By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - HP's relations with microsoft are moving farther apart

dallas said:
NiKKoM said:
dallas said:
HP just introduced a $279 Chromebook, which moves them one step away from MSFT.

Acer is launching a $249 Chromebook, which also moves them one step away from MSFT....
"Thinner, longer lasting, and Haswell
A big leap in battery life could drive sales of the lilliputian Chromebooks."
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/acers-c720-chromebook-launched-thinner-longer-lasting-and-haswell/

You do know that with every chrome device.. There are royalties payed to MS because of patents? Like with Android?

You do know that royalties for Windows would be much worse to pay than a few patents, right?  You do know that by bypassing Windows, that the majority of users doing so will avoid MSFT's ecosystem, right?  
You're focused entirely too much on patent royalties, and losing sight of the picture.

Lol.. Its like you are saying that the chromebooks are replacing the laptop models with Windows on it.. windows is way too important in HP main enterprise business.. You're focused on the demise of MS and lose sight of the bigger picture.. HP is a shit company and has been trying to compete with companies like MS.. They have tried and failed and are searching for every opportunity to reach a New market cause at this rate HP will go down way before MS will.. Its cutting 29.000 jobs.. Does that mean anything to you or are you also blaming MS for that

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
dallas said:
NiKKoM said:
dallas said:
HP just introduced a $279 Chromebook, which moves them one step away from MSFT.

Acer is launching a $249 Chromebook, which also moves them one step away from MSFT....
"Thinner, longer lasting, and Haswell
A big leap in battery life could drive sales of the lilliputian Chromebooks."
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/acers-c720-chromebook-launched-thinner-longer-lasting-and-haswell/

You do know that with every chrome device.. There are royalties payed to MS because of patents? Like with Android?

You do know that royalties for Windows would be much worse to pay than a few patents, right?  You do know that by bypassing Windows, that the majority of users doing so will avoid MSFT's ecosystem, right?  
You're focused entirely too much on patent royalties, and losing sight of the picture.

Lol.. Its like you are saying that the chromebooks are replacing the laptop models with Windows on it.. windows is way too important in HP main enterprise business.. You're focused on the demise of MS and lose sight of the bigger picture.. HP is a shit company and has been trying to compete with companies like MS.. They have tried and failed and are searching for every opportunity to reach a New market cause at this rate HP will go down way before MS will.. Its cutting 29.000 jobs.. Does that mean anything to you or are you also blaming MS for that

I'm not saying that Chromebooks are in danger of replacing anything, but rather, that MSFT will have to cede more market share to Chromebooks, bc they are on a roll and going strong.  

Whether HP is a middling business doesn't really matter at all, bc they'll just follow the market just like any other manufacturer.  Android tablets are selling, so they will make them.  More Chromebooks are being sold, so they will put them at a spot right by their windows laptops...... and eventually their prominence should grow, i'm sure that we can both agree on that.  

Just clarifying.

dallas said:

I'm not saying that Chromebooks are in danger of replacing anything, but rather, that MSFT will have to cede more market share to Chromebooks, bc they are on a roll and going strong.  

Whether HP is a middling business doesn't really matter at all, bc they'll just follow the market just like any other manufacturer.  Android tablets are selling, so they will make them.  More Chromebooks are being sold, so they will put them at a spot right by their windows laptops...... and eventually their prominence should grow, i'm sure that we can both agree on that.  

Just clarifying.

Sure i can see chrome is growing i cant deny that,. But if you say that you can't say that Windows Phone isn't growing Into promince with it sales growing to 9.2% in Europe for the last quarter.. But i must have missed your thread about that

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

dallas said:

"HP does not make any Microsoft products.  They do make a lot of products that use Microsoft software, and they will likely continue to do so." 

Alright, but that is entirely a matter of semantics.  Big deal.  Secondly you mention MSFT's server solutions, but IBM for example is starting to champion linux servers, and is spending a billion dollars over the next 4-5 years to promote linux servers bc they see the market moving towards linux.  

