By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CoD Ghosts: Dedicated Servers For All Plataforms (Possible: Server Browser, Rent-able Ranked Server and Mod Tools on PC)

Tagged games:

Sweet, current gen too. One more reason for me to wait on dat Titanfall.

Around the Network

So, what exactly are these 'listen servers'? What do they do, and do they drastically change the message? Is it like Killzone's system, where it's not actually dedicated servers at all (for gameplay)? Or is this something else?

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. It's not at all dedicated servers, if I got this right from Wikipedia:

"Listen servers run in the same process as a game client. They otherwise function like dedicated servers, but typically have the disadvantage of having to communicate with remote players over the residential internet connection of the hosting player. Residential connections rarely support the upload requirements of games with many players; the typical limit is 16. Performance is also reduced by the simple fact that the machine running the server is also generating an output image. Furthermore, listen servers grant anyone playing on them directly a large latency advantage over other players ("host with most") and cease to exist when that player leaves the game.[1][3]

But listen servers have the advantage of being essentially free and not requiring any special infrastructure or forward planning to set up, which makes them common at LAN parties where latency and bandwidth issues are not a concern. They are also common in console games."

So yeah, it's the same as Killzone, it seems. Definitely not dedicated, though.

Zkuq said:
So, what exactly are these 'listen servers'? What do they do, and do they drastically change the message? Is it like Killzone's system, where it's not actually dedicated servers at all (for gameplay)? Or is this something else?

Killzone uses dedicated servers... you can discuss what is processed in local or server but it is dedicated servers...

I can say to you that just balancing the players network activity over a server already eliminates the biggest issue in CoD games: host player advantage... now every player needs to send and receive data from the server... so all players will have the same advantages/disadvantages... a more fair game.

J_Allard said:
Sweet, current gen too. One more reason for me to wait on dat Titanfall.

That's my thoughts too...

ethomaz said:
Zkuq said:

Killzone uses dedicated servers... you can discuss what is processed in local or server but it is dedicated servers...

I can say to you that just balancing the players network activity over a server already eliminates the biggest issue in CoD games: host player advantage... now every player needs to send and receive data from the server... so all players will have the same advantages/disadvantages... a more fair game.

Riiight. By that logic, have fun showing me a game that doesn't have at least one dedicated server (for matchmaking, server browsing, etc.). There's a dedicated server, it's just not processing anything gameplay-related - in which case it will not benefit gameplay at all, in which case it's absolutely useless to say a game has dedicated servers because in practice, what everyone means when they talk about the advantages of having dedicated servers is the advantage they bring to gameplay.

Around the Network

Zkuq said:

Riiight. By that logic, have fun showing me a game that doesn't have at least one dedicated server (for matchmaking, server browsing, etc.). There's a dedicated server, it's just not processing anything gameplay-related - in which case it will not benefit gameplay at all, in which case it's absolutely useless to say a game has dedicated servers because in practice, what everyone means when they talk about the advantages of having dedicated servers is the advantage they bring to gameplay.

On consoles?

All CoD games except some modes after a update in Black Ops 2 uses only P2P without any dedicated server... they have a server just to make the player list (and I'm not sure if the player list is made by PSN/Live servers).

Great, maybe I'll give it a try when I get my PS4.

OP UPDATED.

They are working erver browser and mod-tools in PC.

SO even Wii U will get a dedicated server? Maybe this round other Wii U owners can push it to two servers