By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - TRUE XB1 vs PS4 spec comparison

Everyone and their pet cat knows the Playstation 4 is more powerfull than the Xbox One, the question that most people are interested to know is: By how much in the real world?

You also contradicted yourself with those two statements, essentially. :P

The *real* comparison isn't going to be at launch, maybe a year or two after, once developers have gotten used to the Xbox One's particular nuances.

No, we dont actually know the PS4 is more powerful, sorry. Certainly, the first party games dont show it. If I was an alien dropped in, the X1 exclusives look at least as good as the PS4 ones.

The spec comparison shows what people dont talk about, X1 has a large advantage in bandwidth. Sorry, math and facts are just reality. It's there. Period. The X1 is more powerful in an important area (not counting the other areas such as the X1's more powerful CPU, and more geometry ability than PS4). The numbers dont lie.

I think another big issue for PS4 is Sony says the machine is balanced for 14 CU's. If this is a real thing then 14 CU's for graphics is a gamechanger and means PS4 is about the same as X1 in CU's.

Disregarding of course the future potential of cloud, which must be the terrifying gorilla in the corner to Sony fans...

It's also misleasding to state launch games are not a fair comparison. PS4 isn't being fully exploited at launch, but neither is X1. That's the point people are failing to recognize. It's not one machine failing to be exploited but the other is.

If devs are tapping 40% of Ps4's potential at launch, they are also tapping only 40% of X1's potential. They are at the same stage of software development on both machines at any given time. In 2 years they will tap PS4 more, but they will also tap X1 more by the same amount.

Around the Network
fallen said:

Everyone and their pet cat knows the Playstation 4 is more powerfull than the Xbox One, the question that most people are interested to know is: By how much in the real world?

The *real* comparison isn't going to be at launch, maybe a year or two after, once developers have gotten used to the Xbox One's particular nuances.

No, we dont actually know the PS4 is more powerful, sorry. Certainly, the first party games dont show it. If I was an alien dropped in, the X1 exclusives look at least as good as the PS4 ones.

The spec comparison shows what people dont talk about, X1 has a large advantage in bandwidth. Sorry, math and facts are just reality. It's there. Period. The X1 is more powerful in an important area (not counting the other areas such as the X1's more powerful CPU, and more geometry ability than PS4). The numbers dont lie.

I think another big issue for PS4 is Sony says the machine is balanced for 14 CU's. If this is a real thing then 14 CU's for graphics is a gamechanger and means PS4 is about the same as X1 in CU's.

Disregarding of course the future potential of cloud, which must be the terrifying gorilla in the corner to Sony fans...

It's also misleasding to state launch games are not a fair comparison. PS4 isn't being fully exploited at launch, but neither is X1. That's the point people are failing to recognize. It's not one machine failing to be exploited but the other is.

If devs are tapping 40% of Ps4's potential at launch, they are also tapping only 40% of X1's potential. They are at the same stage of software development on both machines at any given time. In 2 years they will tap PS4 more, but they will also tap X1 more by the same amount.

You are projecting so much. The cloud can only effectively offload tasks, not create better graphics from the could itself. Xbox One games can be played offline as well, and devs can't have that difference when the games are offline. Which is a reason Sony isn't banking on the Cloud, because they have something proven. Also you need to have servers basically all around the world even in remote places for the Cloud computing you allude to, to be feasable for everyone. Or else it is another #dealwithit

Also the memory bandwith advantage you are talking about isn't even possible. If anything they both have a similar theoretical max in bandwith. But the difference is the ESRAM. The frame buffering alone on Killzone Shadow Fall (around 47mb) wouldn't be possible on the Xbox One at 1080p at the AA it uses. It is a simple fact. Memory or not (which isn't even a problem) the PS4 is way more powerful. Plus GPU's just eat up GDDR5.

I'll leave on this note, the GPU difference is real, the bandwith difference has been super cloudy at best, and the Xbox One is trading resoution for graphics.

fallen said:

Why do you insist on bringing up this 14CU nonsense? It has been beaten to death now in at least 2346 threads. The PS4 has 18CUs usable for graphics, 50% more than the XBox One.

In the past weeks I have asked several more tech-savvy colleagues than me about the bandwidth mystery math MS pr has given out ("272GB/s", "204GB/s" "rmw cycles are the secret", etc, etc), since I can't figure out how they get to those numbers. Neither has anyone else in other forums figured it out yet. None of my colleagues could figure it out either, the average answer was "bullshitting numbers" at this stage. Until MS comes clean and really explains the inner workings, so far the best theory is a max bandwidth of around 149GB/s (under certain conditions). So no, X1 does not have any bandwidth advantage, and postulating anything else is just pr nonsense at this stage.

drkohler said:
fallen said:

Why do you insist on bringing up this 14CU nonsense? It has been beaten to death now in at least 2346 threads. The PS4 has 18CUs usable for graphics, 50% more than the XBox One.

