By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Games with Gold extended on 360!

Lafiel said:
Adinnieken said:
Lafiel said:

Neither does MS, you are only receiving copies of these games if you pay for gold.

That is incorrect.  Absolutely, positively incorrect.

If you are an Xbox LIVE Gold subscriber and you download something for free, it is free forever.  You can delete it, and you will still be able to redownload it again and again as many times as you want.  Even if you are no longer an Xbox LIVE Gold member.  I can attest to this.

In fact, during this latest Games for Gold deal (Halo 3), Microsoft also offered a free Xbox LIVE weekend.  Guess what?  Everyone that had a free (aka Silver) account was able to go online and download Halo 3 for free and they now own it forever.  They can play the offline features with their free account just like someone who has a Gold account, and they can delete and redownload the game as often as they want.

I see, so my wording was false there - you need to have access to Xbox Live Gold to receive these games. In most cases you need to pay for this access, yet there are cases like the free weekend or free monthly vouchers and such that actually let you receive the games for free. That's very generous of MS.

Your wording in the post I answered to wasn't entirely accurate either for example in the sentence "Sony doesn't give you any free games.". In fact I did receive free games from Sony, just not through PS+ (which you didn't mention as condition).

No, your statement of fact was false.  How you worded your opinion, with the exception of expressing an incorrect opinion as fact, was fine. 

Yes, you need to have a Gold subscription to Xbox LIVE just like you need to have a PS+ subscription to access the PS+ games.  These are equal requirements to take advantage of the feature of the plan offered.

No, I never said a single thing about PS+.  You didn't respond to my post.   You responded to someone else's.  Regardless, you're splitting hairs.  People often say Microsoft doesn't give away free games, but in fact they do.  They also give away free Microsoft points frequently that can be used to purchase games or DLC.

I didn't pay for the majority of my DLC.  I used the free Microsoft Points that I got through Microsoft's Xbox LIVE Gold Rewards Program and through Bing Rewards to pay for my DLC.  In fact, I didn't pay one red cent for my Xbox One I have pre-ordered.  I used my Bing Rewards and redeemed them for Amazon gift cards, which I applied toward my Xbox One pre-order.

So, until I can get a free console from Sony for doing basically nothing, I don't care what PS+ gives you!!!

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
Lafiel said:
Adinnieken said:
Lafiel said:

Neither does MS, you are only receiving copies of these games if you pay for gold.

That is incorrect.  Absolutely, positively incorrect.

If you are an Xbox LIVE Gold subscriber and you download something for free, it is free forever.  You can delete it, and you will still be able to redownload it again and again as many times as you want.  Even if you are no longer an Xbox LIVE Gold member.  I can attest to this.

In fact, during this latest Games for Gold deal (Halo 3), Microsoft also offered a free Xbox LIVE weekend.  Guess what?  Everyone that had a free (aka Silver) account was able to go online and download Halo 3 for free and they now own it forever.  They can play the offline features with their free account just like someone who has a Gold account, and they can delete and redownload the game as often as they want.

I see, so my wording was false there - you need to have access to Xbox Live Gold to receive these games. In most cases you need to pay for this access, yet there are cases like the free weekend or free monthly vouchers and such that actually let you receive the games for free. That's very generous of MS.

Your wording in the post I answered to wasn't entirely accurate either for example in the sentence "Sony doesn't give you any free games.". In fact I did receive free games from Sony, just not through PS+ (which you didn't mention as condition).

No, your statement of fact was false.  How you worded your opinion, with the exception of expressing an opinion, was fine. 

Yes, you need to have a Gold subscription to Xbox LIVE just like you need to have a PS+ subscription to access the PS+ games.  These are equal requirements to take advantage of the feature of the plan offered.

No, I never said a single thing about PS+.  You didn't respond to my post.   You responded to someone else's.  Regardless, you're splitting hairs.  People often say Microsoft doesn't give away free games, but in fact they do.  They also give away free Microsoft points frequently that can be used to purchase games or DLC.

I didn't pay for the majority of my DLC.  I used the free Microsoft Points that I got through Microsoft's Xbox LIVE Gold Rewards Program and through Bing Rewards to pay for my DLC.  In fact, I didn't pay one red cent for my Xbox One I have pre-ordered.  I used my Bing Rewards and redeemed them for Amazon gift cards, which I applied toward my Xbox One pre-order.

So, until I can get a free console from Sony for doing basically nothing, I don't care what PS+ gives you!!!

I never mentioned PS+. 

I see, I'm sorry for confusing you with another user, it seems I shouldn't have deleted that much of the quote tree.

As you said there are pretty much equal conditions to receiving access to PS+ and Gold "free" games (that's what I wanted to say with my first post) with the difference being that you permanently own the games you received through Gold, which obviously is a big advantage if you only had very limited time access like the free weekend and so on.

