By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - TRUE XB1 vs PS4 spec comparison

Imaginedvl said:
superchunk said:
See me sig. Though I guess some of that may be missing from my thread.

Well, your thread is still stating "Xbox One CPU == PS4 CPU > WiiU CPU". I thought that the Xbox One was a bit faster?
I'm not really sure which thread is really accurate this days :)

Nope.

My thread uses the "~" symbol which means their CPUs are very similar. At least too similar for me to make a n.nX type of power guestimate. I updated that a while back.

What I'm missing is some of the finer calculations theorized / rumored for triangles per second, etc.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Imaginedvl said:
superchunk said:

Well, your thread is still stating "Xbox One CPU == PS4 CPU > WiiU CPU". I thought that the Xbox One was a bit faster?

Nope.

My thread uses the "~" symbol which means their CPUs are very similar. At least too similar for me to make a n.nX type of power guestimate. I updated that a while back.

What I'm missing is some of the finer calculations theorized / rumored for triangles per second, etc.

Off-topic: Just how much do you know about hardware compared to the others on this site ?

fatslob-:O said:

Off-topic: Just how much do you know about hardware compared to the others on this site ?

Enough to understand the basic technical language being tossed around. I'm a developer by trade. However, I don't go reading deeply into the latest of GPU tech all the time and I am not a graphics/game dev. However, I do know enough that the OPs tidbits on X1's peak ram and then his math for flops based off of that are insignificant and essentially pointless in the entire discussion.

superchunk said:
Imaginedvl said:
superchunk said:

Nope.

By that logic you can almost flag everything as "very similar" and just have a technical thread about the "obvious" differences. But then, it definitly does not make it "the" thread to talk about the two machine's specs imo :)

Zappykins said:
drkohler said:
Zappykins said:

It has an extra chip for audio, but also they are promoting 4 CU's for audio.  The way the PS4 is designed is to use 14 CU's for graphics,

Will you stop promoting this nonsense? It has been debunked at least 100 times now.

Nobody is going to use the gpu for sound in PS4 games. It takes roughly 5% of a core to produce noise, 10-15% to produce good sound and 30-40% of a core to trounce anything Forza5 is currently outputting as sound. So stop this bullshit 14 CU nonsense.

I'm just going by what Sony and Cerny say.  If you have some information to prove them wrong, feel free to send them to me.  I tend to think they know what they are talking about referring to this new system.

I agree it does seem quite odd to use a GPU that way, but I'm trying to keep an open mind.  I thought it was an odd attack when I first heard it - but nope, it's what they are saying.  Denying what they have stated multiple times, just would not be respectful to what they are tying to develop and do with their new system.

you can process general game audio on a single CU, full 7.1 audio and everything is fine and dandy, you are just confused about what cerny was talking about, audio processing and audio raycasting are entirely different beasts, audio raycasting is to process audio based on in-engine rendered environments, to emulate realistic acoustics, echo and reverberation, processing this sort of sound quality takes significantly more resources than a standard audio codec can handle, using up top 4 CUs for the job however, can - but for the most part games will barely take up 30% of a single cu operational capavity for game audio unless using complex audio processes.

Recording from a dummys head with a realistic ear canal and implanted microphone is the prime example, even though the recorded sound is simply stereo it gives the realistic effect of full 3d surrounding audio, watch this video with headphones on for a demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HprNPCRyP40

This is binaural audio, or "holophonic", recorded to left and right stereo only, using the four CUs for audio processing you can render 3d audio based on environments and produce binaural audio signals for stereo, or much more immersive 3d surround for 5.1 and 7.1 audio setups.

If you just want standard audio processing however, just some of the processing time of one, is enough.

Thats the difference.

Xbox One could use CU for such audio processing too but it wouldnt leave as much resources for the game as the PS4 does, so its another area where the PS4 specification benefits greatly.

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:

LOL at the bandwidth's and ROPS, this sounds like damage controlling rather than facing some simple facts.

Edit: Why on earth is this thread just in the microsoft discussion when it supposed to be in the gaming discussion section.

That would be your post. The one trying to dismiss any area where X1 has the advantage.

