By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii production to end in Japan

I doubt someone with a next gen console wants to borrow that (I wouldn't do that!) I have two or more friends with Wii and I think they are not using it that much, I'll see.
On a side note: the wii production end and the fact that wii u is 100% backwards compatible means I might be in the target audience of Wii-U, lol, didn't thought about that af first. (I'm such a fanboy sometimes! LOL) XD

Does Wii games work on Wii-U controller  screen? That would be good for non hd games to be played on a "portable" at bed.

Persona 5 on PS3, I won't need next gen!

Around the Network
Seece said:
Metallicube said:
Seece said:
Metallicube said:
Carl2291 said:
It had a good run while it lasted.

The Wii bubble finally burst.

No.. It's called a natural console cycle. Over 6 years... The only reason PS3 and 360 are still going (and the latter is even starting to die), is because the third parties refuse to let them die as they keep supporting them, and MS and Sony have yet to release new consoles. 

Natural? Or maybe it isn't natural? The previous market leaders (PS1, PS2) and PS360 this gen have seen long healthy lives, perhaps that's the natural life cycle now.

Consoles aren't suppose to go without third party support, with that Wii would have lasted longer I'm sure.

Who says? Third party support is VASTLY overrated IMO, especially when you have such a strong first party base like Nintendo. They are not the end all be all. In fact, if anything, too much third party control is very harmful to the industry.. The prior DRM policies of the Xbone (before MS came to their senses and corrected it), are a major example of that.

Wii has sold 100 million and still has a shot of outselling the PS1, made Nintendo a ton of money, and is complete with a plethora of fun and exciting games that appeal to many.. So at the end of the day, does length of console life really matter? Sure the PS2 was in a whole nother league altogether, but there are a number of factors in play, besides its huge library; including a near monopoly on third party support, a boon in the economy, people rebuying PS2s because of new models/breakdowns, and a patheticly weak showing from its competition.

I just love how creative you "hardcore" get in discrediting the Wii in any way possible. Makes me laugh..

Who says? Common sense, you need both first party and third party, not sure how anyone can say not having third party games on a system is a good thing ....

Nintendo doesn't have that strong of a first party, before Wii it never managed to propel a console to anywhere near PS1 and PS2 numbers, those were only possible with third party on board.

Wii is of course an anomoly, it did have third party backing in the form of Just Dance, Skylanders ect which were very important. The Wii system itself is what sold it tho. Unlikely we'll see anything like that again.

Wii won't outsell PS1, slowing down too much.

What are you actually trying to say anyway? I don't see how any of that supports that 3 years is a natural life cycle, whether you like it or not, third parties are important to this industry and with strong first and third party support a system obviously goes beyond 3 years of growth. And like I said, it isn't normal for a system not to get third party support.

So basically you're saying that people bought the Wii to... What, stare at its shiny glossy texture?

Got it...

Where are you getting that Wii sold for 3 years? It recieved a healthy diet of games for over 5 years, and sold at least respectable numbers for around 5 as well.. It's just that, for 3 of those years, it sold PHENOMENALLY rather than just good.

pezus said:
Metallicube said:
Seece said:
Metallicube said:
Carl2291 said:
It had a good run while it lasted.

The Wii bubble finally burst.

No.. It's called a natural console cycle. Over 6 years... The only reason PS3 and 360 are still going (and the latter is even starting to die), is because the third parties refuse to let them die as they keep supporting them, and MS and Sony have yet to release new consoles. 

Natural? Or maybe it isn't natural? The previous market leaders (PS1, PS2) and PS360 this gen have seen long healthy lives, perhaps that's the natural life cycle now.

Consoles aren't suppose to go without third party support, with that Wii would have lasted longer I'm sure.

Who says? Third party support is VASTLY overrated IMO, especially when you have such a strong first party base like Nintendo. They are not the end all be all. In fact, if anything, too much third party control is very harmful to the industry.. The prior DRM policies of the Xbone (before MS came to their senses and corrected it), are a major example of that.

Wii has sold 100 million and still has a shot of outselling the PS1, made Nintendo a ton of money, and is complete with a plethora of fun and exciting games that appeal to many.. So at the end of the day, does length of console life really matter? Sure the PS2 was in a whole nother league altogether, but there are a number of factors in play, besides its huge library; including a near monopoly on third party support, a boon in the economy, people rebuying PS2s because of new models/breakdowns, and a patheticly weak showing from its competition.

