By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U hardware up 685% in UK!

Max King of the Wild said:
Ps1 outsold the SNES starting off. Ps2 outsold the Ps1 starting off. The Wii outsold the Ps2 starting off... but no one is going to outsell the ps3 (a second place console) starting off this next gen... Okay guys

You really should take a look at the link Zorg provided a few posts up.  According to that you're wrong about PS1 vs SNES (not until '97) and even PS2 vs PS1 (not until '02).  Of course the Wii beat everything right away; it was a phenomenon at a mass market price.  So it's clear that it's the rare exception that a new console can come along and trounce the competition in its first year.

Now, the PS4 might beat the PS3 in 2014 given all of the circumstances (as I said, we'll see), but WiiU in its first year losing in sales to the "8 year old" PS3 and 360 given their strong support/low prices in 2013 is not surprising, which was my entire point.

Around the Network

So the Wii U sales have increased by almost 700% and it is still the worst selling Home Console. Its the same thing that happened to the Vita when Persona 4 Golden got released. Ohh well I am sure Nintendo is already making profit on Wind Waker HD, and as long as they are making money with their games it doesn´t matter all that much how many Hardware they sell I guess.

archbrix said:
Ps1 outsold the SNES starting off. Ps2 outsold the Ps1 starting off. The Wii outsold the Ps2 starting off... but no one is going to outsell the ps3 (a second place console) starting off this next gen... Okay guys

You really should take a look at the link Zorg provided a few posts up.  According to that you're wrong about PS1 vs SNES (not until '97) and even PS2 vs PS1 (not until '02).  Of course the Wii beat everything right away; it was a phenomenon at a mass market price.  So it's clear that it's the rare exception that a new console can come along and trounce the competition in its first year.

Now, the PS4 might beat the PS3 in 2014 given all of the circumstances (as I said, we'll see), but WiiU in its first year losing in sales to the "8 year old" PS3 and 360 given their strong support/low prices in 2013 is not surprising, which was my entire point.

The SNES and Ps1 sold more than 9 million (a fifth of SNES and a tenth of Ps1 sales) in it's 6th and 5th year on the market? Please son... theres no way.

Ps2 sold 9.21mil units in the April '00 - March '01. And Ps1 sold 9.20mil units in FY '96 with being released in America 3 months. In 2000 Ps1 sold 9.31... OMG 9.31 > 9.21... Oh wait... Ps2 launched in US and Europe in Oct and Nov... so unless you think the Ps2 can sell damn near the same amount with having about 9months less time in the majority of the world WITHOUT selling more units... then yes, the Ps2 didnt sell more units the year it launched (LOLOLOLOLOL)

zorg1000 said:

1. PS3 & 360 had plenty of weeks in there first year that were 80k or under. 2. PS1 and NES likely did as well, both of them were slow starters.

1. And those were never considered "decent."  They were always horrendous and it doesn't change for the Wii U... 80k is plain bad...

2. Not sure about the NES... but please... you do know why it was a "slow" starter right? It launched in the US and Europe a year after Japan... After that it never looked back. If Wii U was only out in Japan then yes, 80k would be phenomenal... but thats not the case

zorg1000 said:

1. PS3 & 360 had plenty of weeks in there first year that were 80k or under. 2. PS1 and NES likely did as well, both of them were slow starters.

1. And those were never considered "decent."  They were always horrendous and it doesn't change for the Wii U... 80k is plain bad...

2. Not sure about the NES... but please... you do know why it was a "slow" starter right? It launched in the US and Europe a year after Japan... After that it never looked back. If Wii U was only out in Japan then yes, 80k would be phenomenal... but thats not the case

NES had a slow start Iin US and never really caught on in Europe. Ill try finding the link but if I remember correctly, NES only sold like 2m in USA in 1986 which was its first full year on the market.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

NES is irrelevant anyway. You are talking about an unestablished brand and product trying to penetrate the market 30 years ago. NES' performace is irrelevant to the Wii U's. Wii U is coming off of the Wii. Nintendo is estalished. Game consoles are established products. Don't expect NES type sales from the Wii U. That will only lead to heart ache. Keep your expectations between N64 and SNES.

archbrix said:

The SNES and Ps1 sold more than 9 million (a fifth of SNES and a tenth of Ps1 sales) in it's 6th and 5th year on the market? Please son... theres no way.

