By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you wear a watch? What device do you use to tell the time?

I just use some cheap digital watch from wal-mart. It gets the job done, and the battery has lasted a really long time compared to other watches I've had.

Around the Network

No, I used to use a watch but I lost my old one so now I just use my cell phone for the time.

PC Gamer

@fkusumot

For once I completely understand where your coming from. There is a great deal of sentimental value in a watch. A certain degree of dignity and pride in having such a nice and functional thing. Unfortunately I have long since stopped wearing watches for that reason. The mental anguish that comes from breaking a nice watch. I always had a penchant for shattering the crystal, or dropping it and causing damage.

It has been a couple years since I wore a watch, and now usually use my cell phone. I am just not in the mood to wear another one just to break it and feel guilty. I dare not wear my jewelry for the same reason. I can't bear the thought of losing it, or damaging it.

That might be part of the equation. Unless your in a position to be extremely careful with them they can be a liability. That and being in a throw away society once broke its not worth fixing.

I had semi-nice one, but it broke, so I got another one that was really nice, but that broke too. Now I just use my phone. However, when I'm running, I use a cheap $5-$10 watch (with a stopwatch feature) to keep my time when I'm running.

Dodece said:
@fkusumot

For once I completely understand where your coming from. There is a great deal of sentimental value in a watch. A certain degree of dignity and pride in having such a nice and functional thing. Unfortunately I have long since stopped wearing watches for that reason. The mental anguish that comes from breaking a nice watch. I always had a penchant for shattering the crystal, or dropping it and causing damage.

It has been a couple years since I wore a watch, and now usually use my cell phone. I am just not in the mood to wear another one just to break it and feel guilty. I dare not wear my jewelry for the same reason. I can't bear the thought of losing it, or damaging it.

That might be part of the equation. Unless your in a position to be extremely careful with them they can be a liability. That and being in a throw away society once broke its not worth fixing.

Well, we reached an understanding!

I guess it is easy to break watches just like most other things you wear. Personally I don't use a cell phone so that's not something I have to keep time with. As far as the watch business goes there's still tons of mechanical watches being sold (go Switzerland!) and very few watchmakers left (and not many getting trained) so there's no shortage of work. I have found it interesting to hear what people use to keep time.

Around the Network

I don't wear a watch anymore. I tell time with my cell phone though.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

I get a Casio G-Shock G2300 series watch. I am not sure what its exact spec is.

This one:

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

I'm thinking of getting a binary watch. And those LED/inverse LCD are also nice. I've never worn an analog watch and probably never will.

I do wear a watch. it is part of my job outfit. Shirt, Tie, Suit, Shoes and Watch. Thats why I have bought a watch that fits my suits. I got a silver band as I dont want to go into that all black (shoes, belt, watch) and all brown (shoes, belt, watch) stuff as you then have to have two watches.

My watch is a Certina DS Tradition made in Switzerland:

And fkusumot, I really like your watches as they do one thing that a lot of new watches dont: They are simple and nice to look at.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

fkusumot said:

When I was collecting watches I had over 100. Now that I make my own watch I have cut back to 12. I collect pocket watches now. They are fun and I'm always buying parts for them (because much of my business is repairing old pocket watches) so I get old neglected watches up and running and keep them for a while before I sell them.

I received an old silver (very thin) pocket watch from my great-grandfather when I was 10 and my parents decided to fix it. I am so scared to brake it that it is sitting alone in a cabinet, it's something that I have only worn 5 times since then.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"