By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New PS4 Details: Automatic Caching Games Not Install

Great news. Sony has thought of everthing possible to make this console a succes and userfriendly as possible to gamers :)

Around the Network
prayformojo said:

Can we please just stop this BS? Seriously. Why are all of you so willing to be bent over and gang banged like this? We shouldn't be FORCED to install anything. They should either include a fast enough drive/system to handle the data straight from the disc, or go Nintendo's route and slow down.

Maybe it's because I've been in this industry since the mid 80's, but I think this is madness. From the first gen to the sixth, you bought a game, popped it in, and played said game. Now, we're being FORCED into installing and/or caching games? It's garbage. I won't buy a system that's that gimped. It would be one thing if they were sticking a 2 TB HDD in the thing (Xbone AND PS4) but 500GB? That's about 10-12 games. That means another expense out of MY pocket that I didn't have to worry about back in the day.

When you buy a console, that purchase should include everything needed to play games over it's lifespan out of the box.

Dude, did you even bother on reading the OP or any of the comments?

While that is great, with those games sizes, I think the 500GB PS4's are gonna be quite tightly packed, given the game sizes for 2K14, CoD, and KZ:SF at least (though I can't pinpoint the size of the last one, I just remember reading that it'll be quite big).

I'm changing my ideia of SSD.

I will go with 7200RPM HDD or SHDD.

No user customized themes? Like user generated themes or we can't change the theme at all without paying?

Around the Network
TheFallen said:
No user customized themes? Like user generated themes or we can't change the theme at all without paying?

You can change the interface... personalize... so no more theme... exemple you can put your own background.

prayformojo said:

Can we please just stop this BS? Seriously. Why are all of you so willing to be bent over and gang banged like this? We shouldn't be FORCED to install anything. They should either include a fast enough drive/system to handle the data straight from the disc, or go Nintendo's route and slow down.

Maybe it's because I've been in this industry since the mid 80's, but I think this is madness. From the first gen to the sixth, you bought a game, popped it in, and played said game. Now, we're being FORCED into installing and/or caching games? It's garbage. I won't buy a system that's that gimped. It would be one thing if they were sticking a 2 TB HDD in the thing (Xbone AND PS4) but 500GB? That's about 10-12 games. That means another expense out of MY pocket that I didn't have to worry about back in the day.

When you buy a console, that purchase should include everything needed to play games over it's lifespan out of the box.

Since you clearly didn't read anything and have no idea what you're talking about I'll explain. 

Insert disk. Play the game like normal. While you're playing, the game data that's loaded up is also saved on your hard drive and the system is also constantly loading and saving what it needs next on the hard-drive. So if any assets are needed a second they will load significantly faster than they loaded the first time. Or they will load faster the first if it's something that was loaded and saved ahead of time. When you eject the disk and insert another, the cache for the previous game is deleted and the system does the same process for the new game. So the 30-50GB used to cache the last game is being reused in this one.

Uncharted 2/3, The Last of Us,  GoW3/A and Killzone 3 all used this method for their single-player campaigns. The downside is a long initial load screen of sometimes up to 50 seconds in some cases. Then you have can play the entire campaign without seeing a single load screen from start to finish. 

What we have in the op is confirmation that this will be a native system feature.

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
prayformojo said:

Since you clearly didn't read anything and have no idea what you're talking about I'll explain. 

Insert disk. Play the game like normal. While you're playing, the game data that's loaded up is also saved on your hard drive and the system is also constantly loading and saving what it needs next on the hard-drive. So if any assets are needed a second they will load significantly faster than they loaded the first time. Or they will load faster the first if it's something that was loaded and saved ahead of time. When you eject the disk and insert another, the cache for the previous game is deleted and the system does the same process for the new game. So the 30-50GB used to cache the last game is being reused in this one.

Uncharted 2/3, The Last of Us,  GoW3/A and Killzone 3 all used this method for their single-player campaigns. The downside is a long initial load screen of sometimes up to 50 seconds in some cases. Then you have can play the entire campaign without seeing a single load screen from start to finish. 

What we have in the op is confirmation that this will be a native system feature.

So basically, you're saying that 30GB is going to be just auto delete the moment you play a different game? 

prayformojo said:
Dgc1808 said:
prayformojo said:

So basically, you're saying that 30GB is going to be just auto delete the moment you play a different game? 

That, or when you exit the game as it currently does on PS3.

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
prayformojo said:
Dgc1808 said:
prayformojo said:

That, or when you exit the game as it currently does on PS3.

Well if that's the case, then I'll have to retract my earlier comment. But someone on here last night said that Killzone was the only PS4 title that doesn't have manditory INSTALLS like the Xbone. That's mainly why I was so pissed off to begin with.