By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Anyone else feels BestBuy is giving prefered treatment to MSFT consoles ?

i know the xbox 360 has its own row
the ps3 is a whole row with psp and ps2 parts,
and the wii is like combined with the DS and GBA section,

Around the Network

Retail space is not always reserved for the best sellers. In order for a product to receive the best shelf locations, it has to sell like gangbusters, be negotiated through pricing, or some combination of the two. Don't automatically think that the best shelf locations have the best selling product, because it isn't always true.

lets just say, in my area bestbuy has the best selection of wii games out of all other stores. Walmart in my area doesn't have enough for shelf space for Wii alone, besides the fact they stick all 5 systems in those cases. Target is slightly better, but still they should probably have another whole isle dedicated to gaming.

At my BestBuy, Wii and XBox360 have about equal amount of shelf space, and the Wii has been quickly expanding, while the PS2/GC is being reduced.

It terms of visibility, the Wii & PS3/2 is in the center isle, while the XBox360 is in the back isle (closest to the TV's) but in terms of easiest area to see while in the store, I don't really think it makes a difference (unlike where the GC games are, which is more towards the CDs, but also piled with other crap)

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

The Best Buy near where I live is like the OP said. The only difference is that the the X360 has it's own island in the store; it's a small room in the middle of the store where you can sit down on a couch and play the X360 on an HDTV. Outside of the X360 island, they have the accessories for the system and strategy guides. THEN, they have another shelf full of the games, systems and accessories. They hardly even have a PS3 shelf; it's SO small LOL

They have a bigger shelf for the PS2, Wii, DS and GBA. But the PS3's shelf is so tiny you would have thought they don't sell the system. Oh, and they do sell the system there, but they have a HUGE cage full of PS3s for sale. I go every week and it seems no one messes with the cage full of PS3s.

Not sure about the store itself, but in my local Best Buy flyers they don't advertise 360 at all, while advertising, Wii, DS, PS3 and PSP systems + games.

Around the Network

In the Best Buy by me the PS2, Wii and Ps3 have about all the same shelf space. 360 has slightly more.

However Wii games are also in a number of "floating displays" through out the store with casual titles. Likely hoping to entice casual people who are there for other stuff.

Maybe Microsoft is paying them to advertise..?

FishyJoe said:
Retail space is not always reserved for the best sellers. In order for a product to receive the best shelf locations, it has to sell like gangbusters, be negotiated through pricing, or some combination of the two. Don't automatically think that the best shelf locations have the best selling product, because it isn't always true.

Wii does seem to have the least shelfspace in the gamestops i go too.. though that might just be because there are any used Wii games in the stores.  PS3 has about as many used games as the 360.  It's bizare.

My BestBuy is spread out pretty evenly... (Canada)

The guy who prints out the covers is an xbot!!!
Muahahaha!

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)