Ps2 sold 9.21mil units in the April '00 - March '01. And Ps1 sold 9.20mil units in FY '96 with being released in America 3 months. In 2000 Ps1 sold 9.31... OMG 9.31 > 9.21... Oh wait... Ps2 launched in US and Europe in Oct and Nov... so unless you think the Ps2 can sell damn near the same amount with having about 9months less time in the majority of the world WITHOUT selling more units... then yes, the Ps2 didnt sell more units the year it launched (LOLOLOLOLOL)

You sound quite defensive there...

Regarding your first paragraph, yes, it is possible.  The SNES had big games releasing in '94 (DKC, Super Metroid, Super Street Fighter 2) and '95 (DKC 2, Yoshi's Island).  As you can see from the chart, FY '93 and '94 were the biggest years for the SNES with over 11m each year.  So with price drops and even more games, 4.4m in FY '95 and 5.8m in '96 are certainly possible.

As for your second paragraph, I honestly can't remember what big games the PS1 had after MGS in '98 other than Final Fantasy 8 and 9, but what I do remember was that the PS1 was difficult to find in the St Louis area during the holiday of 2000 (whereas the N64 was everywhere), so it's not far fetched that the dirt cheap PS1 was, at the very least, not drastically outsold in FY '01 by the massively hyped PS2.  So my point still stands:  It's the exception, not the rule, that a brand new console can beat an established console at its cheapest price with an amassed library of games.

Now, the information on that chart could very well be inaccurate, but it's not a surprise that someone who thinks himself to be infallible would inherently dismiss anything that opposes his views - even in the face of logic.

archbrix said:
archbrix said:

Regarding your first paragraph, yes, it is possible.  The SNES had big games releasing in '94 (DKC, Super Metroid, Super Street Fighter 2) and '95 (DKC 2, Yoshi's Island).  As you can see from the chart, FY '93 and '94 were the biggest years for the SNES with over 11m each year.  So with price drops and even more games, 4.4m in FY '95 and 5.8m in '96 are certainly possible.

As for your second paragraph, I honestly can't remember what big games the PS1 had after MGS in '98 other than Final Fantasy 8 and 9, but what I do remember was that the PS1 was difficult to find in the St Louis area during the holiday of 2000 (whereas the N64 was everywhere), so it's not far fetched that the dirt cheap PS1 was, at the very least, not drastically outsold in FY '01 by the massively hyped PS2.  So my point still stands:  It's the exception, not the rule, that a brand new console can beat an established console at its cheapest price with an amassed library of games.

Now, the information on that chart could very well be inaccurate, but it's not a surprise that someone who thinks himself to be infallible would inherently dismiss anything that opposes his views - even in the face of logic.

5.8m is a far cry from 9.1m dont cha think? Ya know... the amount Sony Ps1 sold in '96... Ya know, the same time period the Wii U would be in right know... but hey... dont let that logic interfere with you

Yeah, but the Wii U is being PRAISED at the moment for its upcoming library additions, and the price drop is now in order just in time for holiday season. This means sales will zip up so numbers don't matter (atleast right now).  The numbers will matter when 2014 arrives and then we will see the real truth for the next gen console war, and right now Wii U is having really good chances at winning, yet again.

archbrix said:

5.8m is a far cry from 9.1m dont cha think? Ya know... the amount Sony Ps1 sold in '96... Ya know, the same time period the Wii U would be in right know... but hey... dont let that logic interfere with you

What on earth are you even talking about here?