By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do the Steam Machines mean for this generation?

Tagged games:

How much do you see the Steam Machines selling?

200 Million 4 7.27%

100-150 Million 1 1.82%

80-100 Million 1 1.82%

Less than 60 Million! 8 14.55%

Less than the Gamecube! 11 20.00%

Less than the Dreamcast! 14 25.45%

They are not an 8th generation console! 16 29.09%

Total:55
Anfebious said:
Scisca said:
Anfebious said:

I think it couldn't be enough. The search for power is futile! In the end the important thing is exclusive games to the platform! You can play quite a lot of games on PC and it has many exclusive games that are excellent. But you can't play Nintendo games or Sony's first party offerings! And some of them really move consoles. Specially Nintendo games like Mario Kart, Super Smash, Mario and others. It could be an alternative to the PC but just that, an alternative. You need more than graphic power to incentivate people to invest on a system!

Obviously, but that's what you have now and that's the reason why SteamOS as it is will do as much as nVidia Shield did to steal gamers from Vita and 3DS. And that is why I think SteamOS on tablets is so important! Why? How many gamers haven't got tablets? How many gamer's will buy a tablet in the next 5-8 years?  Which tablet will a gamer choose - an iOS or Android, or a tablet that allows him to play all PC games available on Steam? This includes the current and next gen games!! Ok, so now a gamer has a SteamOS tablet. He keeps buying those cheap games. Buys 1, 2, 3... 20, 30... games. And suddenly realises that he has a huge library of Steam games he can play on a PC. So... Why not get a Steam PC? After all he sees all the time that multiplat games are much cheaper, look better and he'll be able to play them on the go on the tablet as well... Damn... Suddenly you only care about exclusives on consoles, cause now it's REALLY pointless to buy multiplats on them.

This tablet integration would be the "more than graphic power" that Steam needs and it would be a new way to draw people into PC gaming. That's why they should go for it.

Remember, Valve is not Apple or Google. They don't want to sell their OS to the average customer. They want to give it to the gamer who's going to be buying games on Steam.

Well yeah actually I have a lot of third party games and most people do but the exclusive games sometimes are more important. Nintendo games tend to be the reason why you buy a Nintendo console. And that is not going to change anytime soon! I think it could sell but I don't see it penetrating the market as you said. Nintendo's IP are a force to be reckoned with!

Valve isn't competing with Nintendo either way, considering there are no multiplats on Wii U :P I'm sure Valve is ok with you buying a console just for the exclusives, as long as you buy the multiplats on Steam. The thing I told you about would be enough reasons to convince more and more people into doing just that.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Around the Network

It means PC gaming is now a slightly more convenient option. I don't see it affecting the console market much at all, honestly.

4 ≈ One

Scisca said:
Anfebious said:
Scisca said:

Well yeah actually I have a lot of third party games and most people do but the exclusive games sometimes are more important. Nintendo games tend to be the reason why you buy a Nintendo console. And that is not going to change anytime soon! I think it could sell but I don't see it penetrating the market as you said. Nintendo's IP are a force to be reckoned with!

Valve isn't competing with Nintendo either way, considering there are no multiplats on Wii U :P I'm sure Valve is ok with you buying a console just for the exclusives, as long as you buy the multiplats on Steam. The thing I told you about would be enough reasons to convince more and more people into doing just that.

Well they do want to enter the console market with these "Pre-Built PC's" so they would be competing. I still don't see it being big if the price is too high. If it weas cheaper than the competition it would have a point but at least I don't see the reason to buy a Steam Machine. You could keep using a PC. Or play on the PS 4 and Xbox One. I think we overestimate the importance of the graphics. It doesn't matter that Call of Duty and Battlefield look worse on consoles, they still sell a lot!

But who knows, maybe Valve do makes the next big thing and disrput the market! We have to wait and see.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
KHlover said:
Anfebious said:

Well the OS seems like the best of the three announcments. The other day was an article about the Steam Machines saying that they could go from 500 US$ to1500 US$!! But what do you think about them? Do you see them as a next gen console?

No, I view them as pre-built PC's with a custom OS.

But if that is the perception we have of them. Why did they do this in the first place? Why make a pre-built PC? You can build one or ask someone to help you... I don't see the reason xD.

I actually think Valve intended them to be seen as a PC/console hybrid. You get all the power (and customization options) of a PC and the comfort of a console. That's the idea.

But with the astronomical pricepoint they really shoot themselves in the foot. Console gamers aren't used to pay $700 (I suspect any Steam Machine with a lower price point will really only be good enough for streaming and older games) - $1500 for their "consoles". PC gamers are, but they can simply build their PC themselves and save $$$. As a result the Steam Machines aren't really interesting for anyone besides enthusiasts and maybe some PC gamers which would have bought some other pre-built PC before the announcement.

At least that's how I see the situation.

KHlover said:
Anfebious said:

But if that is the perception we have of them. Why did they do this in the first place? Why make a pre-built PC? You can build one or ask someone to help you... I don't see the reason xD.

I actually think Valve intended them to be seen as a PC/console hybrid. You get all the power (and customization options) of a PC and the comfort of a console. That's the idea.

But with the astronomical pricepoint they really shoot themselves in the foot. Console gamers aren't used to pay $700 (I suspect any Steam Machine with a lower price point will really only be good enough for streaming and older games) - $1500 for their "consoles". PC gamers are, but they can simply build their PC themselves and save $$$. As a result the Steam Machines aren't really interesting for anyone besides enthusiasts and maybe some PC games which would have bought some other pre-built PC before the announcement.

At least that's how I see the situation.

The only thing I see making an impact is the control maybe. I think Valve is experimenting with these 3 things. I think at leas one will be very succesful! The controller could prove awesome, we have to wait to have it in our hands to judge xD.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

I honestly doubt the steam boxes will sell close to the competition. The price range and all other things considered, it doesn't seem like it will sell.

Anfebious said:

Well they do want to enter the console market with these "Pre-Built PC's" so they would be competing. I still don't see it being big if the price is too high. If it weas cheaper than the competition it would have a point but at least I don't see the reason to buy a Steam Machine. You could keep using a PC. Or play on the PS 4 and Xbox One. I think we overestimate the importance of the graphics. It doesn't matter that Call of Duty and Battlefield look worse on consoles, they still sell a lot!

But who knows, maybe Valve do makes the next big thing and disrput the market! We have to wait and see.

Well we pretty much agree. SteamOS as it is won't do a thing, just like nVidia Shield which is a total failure. It needs to do something more. It needs to give us a reason to buy it instead of a console. This tablet integration would be enough of a reason for me, as it would give us something that every gamer values and that consoles just can't offer. I would most probably just get a PC, tablet and buy the consoles on the cheap at the end of the generation to play those few big exclusives if this happened.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.