By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales: Tsutaya Game Ranking (Sep 23-29)

What is game #19?

Around the Network

Wind Waker bombed apparently. Well, that's what you get for ignoring the fan base and remaking the most controversial Zelda of all times. There's a clear pattern where "realistic", combat focused Zelda games sell more than cell shaded Zelda's. I wonder if Nintendo will get the hint this time.

I think Vita is doing good software wise, it's place in the market is better than it's hardware sales make it out to be.

VGPolyglot said:
What is game #19?

My sister can't possibly be so cute - Happy End. It's a mix between dating sim, Idol game and snapshot game featuring the characters of the anime. 

Soundwave said:
7 doesn't seem like a good opening for Wind Waker.

#1 Don't expect much with an install base barely over 1 million

#2 It's a remake

#3 Original WW sold worst in Japan, well Zeldas in general

#4 Digital Sales

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network
UncleScrooge said:
Wind Waker bombed apparently. Well, that's what you get for ignoring the fan base and remaking the most controversial Zelda of all times. There's a clear pattern where "realistic", combat focused Zelda games sell more than cell shaded Zelda's. I wonder if Nintendo will get the hint this time.

They won't. Unfortunately, I think Zelda has been run into the ground and is only a shell of what it once was.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

When is GTA V releasing in Japan? I thought it would have released last week

UncleScrooge said:

You realize these are Japanese sales rankings, right?

Wind Waker outsold Twilight Princess on one-third the install base.

UncleScrooge said:

lol, how did a remake bomb wen we didn't see numbers? LoZ games arent as big in japan as the west. The FW sales of Zelda games there are between 60k-110k. This game is a wiiu and a remake. How much is this suppose to sell?

tbone51 said:

lol, how did a remake bomb wen we didn't see numbers? LoZ games arent as big in japan as the west. The FW sales of Zelda games there are between 60k-110k. This game is a wiiu and a remake. How much is this suppose to sell?

Twilight Princess Wii - 146k

Ocarina of Time 3D - 166k

Skyward Sword - 198k

Phantom Hourglass - 304k

Spirit Tracks - 306k

Wind Waker - 362k

I think you're in the wrong ballpark, Tbone.  Where on earth did you get that figure from?

As for Zelda being smaller in Japan than in the USA, that's true, but it has very little bearing on this chart.  You can check out this post I did for Osed about the matter.  Yes, Zelda is smaller in Japan than USA, but it's traditionally bigger than the Legend of Heroes series and at least on par with Warriors Orochi, which is why people are bringing it up.

Media Create will have better answers than Tsutaya, but the signs aren't looking good.  I wouldn't call WWHD a bomb, but it definitely seems to have underperformed.  Especially if you put it in the context of "maintaining momentum for Wii-U" that was supposed to start with Pikmin :P

But we'll see!