By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why third parties should not develope on PS3 or 360

The Japanese 360 games will definitely do better, but how much? The 360's software library weighs heavily into certain genre's, while completely ignoring others. I don't see the jrpg's doing too well considering the majority of the 360's fanbase. :o As an American gamer who plays a variety of Japanese games almost exclusively, I feel that the 360, and even the PS3 are currently lacking in those software titles. Even at a $200 price point for either I couldn't justify their purchase. And personally, while I'm very interested in Eternal Sonata, I also think that Blue Dragon looks uber crappy. I realize I'll upset a few people with saying it, but after watching a few videos of it, I was completely disappointed.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Around the Network

Maybe if this gen was as carbon copy as the past gens were I would be with you on this one. But its not. These trends of past gens may very well mean NOTHING this time. Maybe Nintendo wins Japan and STILL loses in the end. I mean, look at how different things are now. We have 2 power house consoles and one that isn't even comparable power wise making multi plat games an absolute mystery. The fact that we have 3 strong competitors period throws a wrench into this gen. I just think that chart you posted, although impressive is pretty useless. We all know the Wii is doing well, but the third parties are not going to just abandon the other two. Due to Wii being weaker, some visions for games will not translate well on the Wii, whether you like it or not. Now I'm not saying there are games that the devs couldnt manage to squeeze out of the wii if they tried, I'm saying some stuff like dead rising and FF13 wont see the light of day on wii. Again not because they couldnt MANAGE to get a good version running on it, but because, well they have a CHOICE of squeezing it into the wii, or just relaxing and putting it on 360 or PS3 with either no squeezing or very little of it. Thats what I meant when I said if this was a carbon copy gen (if the wii was as strong as 360 and PS3) I would absolutely say it was going to suck away all the 3rd party major support and run away with the victory. But this time we have some massive variables with the controller and power and 3 strong platforms, not to mention that some still have that FUD about the Wii falling off a cliff (popularity and sales wise) sometime in the future. Since this gen is just so different I don't think anything can be counted on, all of the early signs of victory that we are so accustomed to using as proof that a certain console will win out in the end are no longer as rock solid as before. We are forced to wait until we actually SEE what happens.

I agree that 3rd parties would be smart to make games for Wii that will sell strongly in Japan, but in America right now you may make more money on a 360 game or a 360 game and a port to PS3. Wii has the advantage of being the most diverse system, sells well in every territory, and is cheap to develop for. However the 1 year head start for the 360 will give them the advantage for games that appeal to NA and Europe. Of course this is changing, and 1 year from now we may be saying something different.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

catprog said:

Mnementh said:

3. Yes, development may be cheaper for the Wii. But then you can Multiplatform on 360, PS3 and PC. That reduces costs also. 

No. It increases costs. What you probably  trying to say is you can target a bigger market for a comparatively little extra cost.

Yes, that was what I meant. Thanks for the correction.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The original post it flamebait.. your saying ignore the console with the biggest user base. Add the fact that 360 games can be easily ported to PC and then you have a userbase of... alot of people This is dumb.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

that was LOL =))) really, developers! don`t develop FFXIII or MGS4! We don`t want such amazing graphics. =)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Because it takes about 12 to 24 months to make a game, developers will be trying to predict the future market, so on current numbers not looking at trends, Wii, 360 and PS3 it would be wise to sell to all systems as it stands now, But when looking at trends, the Wii may have the best user base in 2 yrs, so making the decision to always make games for the Wii will be a high priority, the 360 may not be quite as high, and the PS3 may be a distant 3rd on the priority list, although 360 ports to PS3 will be easy enough.

I'm having trouble coming up with any scenario that would make Wii more favorable, either currently or in the future. It does have a market that can't be ignored, but something will always be a more lucrative option.

Ya know, as much as ive lost faith in a lot of corperations and people of power i truly think that the people that are REALLY good at developing games really do it for th elove of their craft, for the art and for the skill and being proud of their work. Its not always a "its easier and makes more money" sometimes the pride of professionals comes into play.

An anaology is a professional athlete.....how many people would say, "man if i could be a back up third basemen in the bigs making 400,000 a year to eat sunflower seeds id have it made" well pros dont think liek that, they dont get to the pinnacle of their craft by being lazy and not driven if a bit egocentric in their motivations......i think this is teh ame for any professional who gets to certain levels.

I guess what im saying is, and please wii fans dont take this the wrong way i have a wii and i love it, but i think a lot of the big wigs arent gonna sacrifice the big boys to make a less impressive easier buck.....as much as it contradicts modern society, i have a hunch the wii isnt going to have this effect on 3rd parties.

And another thing ive been kicking around my head, if this were how the industry worked, wed see every dev jumping over to making generic DS games to capitlize on its install base around the world, as well as PSP love (20 million is pretty good)

Rab said:
Because it takes about 12 to 24 months to make a game, developers will be trying to predict the future market, so on current numbers not looking at trends, Wii, 360 and PS3 it would be wise to sell to all systems as it stands now, But when looking at trends, the Wii may have the best user base in 2 yrs, so making the decision to always make games for the Wii will be a high priority, the 360 may not be quit as high, and the PS3 may be a distant 3rd on the priority list, although 360 ports to PS3 will be easy enough.

The Wii has a wide userbase of different demographics. Any M rated game will most likely sell better on the PS3 and 360 then the Wii.

Parents will not buy GrandTheft Auto for their toddlers... So yeah the Wii userbase might be bigger in the future but it probably won't sell hardcore games too well.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)