By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Anyone else feels BestBuy is giving prefered treatment to MSFT consoles ?

All those displays that they have for Sony, Wii, and Microsoft are paid for and sent to them by those companies. Its not necessarily a bias or preference that best buy may have towards X360, its just maybe Microsoft pays them or gives them special deals to have all this stuff set up to display them.

Most likely, if a sony display is a crappy cutout, its because Sony sent them a crappy cut out. (just an example, you can place any other company in the sony slot)

I do agree though that my local Best buy only has a demo display for Xbox, no Wii or PS3 demo. They have a PS2 demo for GH3 and i couldnt tell what system for Rock Band.

But like i said, if Sony or Wii didnt provide them the set ups, or theres some sort of contract agreement between Best Buy and xbox, then that would be the reason. It really wouldnt have to do with which sells better or because Best Buy just likes microsoft better (though they probably wouldnt get into contracts if Xbox sold shit)

Around the Network

My local Best Buy also has more space set aside for the 360, and more than half of it is full of peripherals. As a few other people noted it seems common for the PS3 to get lumped together with PS2 and PSP stuff, and for the Wii to share shelf space with DS.

All three consoles have demos set up, with the 360 and PS3 ones being right on the main aisle. The Wii one is out of the way in a corner, and is always on, but never has a Wiimote nearby, not even chained to the display.

OT: there are always a few PS3's and arcade 360's laying around, but I ahven't seen a Wii or a 360 elite for quite some time.

FishyJoe said:
Retail space is not always reserved for the best sellers. In order for a product to receive the best shelf locations, it has to sell like gangbusters, be negotiated through pricing, or some combination of the two. Don't automatically think that the best shelf locations have the best selling product, because it isn't always true.

yep. when i worked at best buy, there were certain vendor operated endcaps and displays. from my experiences, best buy tends to dedicate lots of retail space to whatever makes them the most margin (so for example the x360 would have lots of accessories, particularly 3rd party ones).

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

At the two Best buy's near me the 360 has the biggest space with all the normal games and covers, while the PS3 section is almost bare, and the games they do have are all the black and white covers, the wii section is like the 360 section for game covers but is half the space of the 360 and twice that of the PS3. Plus the wii section is always full of games, i don't think wii owners shop at best buy.

At Future shop, all the sections have the same space except for the wii it is smaller and stacked full with games, i don't think wii owners shop at these stores, while the 360/PS3 section are always about 50% full with most of the good games sold out.

Ail said:

PS3 : Cheap ass Black and White copy of the game box coverts are on display for maybe half the games, the rest you just have the game name and a sticker with the price and that's it. Pick your game at the cashier like Xbox ( if you bothered to ask someone in the shop if they actually had it because the fact nothing is on display except the game name makes you believe it's sold out).

Seriously?! Black and white covers at a national retailer?! America is seriously baffling sometimes You would never ever see anything like that in the UK even at a random indy stores. They'd get laughed out of town! Here it's all full display boxes which are exactly the same as the actual case but without the game inside.

Around the Network

To add to what everyone else said, there are two good reasons for BestBuy US locations to have more Xbox360 shelf space:
1. The Xbox360 has outsold the Wii LTD in America so far
2. People who buy an Xbox360 may also want to buy an HDTV...conveniently enough, BestBuy sells those too

My BB has equal sized Wii and 360 sections, though the Wii section is cut in half and divided between two aisles. The DS section is about the same, I guess. The PSP and PS3 sections are also about the same size, with the ps2 section being a bit larger than either.

As for the actual games, they just keep them on the shelf at my BB, in clear plastic cases. They don't do any of that cages crap, at least not with software.

johntonsoup said:
To add to what everyone else said, there are two good reasons for BestBuy US locations to have more Xbox360 shelf space:
2. People who buy an Xbox360 may also want to buy an HDTV...conveniently enough, BestBuy sells those too

good point #2. however, the wii is catching up VERY FAST!

My BB has 1 area for each console, except the DS has 2.

wiiforever said:
johntonsoup said:

good point #2. however, the wii is catching up VERY FAST!

True, but you got to remember, just because they sell more Wiis, doesnt mean they make more money off it. Profit margins for the retailers on Wiis is small, they literally make 4 dollars per Wii they sell. And if they pay for that with a credit card, they actually end up losing money on the sale due to the credit card transaction fees the store is charged. And not to mention the wii sells less in accessories and peripherals then Xbox 360.

Anyone who has worked on the actually money end of retail electronics (not sales persons, but the people who deal with ordering stock and what not) will tell you that profit margins on consoles are close to nil, and software not much better. (more money is made to the store per new release DVD then for a new release console game, hence why DVDs sections are so friggin huge) You get the most money out of all the accessories, especially the third party accessories(which unfortunetly Nintendo doesnt have much in the way of third party accessories compared to Sony and Microsoft)

This was the issue awhile back when Nintendo was denouncing retailers for selling Wii's as forced bundles. The retailers justified them simply because if they didnt do it, they wouldnt make any money (especially since at the time, distributors were requiring that stores buy 4 games for every Wii they bought. This was causing essentially a problem for retailers, and had to make the bundles in order to make some sort of money off of the Wii.

People think assume just because the Wii is selling like wild fire, its good for the video game industry in terms of money. In reality its really just good for Nintendo, because they are the only ones at the moment that are truly benefiting off the success of the Wii. So far third parties and retailers are having problems trying to tap into the Wii cash cow.