By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 'Skyward Sword' should have been released as a launch title for the Wii U instead of a game for the Wii.

It could however been a system seller had Nintendo waited to release it on the U.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

Around the Network

No.

Possibly it should have, but I'm sure Nintendo wasn't expecting Wii U to sell as poorly as it has, so they would have been confident that Wii U sales would be decent without a Zelda title at launch. Unlike Wii. I'm sure Nintendo backed Wii to do better than Game Cube but it was far from a sure thing, so they needed to really pad out the launch line up to improve Wii's chances. But as things turned out I bet the didn't need TP on Wii at all at least not at launch.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Disagree.. then the Wii wouldn't have had an original Zelda on it and would have pissed of 132.. no make that 133 fans pissed of and 12391 angry forum posts on the internet.. its better that they can make a new Zelda suited for the strenghts of the WiiU and not a gimped game cause it was a originally aWii game

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

BasilZero said:

Should of been a release on both Wii and WiiU just like how TP was released on GCN and the Wii.

That would have left Wii (the most successful Nintendo home console) with no exclusive Zelda game. 

OT: Nope. The last two years of Wii were bad enough in terms of software. This would have made it even worse. 

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
Disagree.. then the Wii wouldn't have had an original Zelda on it and would have pissed of 132.. no make that 133 fans pissed of and 12391 angry forum posts on the internet.. its better that they can make a new Zelda suited for the strenghts of the WiiU and not a gimped game cause it was a originally aWii game

Hey i would have been that 133rd person and i didn't even have a Wii during its lifetime. Imagine going a full year without an angry birds game and you'll understand the anger Nintendo fans would have felt. 

Not like one can't pick it up now and play. Wii U is the only home console offering backwards compatibility. 

I understand what you're saying, but I think a Wii release was right for Skyward Sword. The Wii needed a homegrown Zelda adventure and it needed high-profile games in its final 18 months. Plus the raison d'être of Skyward Sword was its incredible motion controls, so releasing the game with GamePad controls defeats its own purpose, as Jake LaMotta would say.

It should have been  like TP on Wii and GC. Skyward sword with same visuals as Wii but with higher resolution is absolutely gorgeous!

Maybe, but I think it was best as-is. Wii Needed one big titles to keep Nintendo's brand alive. 2 years without a major Nintendo release would be far too long.

I like the concept though, and I think a much better option would have been to delay the Last Story for two years and put a bunch more effort and money into it. Bring it up to the next-gen level and use that as a Wii U launch title. They could have promoted it as a Final Fantasy killer/spiritual successor. It would have been perfect for the core audience and really attracted RPG fans, especially when they followed it up with a trailer for X.

bad idea.