By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I wish Nintendo didn't own the rights to the Pokemon IP

Just played a good 10 hours of Pokemon X on my cousins 3DS over the past couple days. I can't stand it. Honestly. It feels like more of the exact same formula I've been playing for 12+ years. It even seems MORE childish than ever. I get that they want the game to appeal to everyone, but what about the gamers that grew up with the franchise? When is Nintendo going to cater to those (now older) gamers?

I'm not saying make this hardcore Pokemon game. But I feel like a little girl playing the game now. It's sad really. Pokemon used to be hands down the best portable game available in my opinion.

Maybe they can make a good Wii U pokemon game. Or an MMO style Pokemon game. Something that doesn't involve dressing up my little pink and cute monsters or entering them into a fashion show.

Thoughts on the current status of the Pokemon games?

NOTE: This does not reflect the sales of the game, as X/Y will easily move 10+ million copies. However, how many of those will be people that grew up with it, rather than the current gen of 5-12 year old gamers?

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

Funny how 99% of the people at the Nintendo World Launch event look to be over 18. Lol.

(When is Nintendo going to cater to those (now older) gamers?)

Actually that is who they cater towards the most with Pokemon. You will be surprised at how many 20 something year-olds love and play pokemon. In fact Exp Share in the recent game is most likely to cater towards those people the most, because they can't be bothered to have grind fest.

>It even seems MORE childish than ever

Probably because you're older than you've ever been.

The game was always easy, that is what the meta game is for! If you want to make it hardcore go and play competitive!

Personally I skipped the fourth and fifth gen but this gen is very cool!

Btw you can always play the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, it's like pokemon but with demons and hardcore stuff.
The fourth game is for 3DS!

And may I ask, who do you think should own the ip? :O

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

really dude. really.

Maybe, but making it more mature would, oddly, make the audience more childish (as those who grew up with the series would be outraged).

Pokemon is Pokemon. Sure, mix up the story a bit, but not the overall feel of the game. And that includes the "kiddie" feel.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

this reminds me of when Iwata said people approached Nintendo saying they should make Pikachu more muscelar. lmao.

ps3-sales! said:

Just played a good 10 hours of Pokemon X on my cousins 3DS over the past couple days. I can't stand it. Honestly. It feels like more of the exact same formula I've been playing for 12+ years. It even seems MORE childish than ever. I get that they want the game to appeal to everyone, but what about the gamers that grew up with the franchise? When is Nintendo going to cater to those (now older) gamers?

I'm not saying make this hardcore Pokemon game. But I feel like a little girl playing the game now. It's sad really. Pokemon used to be hands down the best portable game available in my opinion.

Maybe they can make a good Wii U pokemon game. Or an MMO style Pokemon game. Something that doesn't involve dressing up my little pink and cute monsters or entering them into a fashion show.

Thoughts on the current status of the Pokemon games?

NOTE: This does not reflect the sales of the game, as X/Y will easily move 10+ million copies. However, how many of those will be people that grew up with it, rather than the current gen of 5-12 year old gamers?

So you say it was the best handheld series but the formula sucks now? What should they change then? You don't have to do all the stuff they offer you aswell.

It's the first Pokemon I bought since Red and I have a blast with it. It is actually is the first game where I said "this looks finally like something different" and it is.

First up, I'm getting really tired of people requesting a Pokemon MMO. Get over that idea, they never work out well *Cough* DQX/FF *Cough* and they are extremely boring, in my opinion of course.

Next, if you are saying that they never change the formula for the games, but also stating that Pokemon "used to be hands down the best portable game available in my opinion." then doesn't that in turn mean that it is still the best portable game available? If they keep that same winning formula, how did it turn into a worse game?

Also, Pokemon has always had Pokemon contest of some sort. It's also optional, I'm pretty sure.