And I would be loyal to the company that gives me a free next gen console aswell, good job getting one :).

I see another thread about MS's free games program is being ruined by comparisons to Sony's game rental program.

I think I might download Halo 3 again and give it another shot. I had it preordered and bought it day one, but the CoD beta pretty much destroyed any hype/hope I had for it. And I hear there's a decent amount of free DLC?

Excellent news. Outside of Dark Souls 2 and Lords of Shadow 2, looks like I'm done buying 360 games with this promotion. Theres bound to be some games I haven't played yet, and I still have a rather sizeable backlog with the X1 approaching.

It's just that simple.

I'm glad Halo 3 being free this month has gotten people playing online MP again. Saw nearly 50K people on last night.

Some games have been pretty bad but I did pick up DeadRising2 which was okay online and my Girlfriend has been playing Assassins Creed 2.

I hope something like Alan Wake goes free so more people can get into that missed out on it before.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Good to know it has been extended. I had no interest in the Assassin's Creed franchise, but with Assassin's Creed II being free I figured to give it a try and I loved it. I've now bought Brotherhood, Revelations and III.

This is one of the intentions for these programs.

Glad to see it being extended. Though I must say games with gold hasn't been working to my benefit since every game that's gone free I already own except that tower defense game.

J_Allard said:
I see another thread about MS's free games program is being ruined by comparisons to Sony's game rental program.

To be fair MS's online gaming rental program (which includes free games for a short period) is very similar to Sony's rental game program. Though I agree it's getting monotonous seeing the same thing in a different thread.

Xenostar said:
endimion said:
Xenostar said:
endimion said:
same for me... my baclog is increasing faster than I can play them games :D

now I wonder what kind of morons are those 3% that said free games were bad....

Alot of them are on these forums, loads of Xbox players saying it was stupid when sony was the only one doing it, i assume there opinon hasnt changed. 

well I can see it being debatable for PSN+ since you don't get to keep them if you decide to stop getting PSN+... but here you get them and you keep them no matter what.... how can that be bad....  now don't get me wrong both are great plans... but I hardly see any valid reasons against XBL game for gold plan... you pay the price of 1 full retail game  a year (max) and you will be able to potentially get 24 games for free yours to keep... now that's some great value even if it would be only bargain bin games it would still be a great deal... granted you don't have all of them already... but imagine a new owner... there is no doubt that getting gold is a great option

now if they put back that plan on XB1 next E3 that will be a great selling point for a lot of people still on the edge... since any game won't be older than a year then... could even be better than a price cut

Ive never said games for gold is bad, im saying alot of people said PSN+ was bad untill MS started giving away games, then all of a sudden its a great idea. 

I hope they do go to XB1, pity they havent confirmed it already tho, PSN+ is confirmed for PS4 day 1 with 2 free games day 1.

I guess that depends on how you look at F2P games like KI (launch) and Project Spark (2014). But I look at this "games with gold" as an added value, not the reason I pay for XBL. It is a nice added value though :).

Puppyroach said:
Xenostar said:
endimion said:
Xenostar said:
endimion said:
same for me... my baclog is increasing faster than I can play them games :D

now I wonder what kind of morons are those 3% that said free games were bad....

Alot of them are on these forums, loads of Xbox players saying it was stupid when sony was the only one doing it, i assume there opinon hasnt changed. 

well I can see it being debatable for PSN+ since you don't get to keep them if you decide to stop getting PSN+... but here you get them and you keep them no matter what.... how can that be bad....  now don't get me wrong both are great plans... but I hardly see any valid reasons against XBL game for gold plan... you pay the price of 1 full retail game  a year (max) and you will be able to potentially get 24 games for free yours to keep... now that's some great value even if it would be only bargain bin games it would still be a great deal... granted you don't have all of them already... but imagine a new owner... there is no doubt that getting gold is a great option

now if they put back that plan on XB1 next E3 that will be a great selling point for a lot of people still on the edge... since any game won't be older than a year then... could even be better than a price cut

Ive never said games for gold is bad, im saying alot of people said PSN+ was bad untill MS started giving away games, then all of a sudden its a great idea. 

I hope they do go to XB1, pity they havent confirmed it already tho, PSN+ is confirmed for PS4 day 1 with 2 free games day 1.

I guess that depends on how you look at F2P games like KI (launch) and Project Spark (2014). But I look at this "games with gold" as an added value, not the reason I pay for XBL. It is a nice added value though :).

I look at F2P as what it is F2P, and there are 5 of them on PS4, i dont include this in PSN+, but yeah you could argue there are 7 free games on PS4 (2013).

Edit

I am excited for project spark, so pleased its coming to PC too, ill be getting that day 1.