By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are We Alone In The Universe?

Are We Alone?

Yes, I believe that we ar... 31 16.40%

No, I believe that we are... 158 83.60%

Total:189

I believe that we life in an infinitely large (isotropic and homogeneous) universe and so everything that is physically possible will exist somewhere and so I actually do believe in alien life.

But if you're asking: "Do you believe that there are other intelligent lifeforms -having our or better technological capabilities- in the observable universe?", then my answer would be: No. I find it very likely that there will be bacteria (or something similar) on millions of planets in the Milky Way alone, but multicellular lifeforms should be very rare and intelligent life even more so. It's also the easiest solution to the question why we haven't found other intelligent life yet: It's just not there (in the observable universe).

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
I've been watching Star Trek and the fantasy of space travel and inter-stellar, inter-galactic exploration makes the idea more imaginable, but I remind myself that really, none of it will ever be possible.

Also, as much as I would love for it to be true, I don't believe there is sentient life outside of earth. But it's definitely a fun idea, much like fairies and dragons and all sorts of fantastic things the human mind was created to imagine.

Why do you think that it would never be possible?

Also, why do you think there is no Sentient life outside of earth? If there is Sentient life here then why wouldn't it be outside?

What makes us so special?

the-pi-guy said:
enditall727 said:
Conina said:
enditall727 said:

Since you believe that we are not alone, What makes you think that we will never make contact?

Distance. How would you signal someone 50,000 lightyears away?

What about the countless reports of alien abductions? 

If one believed that we were not alone, wouldn't the abduction reports confirm that Extraterrestrial/Aliens are pretty close?

Swamp gas.

If those alien abductions are real then it would be possible that either

A:  Aliens are closer than we thought.

B:    Aliens are capable of traveling faster than the speed of light.

C:  Aliens started traveling in the direction of Earth a long time ago and got here and was curious about the inhabitants of Earth and abducted some peoples, but that was not their original intention unless they also have a machine capable of telling the future.  

D: Aliens are capable of bending space/ using wormholes, that they could go below the speed of light and still travel greater distances in 3d space.  

So do you believe in any of these possibilities?

Conina said:
enditall727 said:
Conina said:
enditall727 said:

Since you believe that we are not alone, What makes you think that we will never make contact?

Distance. How would you signal someone 50,000 lightyears away?

What about the countless reports of alien abductions? 

If one believed that we were not alone, wouldn't the abduction reports confirm that Extraterrestrial/Aliens are pretty close?

Yeah, what about those abduction reports? Isn't it odd that there are no decisive and sharp photos or videos of aliens or UFOs although everyone and their mothers have a camera with them everywhere they go? smart phones, cellphones...

And isn't it inefficient to fly light years to another planet and then not show yourself to greater populations... only to single individuums... and fly back afterwards?

What do you think about this? I'm not going to say that i do or don't believe this but this shows people using their phones and cameras to record what they think is "out of this world"

What if these other forms of intelligence were intelligent enough to know that showing themselves to everybody was not ideal?

enditall727 said:

Why do you think that it would never be possible?

Also, why do you think there is no Sentient life outside of earth? If there is Sentient life here then why wouldn't it be outside?

What makes us so special?

I believe we were created, and I believe in the bible creation story. It makes more sense to me.

But outside of that, I love science fantasy. Currently in season 4 of ST:E. Loving every second of it.

Around the Network
Sirius87 said:

I believe that we life in an infinitely large (isotropic and homogeneous) universe and so everything that is physically possible will exist somewhere and so I actually do believe in alien life.

But if you're asking: "Do you believe that there are other intelligent lifeforms -having our or better technological capabilities- in the observable universe?", then my answer would be: No. I find it very likely that their will be bacteria (or something similar) on millions of planets in the Milky Way alone, but multicellular lifeforms should be very rare and intelligent life even more so. It's also the easiest solution to the question why we haven't found other intelligent life yet: It's just not there (in the observable universe).

Yes, it could be rare but that can't mean much when it comes to the universe.

How much of the universe do we actually know about? How do we know how rare it could be?

enditall727 said:

What do you think about this?

Wow. Lights in the sky. How.......very.......interesting.................not

Of course not. Statistically the odds of us being alone is infinitesimally small. On the other hand, the odds that we have been visited by aliens are equally small.

I believe in alien life that they are smarter than us and more advanced in almost every possible way. I believe they did visit us and still do. why ? because just like the human race they are explorers we explore the universe so why wouldnt they do the same ..I do not believe they travel faster than light but probably bend space to travel faster from point A to B. I also believe seeing from more than one documentary about UFOs that they acutally protect the earth from threats. so im a big believer and there is more than just bad UFO footage to prove that this is actual fact and not something made up.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Ill believe to trust the Former Minister of defence in canada, Paul Hellyer.

"At least four species" of alien have been visiting Earth for "thousands of years";
Some of the aliens hail from the "Zeta Reticuli, the Pleiades, Orion, Andromeda, and Altair star systems" and "may have different agendas";
"there are live ETs on Earth at this present time, and at least two of them are working with the United States government".

I am Torgo, I take care of the place while the master is away.

"Hes the clown that makes the dark side fun.. Torgo!"

Ha.. i won my bet, but i wasnt around to gloat because im on a better forum!  See ya guys on Viz