By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Gravity Proves Why Movie Critics Are Trash.

Don't get me wrong, Gravity is a good flick. But movie of the year? No. 96/100? No. Not even close.

Maybe 75/100. That would be far more accurate.

Anyone who has watched it will honestly agree with me. While the goal of the film, which is to convey solitude, fear, claustrophobia, anxiety, etc., was achieved very well, it doesn't do much else aside from that. The performances aren't believable; Clooney is far too confident and happy to be drifting away into space forever. Bullock looks like she's having a Sunday drive even though debris traveling at 20,000 mph is right in her face. There is no real fear to be had when the movie will eventually end in the cliche that it does; and if that fear is the only selling point of the movie, then it fails to deliver heavily on that point.

Now why would the critics praise a movie like this so much? Probably because of its "artsy feel". I hate it when movies are rated unnecessarily high just because of a value that the majority of moviegoers don't care about. Bottom line is, if Gravity and Apollo 13 were on two different movie channels at the same time, I would watch Apollo 13 even if I've already watched it; Gravity doesn't entertain. It only wants to show you a painting. A very small painting.

Around the Network

Everybody has their preferences. While you may not agree (or me for that matter as I have yet to see it), I have seen multiple people indicate they thought it was the best movie they have ever seen.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I disagree.

Movie completely ignored physics, I'm a rocket scientist, yet I loved almost every minute of it. Definitely the best movie of the year so far.

Never heard of it,

Looked up trailer Sandra Bullock gross.

Trailer looked lame and I cant stand Sandra.

Movie is awesome IMO. And its not just critics that are trash if your post is to be believed... James Cameron came out and stated this is the best scifi movie he's ever seen.

Around the Network

This movie would be difficult for me to watch, mainly because I cannot stand Sandra Bullock.

Trailer looked cool, but I doubt any film this year could top Pacific Rim for me.

Bottom line, reviews are just glorified opinions. People place far too much importance on them.

I thought it was the best movie this year. Not that I really liked any other movie. I wouldn't give it a 96/100 as it's not deep enough, but I'd give it a 9/10. It's plot is simple but to the point and enjoyable without fluff. And there's not really another movie quite like it.

But, I don't trust movie critics... or normal people for that matter. But the fact is... Movie Critics and People Like it not just critics it grossed 55 million, Metacritic has a 9 user score and a 96/100 critic score, as well as 90% movie goers liking it on rotten tomatoes.

Doesn't mean you have to like it though. I thought the avengers and Dark Night Rises (Dark Night was awesome) were terrible and everyone disagreed.

My mates all told me off for dragging them to such a bad movie. Gotta admit as a film it blows, the screenplay is bad enough to just grab you from the hair and rip you out of any possible immersion the amazing effects try to place you under. The cinematography was lovely, but everything else was just plain subpar. I'm actually a little disgusted critics are excusing all its flaws simply because it looks good in motion. Even Avatar got a greater bum rap for its shortcomings as a film.

I've learnt not to trust movie critics a long time ago.