By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do the Steam Machines mean for this generation?

Tagged games:

How much do you see the Steam Machines selling?

200 Million 4 7.27%

100-150 Million 1 1.82%

80-100 Million 1 1.82%

Less than 60 Million! 8 14.55%

Less than the Gamecube! 11 20.00%

Less than the Dreamcast! 14 25.45%

They are not an 8th generation console! 16 29.09%

Total:55
Scisca said:
Anfebious said:
Scisca said:

SteamOS will be doing quite badly until it starts to give us something mindblowing. Tablet+PC integration would be mindblowing. It could potentially end all console wars.

That is quite a prediction. But I don't see it being big with tablets, I could be wrong but it looks kinda uncomfortable to bring around...

What would be uncomfortable? Carrying a controller next to your tablet? That's what people have been saying about tablets themselves. You can always find a place in your backpack or purse. People who aren't interested in gaming would stick to their iPads, but I could easily see people interested in gaming going for a SteamOS tablet if it allowed them to play their whole Steam library on the go (apart from being a full-blown tablet obviously). I know that would be a serious argument for me considering I really miss RTS games on my consoles (my PC is too weak to handle games, it's only for work and browsing) and thinking just how cheap games are on Steam. If only it also supported Starcraft: BW and Starcraft 2... I don't think I could resist such a combo.

I really think this would be awesome and remember, this would just be the added value. The stuff you get on top of having games with the best graphics like you get nowadays. If SteamOS doesn't give us a mindblowing advantage over current PCs (so far I can't see anything of that quality), it will share the same success as nVidia Shield.

Well if you could play your steam games on it, you might have something but I don't see it appealing a massive audience!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network
sth88 said:

The PC market is a bit different; the cost and the set-up won't be a problem, but will PC gamers feel the need to buy new hardware and switch operating systems? How good is Steam OS in running all the other programs that PC gamers use their computers for?

Well I don't think PC gamers will feel the need of getting it because I think the console is aimed at console gamers and a broader audience!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:

Well if you could play your steam games on it, you might have something but I don't see it appealing a massive audience!

As I've said, the casuals and Applebots would stick to their iOS stuff and this wouldn't matter. SteamOS is going after gamers, not the mass market. If I was to choose an iPad or a tablet with Steam games I wouldn't hesitate a second (granted it had a good browser and office tools). It would also be a huge incentive for console gamers to finally drop consoles and get a PC, since such a combo would finally give us something we could call truely next gen. I think it would be quite easy to get Samsung on board with this, as it would help kill one of the best departments of Sony and help kill whatever MS is trying to do with Nokia and would hurt Apple.

It would also allow Valve to draw people into their web from two different fronts - the PC/home console and the tablet crowds. No matter which way you came from, the stuff you bought is already yours on the other platform, so why not go for it? Don't know about you, but I think this is a no-brainer and the only move that can allow SteamOS appear on the radar. Still, we need tablets to make the technological jump at least to PS3 level.

The more I think about it, the more this whole SteamOS appeals to me. It can really be huge.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

SteamOS might make some impact as a free, hopefully easy to set-up and maintain GamingOS. Steam machines, though? Nope, they WILL end up being too expensive for what they can deliver (as all pre-built PC's are) and thus not be able to launch at a competitive pricepoint.

That's all just my prediction, though. Only time will tell...

KHlover said:
SteamOS might make some impact as a free, hopefully easy to set-up and maintain GamingOS. Steam machines, though? Nope, they WILL end up being too expensive for what they can deliver (as all pre-built PC's are) and thus not be able to launch at a competitive pricepoint.

Well the OS seems like the best of the three announcments. The other day was an article about the Steam Machines saying that they could go from 500 US$ to1500 US$!! But what do you think about them? Do you see them as a next gen console?

Around the Network
Scisca said:
Anfebious said:

As I've said, the casuals and Applebots would stick to their iOS stuff and this wouldn't matter. SteamOS is going after gamers, not the mass market. If I was to choose an iPad or a tablet with Steam games I wouldn't hesitate a second (granted it had a good browser and office tools). It would also be a huge incentive for console gamers to finally drop consoles and get a PC, since such a combo would finally give us something we could call truely next gen. I think it would be quite easy to get Samsung on board with this, as it would help kill one of the best departments of Sony and help kill whatever MS is trying to do with Nokia and would hurt Apple.