I just love how creative you "hardcore" get in discrediting the Wii in any way possible. Makes me laugh..

So the only reason PS360 are still going is because of 3rd parties, yet you say their support is VASTLY overrated. You also mention third parties again as a reason for PS2's dominance. Don't you think you're being slightly hypocritical?

It's far more needed for Sony and MS, because their 1st party is much much weaker.

retroking1981 said:

Bit off topic but think about Sega porting some of its bigger Mega Drive games (Streets of Rage, Sonic, Altered Beast) to the Master System, lol.

No idea to be honest, maybe your right. I guess the reason Sony is so successful with their older consoles once the next gen is out is because of pushing them in developing markets? Didn't PS2 go on the sell an additional 30-40m after the PS3 launch?

The PS2 sold 48.5M units from the PS3 release quarter to the end FY2011.  After that it's hard to calculate since Sony started adding PS2 & PS3 numbers together.  I would say the PS2 easily sold over 50M units after the release of the PS3.  I don't think Sony published where those sales were from, but it's likely a lot of those sales were in developing markets.

PS: The Master System Sonic didn't seem half bad and still had a sense of speed, though Altered Beast looked kind of slow.  Streets of Rage music was still good too.

pezus said:
foxtail said:
Seece said:
foxtail said:

Well the Playstation also hit the $49 MSRP price range, the Wii could easily sell at that price too but Nintendo probably doesn't think it's worth the sacrifice.

$99/$49, makes no difference, console is way cheap enough that if someone wants one they'll get one.

That's a 50% difference, at $49 it's cheaper than most modern games and would be an instant impulse buy to a lot of people.

Still, it was something like 13 years ago. You have to factor inflation into it.

The price drop was in 2002, the inflation adjusted price would be around $63.50.  So if converted directly, for $3.50 more than MSRP of most new PS3/360 games you could buy a PS1 console.  Though that would be an odd number to sell at and inflation doesn't reflect retail one to one. 

The $49 Playstation price was also a good psychological price point.  It was $0.99 cheaper than the MSRP of new PS2 games ($49.99) and around 4 times cheaper than the PS2 console ($199).  For retailers I would say the modern day equivalent of the $49 PS1 price would be $59.  While this $59 price is low, it still doesn't have the same preceived value as $49.

I also think that the PS1 was the first major console to cut it's MSRP by one sixth of it's launch price, that would equate to a $99 60GB PS3 or a $41.65 Wii.

Around the Network
Rankstrail said:

I doubt someone with a next gen console wants to borrow that (I wouldn't do that!) I have two or more friends with Wii and I think they are not using it that much, I'll see.
On a side note: the wii production end and the fact that wii u is 100% backwards compatible means I might be in the target audience of Wii-U, lol, didn't thought about that af first. (I'm such a fanboy sometimes! LOL) XD

Does Wii games work on Wii-U controller  screen? That would be good for non hd games to be played on a "portable" at bed.

Yes... but since you need the original Wii controllers, it's anything but portable.

Xen said:
Rankstrail said:

Yes... but since you need the original Wii controllers, it's anything but portable.

Sorry didn't understand clearly this is precisely what I would like: Insert Xenoblade Chronicles in Wii-U, go to another room to play it on the pad.

Is that possible?

Persona 5 on PS3, I won't need next gen!

Rankstrail said:
Xen said:
Rankstrail said:

Sorry didn't understand clearly this is precisely what I would like: Insert Xenoblade Chronicles in Wii-U, go to another room to play it on the pad.

Is that possible?

I have no idea of the range of the pad, but to play wii games even on it, you need a wiimote/nunchuck (or whatever scheme is used in Xenoblade, I used a classic controller pro).

Finally. Although discontinuing the Wii and not the DS is another "derp" moment for Nintendo.

Whatever.

This says something to me. If a 1000 units is the breaking point where Nintendo doesn't want to sell a console anymore, that means that a little bit more than a 1000 units made enough profit to offset the cost of manufacturing, marketing, and distributing. Now, seeing as the Wii sold around 20,000 ww this week (20x more than 1000, keep in mind) and generally still sells around that amount at a minimum ww, it can be safe to assume that Nintendo is probably making a good amount of money from the Wii and the cost of production and distribution is so low that it takes selling 1000 or less to actually make them get close to losing money.

In the short term, it's helping Nintendo out that the Wii is still selling decently considering it's successor has been out for basically a year already (offsetting, in part, the loss that each Wii U sells for).