:

If this is about The Order, then you are mistaken and I'll explain why -if this is about The Order.

If it's not though I agree, there is a difference and 1080p is better.  

could you explain it to me my love?

Certainly, as long as you can explain something else to me later.  

The Order is actually 1080p in terms of mapping so there will be no stretching or any of the sort. It just has black bars for cinematic reasons.

fuck me. thats annoying as hell. 

From these (small possibly massively zoomed in) images, I think we can all see that a game running at 900p will not look next-gen in the slightest and will be borderline unplayable when we know that elsewhere people are playing at 1080p on a console (but it's fine if they are playing it at 1080p)

the-pi-guy said:
bananaking21 said:
the-pi-guy said:

The Order is actually 1080p in terms of mapping so there will be no stretching or any of the sort. It just has black bars for cinematic reasons.

I think it'll probably be annoying, but I'll give it a chance before I Wright it off.  

The Order is rendered in 1920 * 800 (intended 2.4:1 cinematic resolution). This has benn known for, like ages.
/edit fixed typo

I cannot confirm the accuracy of those photos in terms of the resolutions represented but what I can comment on is that you are 100% right in saying that the bigger your TV the more important the Ps.

On my living room 60" TV there is a big gap difference between 720p and 1080p. That extra 360p makes a big difference. On my 42" TV it is a lot less noticeable.

I have not run 900p videos on my 60" so I do not have a valid measure to compare but in theory it should be bang in the middle of 720 and 1080.

If you game on a TV in the 40" to 50" range I doubt 900 v 1080 would be of any significance.

To each their own opinion but thats my take.

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:
bananaking21 said:

So you did get my message.  

I think it'll probably be annoying, but I'll give it a chance before I Wright it off.  

will the lines be small or will they take like 1/3rd of my screen like movies do? (i fucking it to death btw)

and what message? the extremely see through attempt at sexually harrassing me? yeah i got it. if you mean you sent me a PM no i didnt get anything.

9087 said:

For those who think resolution doesnt matter or is barely noticable.....

From Left to Right

720p - 900p - 1080p

1080p makes a huge difference.

One of the main reasons I am moving to PS4 is because I am tired of blurry 720p and even sub-720p games on current gen.

1080p on PS4 will be glorious and should be mandatory for every next-gen game.

It should also be noted that the bigger your TV is, the more noticable the difference is. I play on a 60" LCD so 1080p is very important to me. 

Currently looking at this on my living room TV and the difference is pretty surprising considering most of my favorite games are in 720p. This is almost as surprising as when I played Mario Galaxy on the Dolphin emulator for the first time.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

um yeah theres a difference in resolution you can just read DF face offs between ps3 and 360 games this entire gen in there articles you could see the differences quite clearly and there resolution differences arent as big as 1080 vs 900 or even 720. there were also other differences in the 360s favor that imo where more of an eye sore for the ps3 games other than resolution like anisotropic filtering frame rate and anti aliasing

but which 3rd party ps4xb1 games have these vast resolution differences? you got to wait till DF do face offs on these next gen 3rd partys first before making these accusations

Play Me

KingdomHeartsFan said:

So how zoomed in are the pics?  I really don't think a regular picture has that big a difference between 720p and 1080p from what I've seen.

You'd be wrong. even on a 32 incher, 720p looks blurry in comparison, and the colors pop quite a bit more when displaying in 1080p.

For some types of content, 720p is "good enough". But the difference is indeed noticeable.

the-pi-guy said:
drkohler said:
the-pi-guy said:
bananaking21 said:
the-pi-guy said:

The Order is rendered in 1980 * 800 (intended 2.4:1 cinematic resolution). This has benn known for, like ages.

I've known it for ages and you've known it for ages

Apparently you didn't, since you wrote 1080p above......