TheJimbo1234 said:
fallen said:

I see a lot of so called spec comparison on places like Neogaf that are incomplete, or extremely biased towards PS4 to the point of being nonsense, so I wanted make a true, unbiased reference. The PS4 will go second and be compared to the X1 baseline in terms of percentages.

X1:

Disc: 6X Blu Ray

Disc capacity: 50 GB

HDD: 500 GB 5400 RPM

RAM quantity: 8GB

CPU: 8 core (6 game usable) 1.75 ghz Jaguar (Plus SHAPE audio chip likely ~1 CPU core of audio processing, +cloud support which we will ignore for now but could offload things like AI from X1 CPU in the future)

GPU FLOPS 1.31 teraflops

Texture units 48 at 853 mhz

Triangle setup engines: 2 at 853 mhz

ROPS 16 at 853 mhz

Peak bandwidth: 204+68=272 GB/s

Peak BW per GFLOP= 272,000 MB/S/1310=207.6 MB/S/GFLOP

PS4:

Disc: 6X Blu Ray (+0%)

Disc capacity: 50 GB (+0%)

HDD 500GB 5400 RPM (+0%)

RAM quantity: 8GB (+0%)

CPU 8 core (6 game usable) Jaguar CPU 1.6 ghz (-9% raw, -24% after removing 1 core for audio processing to match SHAPE, ignoring X1's cloud capability for now)

GPU FLOPS: 1.843 (+41%)

Texture units: 72 at 800 mhz (+41%)

Triangle setup engines: 2 at 800 mhz (-7%)

ROPS: 32 at 800 mhz (+88%) (However, the real world impact will be much lower as 16 ROPS typically enough at 1080P and less)

Peak bandwidth: 176 GB/s (-35%)

Peak BW per GFLOP: 176,000 MB/S/1843=95.5 MB/S/GFLOP (-54%)

Specs PS4 is superior in: ROPS (+88%), GFLOPS (+41%) Texture Units (+41%)

Specs X1 is superior in: CPU (+9%) Geometry setup (+7%) Peak bandwith + (55%) Peak BW per GFLOP (+117%)

Specs they are equal in: Ram capacity, Optical Disc capacity, Optical disc read speed, Hard drive read speed.

There you have the complete picture of baseline specs, subject to countless other variables we know nothing about...

From a high level, PS4 has a stronger GPU while X1 has a sigjnificant edge in peak bandwidth, and a slight to moderate advantage in CPU, which could grow if developers begin to leverage the cloud in the future. The disc read subystems and RAM quantities are identical.

How the hell did you forget to mention the different clock speeds of the memory?! Biased much.

Good point as that is an area where X1 is superior as well

ListerOfSmeg said:
TheJimbo1234 said:
fallen said:

How the hell did you forget to mention the different clock speeds of the memory?! Biased much.

Good point as that is an area where X1 is superior as well

Ummm...What? How is the 2133 MHZ  core clock speed of the Xbox one superior to the 5500 MHZ core clock speed of the PS4?

haven't devs at beyond3d/neogaf/insiders strongly hinted that the ram split was actually 6/2 for ps4 and 5/3 for the one?

OdinHades said:
Oh, so now it's MB/S/GFLOP, I see! You know that South Park episode where they measure penis sizes and keep on changing the formula until everyone has a big one? Kinda reminds me of that.

Also, that bandwidth of Xbone is impressive, but what will happen in the crazy case that a developer needs more than 32 MB RAM? I know, I know, it's hard to imagine to use such a massive amount of data, but just what will happen theoretically?

It's pretty simple in the end. There are some minor differences, but after all, they are both using the same architecture. PS4 is just faster, end of story. The cloud won't do jack shit, I can tell you that. That said, the graphics of the Xbox One will be good enough. But please stop making these silly threads where you try to make the systems look even in hardware. It's getting ridiculous. No, to be perfectly honest, it already became ridiculous a long time ago. If you care THAT much about specs, just get a PS4.

So you're telling me the the South Park penis formula isn't accurate?  I've been living a lie this whole time!

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto