By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Games with Gold extended on 360!

Adinnieken said:
Xenostar said:

erm i know its the truth, i still think the value is not as good.

Rent lots of the latest games indefinatley, have alot less really old games permanently, i guess if you go back and play old games alot it might be better for you, i usually want to play the latest titles so indefinate rental or not, its better value to me. 

Yes, because renting is always a better value than owning.

You must be the CEO of Rent-A-Center.

I never said its always better, i said renting lots of new content which has a good chance of including games you hadnt got round to buying yet or couldnt afford yet is better than owning really old content that surely by now you already bought or decided you didnt want anyway.

But i expect Games for gold content will become more relevant as they carry on with it, as i also said earlier it took psn+ sometime to get up to speed on decent content. 

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
Xenostar said:

Ive never said games for gold is bad, im saying alot of people said PSN+ was bad untill MS started giving away games, then all of a sudden its a great idea. 

I hope they do go to XB1, pity they havent confirmed it already tho, PSN+ is confirmed for PS4 day 1 with 2 free games day 1.

Um...I think day one is now down to 1 free game.  The free Drive Club game for PS+ members was just confirmed delayed.

So, both the Xbox One and the PS4 have a free game available to paying subscribers on day one.  Xbox One gets Killer Instinct (the complete game free with one playable character) and whatever the second game available on PS+.

By the way, it's PlayStation Plus (PS+) NOT PlayStation Network Plus (PSN+).  Get your damn acronyms correct.

Wrong its still 2.

kitler53 said:

./ignore rest of thread

yes, yo_john.. i agree.  extending this on 360 is nice and all but MS ought to show they are serious about the program and extend it to xbone.  regardless of the semantics of how games are delivered... MS really ought to match the value sony is providing with their service if they want to remain competitive.  now that ps+ is required for multiplayer on ps4 a lot more people will have it and i expect the good word of mouth about it to expand.   

The purpose of the Games for Gold feature is to extend the life of the Xbox 360 beyond the Xbox One launch.  The idea is to keep gamers gaming on both platforms, rather than abandon the older one.  The same is true with PS+, hence why if you're currently a PS+ member you don't have to get another subscription for the PS4 or the Vita.

As for the Xbox One, on Day One they get Xbox Fitness free for a year, as well as Killer Instinct.  But my guess is after six months Microsoft will begin making some games available for free from the Xbox One library.  DriveClub for PS+ isn't much of a game, it's intended to intice gamers to purchase DriveClub.  And since that's now delayed there is only one game available for free for PS+ members. 

Adinnieken said:
Lafiel said:

Neither does MS, you are only receiving copies of these games if you pay for gold.

That is incorrect.  Absolutely, positively incorrect.

If you are an Xbox LIVE Gold subscriber and you download something for free, it is free forever.  You can delete it, and you will still be able to redownload it again and again as many times as you want.  Even if you are no longer an Xbox LIVE Gold member.  I can attest to this.

In fact, during this latest Games for Gold deal (Halo 3), Microsoft also offered a free Xbox LIVE weekend.  Guess what?  Everyone that had a free (aka Silver) account was able to go online and download Halo 3 for free and they now own it forever.  They can play the offline features with their free account just like someone who has a Gold account, and they can delete and redownload the game as often as they want.

I see, so my wording was false there - you need to have access to Xbox Live Gold to receive these games. In most cases you need to pay for this access, yet there are cases like the free weekend or free monthly vouchers and such that actually let you receive the games for free. That's very generous of MS.

Your wording in the post I answered to wasn't entirely accurate either for example in the sentence "Sony doesn't give you any free games.". In fact I did receive free games from Sony, just not through PS+ (which you didn't mention as condition).

Seece said:
Going by how many were buying GTAIV just a couple of months ago, there is definitely demand for some older games out there.

I wouldn't mind older games. Ace Combat 6: Fire of Liberation is still the best flight combat simulator for the 7th gen. Hope it comes in the program so Namco can follow up.

Around the Network
Xenostar said:

Wrong its still 2.

What are the two?  I only knew of the DriveClub for PS+.

Goatseye said:
Seece said:
Going by how many were buying GTAIV just a couple of months ago, there is definitely demand for some older games out there.

I wouldn't mind older games. Ace Combat 6: Fire of Liberation is still the best flight combat simulator for the 7th gen. Hope it comes in the program so Namco can follow up.

Wouldn't mind Tomb Raider, Skyrim and Rayman Legends, any of those will be years away tho.

Adinnieken said:
Xenostar said:

Wrong its still 2.

What are the two?  I only knew of the DriveClub for PS+.

Resogun and Contrast. Both brand new games.

Seece said:
Goatseye said:
Seece said:

Wouldn't mind Tomb Raider, Skyrim and Rayman Legends, any of those will be years away tho.

That's not MS's fault. Publishers certainly don't want to give away those games so soon. With PS Plus they would get part of the rent Sony collects for every download.

Awesome news! But the game selection could definitely improve. I've played or own almost every game released so far. Would love to see some lesser known gems, or, if it's a blockbuster, at least a blockbuster from this decade.

It's a really nice service for brand new Xbox owners, though, who haven't had the chance to buy games like Halo 3 and Crackdown.