It would also allow Valve to draw people into their web from two different fronts - the PC/home console and the tablet crowds. No matter which way you came from, the stuff you bought is already yours on the other platform, so why not go for it? Don't know about you, but I think this is a no-brainer and the only move that can allow SteamOS appear on the radar. Still, we need tablets to make the technological jump at least to PS3 level.

The more I think about it, the more this whole SteamOS appeals to me. It can really be huge.

I think it couldn't be enough. The search for power is futile! In the end the important thing is exclusive games to the platform! You can play quite a lot of games on PC and it has many exclusive games that are excellent. But you can't play Nintendo games or Sony's first party offerings! And some of them really move consoles. Specially Nintendo games like Mario Kart, Super Smash, Mario and others. It could be an alternative to the PC but just that, an alternative. You need more than graphic power to incentivate people to invest on a system!

Anfebious said:
Scisca said:
Anfebious said:

I think it couldn't be enough. The search for power is futile! In the end the important thing is exclusive games to the platform! You can play quite a lot of games on PC and it has many exclusive games that are excellent. But you can't play Nintendo games or Sony's first party offerings! And some of them really move consoles. Specially Nintendo games like Mario Kart, Super Smash, Mario and others. It could be an alternative to the PC but just that, an alternative. You need more than graphic power to incentivate people to invest on a system!

Obviously, but that's what you have now and that's the reason why SteamOS as it is will do as much as nVidia Shield did to steal gamers from Vita and 3DS. And that is why I think SteamOS on tablets is so important! Why? How many gamers haven't got tablets? How many gamer's will buy a tablet in the next 5-8 years?  Which tablet will a gamer choose - an iOS or Android, or a tablet that allows him to play all PC games available on Steam? This includes the current and next gen games!! Ok, so now a gamer has a SteamOS tablet. He keeps buying those cheap games. Buys 1, 2, 3... 20, 30... games. And suddenly realises that he has a huge library of Steam games he can play on a PC. So... Why not get a Steam PC? After all he sees all the time that multiplat games are much cheaper, look better and he'll be able to play them on the go on the tablet as well... Damn... Suddenly you only care about exclusives on consoles, cause now it's REALLY pointless to buy multiplats on them.

This tablet integration would be the "more than graphic power" that Steam needs and it would be a new way to draw people into PC gaming. That's why they should go for it.

Remember, Valve is not Apple or Google. They don't want to sell their OS to the average customer. They want to give it to the gamer who's going to be buying games on Steam.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Anfebious said:
KHlover said:

Well the OS seems like the best of the three announcments. The other day was an article about the Steam Machines saying that they could go from 500 US$ to1500 US$!! But what do you think about them? Do you see them as a next gen console?

No, I view them as pre-built PC's with a custom OS.

Scisca said:
Anfebious said:

Obviously, but that's what you have now and that's the reason why SteamOS as it is will do as much as nVidia Shield did to steal gamers from Vita and 3DS. And that is why I think SteamOS on tablets is so important! Why? How many gamers haven't got tablets? How many gamer's will buy a tablet in the next 5-8 years?  Which tablet will a gamer choose - an iOS or Android, or a tablet that allows him to play all PC games available on Steam? This includes the current and next gen games!! Ok, so now a gamer has a SteamOS tablet. He keeps buying those cheap games. Buys 1, 2, 3... 20, 30... games. And suddenly realises that he has a huge library of Steam games he can play on a PC. So... Why not get a Steam PC? After all he sees all the time that multiplat games are much cheaper, look better and he'll be able to play them on the go on the tablet as well... Damn... Suddenly you only care about exclusives on consoles, cause now it's REALLY pointless to buy multiplats on them.

This tablet integration would be the "more than graphic power" that Steam needs and it would be a new way to draw people into PC gaming. That's why they should go for it.

Remember, Valve is not Apple or Google. They don't want to sell their OS to the average customer. They want to give it to the gamer who's going to be buying games on Steam.

Well yeah actually I have a lot of third party games and most people do but the exclusive games sometimes are more important. Nintendo games tend to be the reason why you buy a Nintendo console. And that is not going to change anytime soon! I think it could sell but I don't see it penetrating the market as you said. Nintendo's IP are a force to be reckoned with!

KHlover said:
Anfebious said:

No, I view them as pre-built PC's with a custom OS.

But if that is the perception we have of them. Why did they do this in the first place? Why make a pre-built PC? You can build one or ask someone to help you... I don't see the reason xD.