In the past weeks I have asked several more tech-savvy colleagues than me about the bandwidth mystery math MS pr has given out ("272GB/s", "204GB/s" "rmw cycles are the secret", etc, etc), since I can't figure out how they get to those numbers. Neither has anyone else in other forums figured it out yet. None of my colleagues could figure it out either, the average answer was "bullshitting numbers" at this stage. Until MS comes clean and really explains the inner workings, so far the best theory is a max bandwidth of around 149GB/s (under certain conditions). So no, X1 does not have any bandwidth advantage, and postulating anything else is just pr nonsense at this stage.

Mark Cerny himself in an Interview said that it was NOT 14CU + 4 and that all 18 are for graphics.

Whitefire said:
fallen said:

You are projecting so much. The cloud can only effectively offload tasks, not create better graphics from the could itself. Xbox One games can be played offline as well, and devs can't have that difference when the games are offline. Which is a reason Sony isn't banking on the Cloud, because they have something proven. Also you need to have servers basically all around the world even in remote places for the Cloud computing you allude to, to be feasable for everyone. Or else it is another #dealwithit

Also the memory bandwith advantage you are talking about isn't even possible. If anything they both have a similar theoretical max in bandwith. But the difference is the ESRAM. The frame buffering alone on Killzone Shadow Fall (around 47mb) wouldn't be possible on the Xbox One at 1080p at the AA it uses. It is a simple fact. Memory or not (which isn't even a problem) the PS4 is way more powerful. Plus GPU's just eat up GDDR5.

I'll leave on this note, the GPU difference is real, the bandwith difference has been super cloudy at best, and the Xbox One is trading resoution for graphics.

You aren't even supposed to use the framebuffer in ESRAM. MS dev documents suggest putting that in DDR3.

ESRAM isn't your daddy's EDRAM, it's a lot more versatile.

GPU's "eating up GDDR5" doesn't really have any meaning at all. I'm not even sure what it's supposed to mean actually.

If you mean they eat up bandwidth, then yeah X1 has that covered through ESRAM.

Around the Network
fallen said:

No, we dont actually know the PS4 is more powerful.

If the Xbox One was more powerful, do you think they would be taking the route they are with PR, letting sony continue to say it has the most powerful console ever made?, do you not think, that in an effort to boost public opinion, they would be shouting from the rooftops if their hardware was indeed more powerful?

The sooner you accept reality the better, your forum posts are getting predictable.

Frequency said:
fallen said:

If the Xbox One was more powerful, do you think they would be taking the route they are with PR, letting sony continue to say it has the most powerful console ever made?, do you not think, that in an effort to boost public opinion, they would be shouting from the rooftops if their hardware was indeed more powerful?

The sooner you accept reality the better, your forum posts are getting predictable.

Its best to let him debate with himself. It's like arguing with a brick wall! He will never accept the truth or the facts! By now even idiots have come to the enevitable conclusion that the X1 is weaker than the PS4 by quiet a margin maybe upto 40-50%! He's in denial! Leave it at that!

fallen said:
lt_dan_27 said:
Pemalite said:
lt_dan_27 said:

The fact that the ES ram doesn't even make up 1 PERCENT of the total ram. And many devs have still said that it's diffiult to use.

So yeah, unless all the devs suck at programming for the xbone, I'd say ps4 is more powerful. 

Devs are coming out and saying that the xbox one is probably going to be 900p now. Which makes sense based on the hardware. So assuming everything else is the same, it's still decently weaker. 

900P what? and what devs? Links? (I wont hold my breath because of course there are none)

Besides Ryse of course which was already known. You said "devs" plural, like multiplatform devs.

And if you link "cboat" i will commence dying laughing.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/168630-xbox-one-graphics-output-in-900p-worse-than-ps4s-1080p

Don't know what cboat is, so cool. devs doesn't mean multiplatfrom either. But there are likely going to be games coming out soon where the res is different on ps4 and xbox one. And if you don't see how the ps4 will be stronger, then I give up on this thread. And you can't say that the OP was rediculous claiming the ps4 is like 30% weaker. Also, I don't think that's the article I read, and it was also a few weeks ago. Just google it if what I provided isn't to your liking. 

Cough up the "proof". What do you have right now to show the massively powered PS4 beating the X1 in graphics and computational power? I have not seen it. If it exists guess what? People can always BUY BOTH! That's the beauty of the PS4's price point. It's only gonna get cheaper!

Frequency said:
fallen said:

Why on earth does everyone keep arguing with a dude that has no idea on how hardware works ? -_-