By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales: Tsutaya Game Ranking (Sep 23-29)

LoH did quite well, looks like. I think we can see why the Vita will keep getting software. Happy End should have been on a handheld, it was foolish not to put it on the Vita, too.

As for Zelda, I think people are being somewhat unrealistic. It's a remake. It was never going to "save" the Wii U in the first place--no remake, outside FF7, has that kind of power.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:

tbone51 said:

lol, how did a remake bomb wen we didn't see numbers? LoZ games arent as big in japan as the west. The FW sales of Zelda games there are between 60k-110k. This game is a wiiu and a remake. How much is this suppose to sell?

Twilight Princess Wii - 146k

Ocarina of Time 3D - 166k

Skyward Sword - 198k

Phantom Hourglass - 304k

Spirit Tracks - 306k

Wind Waker - 362k

I think you're in the wrong ballpark, Tbone.  Where on earth did you get that figure from?

As for Zelda being smaller in Japan than in the USA, that's true, but it has very little bearing on this chart.  You can check out this post I did for Osed about the matter.  Yes, Zelda is smaller in Japan than USA, but it's traditionally bigger than the Legend of Heroes series and at least on par with Warriors Orochi, which is why people are bringing it up.

Media Create will have better answers than Tsutaya, but the signs aren't looking good.  I wouldn't call WWHD a bomb, but it definitely seems to have underperformed.  Especially if you put it in the context of "maintaining momentum for Wii-U" that was supposed to start with Pikmin :P

But we'll see!

WTF??? I saw numbers the other day and i swore somebody posted lowers numbers. Well im wrong there but still shouldn't expect much on WW HD in japan. I was expecting 50k months ago but now it looks like it'll be 20k-30k FW. Still a remake on a system with a million user base. US is where it counts the most

Sangokushi 12 with Power-Up Kit

Nice to see this game again, but the sales are probably atrocious.

Nice to see Legend of heroes up there with 4 SKUs.

the_dengle said:
UncleScrooge said:
Wind Waker bombed apparently. Well, that's what you get for ignoring the fan base and remaking the most controversial Zelda of all times. There's a clear pattern where "realistic", combat focused Zelda games sell more than cell shaded Zelda's. I wonder if Nintendo will get the hint this time.

You realize these are Japanese sales rankings, right?

Wind Waker outsold Twilight Princess on one-third the install base.

God, I made a critical post about Zelda sales and you guys are all over it I think Nintendo's point in remaking Wind Waker was that cell shaded Zelda's sell well in Japan. So they ignored the rest of the world. That didn't pay off. Guess I was too vague in my post. And thanks for the chart!

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
UncleScrooge said:
Wind Waker bombed apparently. Well, that's what you get for ignoring the fan base and remaking the most controversial Zelda of all times. There's a clear pattern where "realistic", combat focused Zelda games sell more than cell shaded Zelda's. I wonder if Nintendo will get the hint this time.

lol, how did a remake bomb wen we didn't see numbers? LoZ games arent as big in japan as the west. The FW sales of Zelda games there are between 60k-110k. This game is a wiiu and a remake. How much is this suppose to sell?

More than 100k maybe? The 3DS remake sold 160k first week on a small install base. That's exactly my point: Back when Ocarina of Time launched (1.5m LTD sales in Japan) the Zelda series was supposed to be *the* saviour of the N64. The series was so highly praised people and Nintendo thought it would get the N64 back on track.

Today, Zelda is a series that "doesn't sell well in Japan anyway" and "yeah, who expected this to push systems?" Zelda went from universal claim to being a good series that "sells well" in the west. And Nintendo's continued push to release cell shaded, puzzle based Zelda titles is one of the reasons for that. I'm a huge Zelda fan and I want Zelda to get back to the reputation of its glory days. That's all.