Dallas, stop.  You're way to young to know anything of what you're talking about.

IBM has been using Linux for years.  The reason they're doing that is because they're moving away from AIX, their Unix platform, and moving toward Linux.  This has been an ongoing process and it'll likely continue until they finally pull the plug on AIX.  Which, as of this writing, is still their primary enterprise OS.

But guess what.  If you want IBM servers with Windows on it, you can buy them with Windows.  Their x86 line of servers support Windows, Linux, and even Solaris.

No one is giving up the Windows server market because the Windows server market is actually very strong. 

Again, look at IBM.  IBM sold off it's PC business.  Why?  Because the business was losing market share despite the fact that IBM laptops were one of highest quality laptops.  With the exception of IBM laptops, IBM was losing market share.  Seriously, no one cared about IBM desktops after they made a push with their Aptiva line in the 1990's.

HP is in the same boat now and they want to blame Microsoft.  IBM never blamed Microsoft, they competed against them. 

I don't see the issue.

Google are starting to make their own hardware. Apple make their own.
Microsoft HAVE to make their own.

PC's wont be desktop things in 15 years time. Microsoft sense this and are doing something about it now. Xbox One is an extremely risky decision with Windows 8. It will either gain massive advantages for Windows or not. An all in One box could become the biggest thing since slice bread for the living room. Theirs Huge rumours Microsoft have given it full Mouse and Keyboard ability to. Whats nect Home Office for Xbox One and wireless printer access? Surface RT had this, so that is entirely possible. Xbox One could be an Xbox, Surface and Media device all made easy in one package for the next 10 years.

I actually think Microsoft wont create a console after this. They will create TV's with all this built in. Makes so much sense.

Around the Network

Yes! Yes! There's just more and more signs that MS is getting weaker, and there could finally be hope of getting rid of Windows eventually. Not going to happen any time soon, but it seems it will actually happen at some point.

Thank you for posting, this article is of interest to me

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

NiKKoM said:
dallas said:

Just clarifying.

Sure i can see chrome is growing i cant deny that,. But if you say that you can't say that Windows Phone isn't growing Into promince with it sales growing to 9.2% in Europe for the last quarter.. But i must have missed your thread about that

I have said multiple times that I beleive that Windows Phone will ultimately achieve 15% market share, perhaps even 20%.  But regardless, it will have to fight much harder for this market share, and it won't be like the glory days of the 80's and 90's where there was basically a MSFT monopoly, with Apple getting another 8% or so.  20% is a far cry from the 90% that MSFT has been enjoying, and the market is moving to mobile, so MSFT is going to be in a world of hurt if current trends continue.  

Zkuq said:
Yes! Yes! There's just more and more signs that MS is getting weaker, and there could finally be hope of getting rid of Windows eventually. Not going to happen any time soon, but it seems it will actually happen at some point.

What the hell?

What do you suggest millions of users around the world should use? Linux?

Captain_Tom said:
Seriously I am worried about MS. Over the past few years I have seen more and more indications that Microsoft is a sinking ship with no vision. I like Windows 8 so I hope I am wrong, but they are one or two massive failures away from the "writing being on the wall." ....

I'd be more worried for HP than MS.... everything MS is working on is going up beside bing maybe and even there it is going up since their solution is used by third parties (website, companies, etc).... I'm thinking quite the opposite of you.... every major brands with innovative concept are finally moving towards win8.... win7 is still doing great (yeah people forget that, even if people refuse to buy win8 and go with 7 the money still goes to MS) heck even vista has more market share today than OSX 10.8

OS trend is still in favor of MS for PC

but the most probent part is the 8% trend decline in mobile/tablet Os decline over year for iOs and just 1% increase for android... where do you think that trend went.... certainly not symbian, blackberry or javaMe....

nothing is truely wrong with MS... even if win8 was a vista remake (which it is not by a long shot and with the new MS philosophy and release cycle will only get better within the lifecycle of the OS) win9 will eventually come arround in 4 years or so....

my kids will still know MS as a leading software company, no doubt about it....