By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Fitness : Kinect´s Killer App? free to Gold Members 1st year!

Hype level is :

high 23 31.51%

rising 10 13.70%

meh 17 23.29%

fitness ? lol 22 30.14%

Total:72
small44 said:

Isn`t the success of wii fit is because is was bundled with every wii?

It wasn't though.  Eventually after Wii Fit became successful, Nintendo bundled it.  If memory serves me correctly around the time Wii Fit Plus was announced.  But for the longest time Wii Fit was sold separately for $100 with the balance board. 

And Xbox One, Kinect, and Xbox Fitness are technically all bundled together.

Around the Network

So, does this mean it is ok now to call something "free" even though it is part of a subscription service?

I would actually really welcome that.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Adinnieken said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

That's the reason Wii fit sellls - it's a combination of light entertainment, exercise and price.

It's rather difficult to sell an expensive entertainment device as an intensive cardio program.

I disagree.  The reason Wii Fit sold so much so quickly is on the promise and belief that it could be a good exercise program.  I have a friend, very fit girl, who used it religiously but could never get anything out of it.  Eventually ended up going to a gym to workout.

It's a decent physical theraphy tool, do doubt about it.  When my father was receiving physical theraphy they used one with him, and even recommended buying one for him (he didn't want to spend the money on one).  That aside, Wii Fit doesn't really offer any benefit excercise wise.

The sad fact is you can sit all day in place, and you will still burn more calories than you will using Wii Fit for 30 minutes.  It just doesn't push you enough.  You have to get the heart rate elevated for a period of time to really benefit from any excercise program and the Wii Fit just doesn't do it.

It does get people moving, and it does get people thinking about excercise, but to say the Xbox One is significantly more expensive than the Wii with Wii Fit is just plain wrong.  If you, at the time it was first available, bought a Wii and Wii Fit, you'd have been paying $350 combined for an exercise routine that accumulatively did nothing for you of any significant benefit.

For $560, on Day One, you don't get one cardio workout, you have four.  Four routines that you can use throughtout the year to try and workout to to find which level of intensity meets your needs.  If you buy the P90X program and realize it just is too intense for you, you've wasted $300. 40% of monthly gym membership fees goes to waste annually.    So of the $660 people on average pay for a membership, $264 of it is wasted.  Every year!

My guess is Microsoft will offer both a yearly and per month sub for Xbox Fitness.  If so, my guess is both will be reasonable since there is little cost overhead. 

It's named Wii fit and not Wii bulk up.

Having a routine of real cardio work sounds like work for most people. Wii fit is designed to appeal to those people who would enjoy joga and such. You're smilling, feeling good and are getting some excersise. It's something relaxing to do after a stressfull day... and you even burn some calories.

I seriously doubt people would lay down $560 down for a 'cardio' Wii fit version.

I think that most people don't associate that with the living room or an entertainment device in it. Isn't that something they associate with outside? Going running. Riding a bike. Walking the dog for a couple hours - i do that myself in the weekend :)

I might see Nintendo push some cardio related DLC, maybe for like 20 bucks, later on. If so, i doubt it will sell that much. For the reason above.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Adinnieken said:
small44 said:

Isn`t the success of wii fit is because is was bundled with every wii?

It wasn't though.  Eventually after Wii Fit became successful, Nintendo bundled it.  If memory serves me correctly around the time Wii Fit Plus was announced.  But for the longest time Wii Fit was sold separately for $100 with the balance board. 

And Xbox One, Kinect, and Xbox Fitness are technically all bundled together.

I was wrong Wii sport was bundled with every wii not Wii Fit

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Good deal. I had Your Shape Fitness Evolved for the Kinect and it really got the job done. Something about having the game tell you "Squat Lower", "Stick your arms out straight", etc. It's an advantage that I just don't see the Wii having. Kinect could see if I was trying to cheat and it scolded me for it.  Great motivation.  If more people try the Kinect version, they won't go back to DVD's like INSANITY or even Wii Fit. The more users, the better.

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:

That's the reason Wii fit sellls - it's a combination of light entertainment, exercise and price.

It's rather difficult to sell an expensive entertainment device as an intensive cardio program.

I disagree.  The reason Wii Fit sold so much so quickly is on the promise and belief that it could be a good exercise program.  I have a friend, very fit girl, who used it religiously but could never get anything out of it.  Eventually ended up going to a gym to workout.

It's a decent physical theraphy tool, do doubt about it.  When my father was receiving physical theraphy they used one with him, and even recommended buying one for him (he didn't want to spend the money on one).  That aside, Wii Fit doesn't really offer any benefit excercise wise.

The sad fact is you can sit all day in place, and you will still burn more calories than you will using Wii Fit for 30 minutes.  It just doesn't push you enough.  You have to get the heart rate elevated for a period of time to really benefit from any excercise program and the Wii Fit just doesn't do it.

It does get people moving, and it does get people thinking about excercise, but to say the Xbox One is significantly more expensive than the Wii with Wii Fit is just plain wrong.  If you, at the time it was first available, bought a Wii and Wii Fit, you'd have been paying $350 combined for an exercise routine that accumulatively did nothing for you of any significant benefit.

For $560, on Day One, you don't get one cardio workout, you have four.  Four routines that you can use throughtout the year to try and workout to to find which level of intensity meets your needs.  If you buy the P90X program and realize it just is too intense for you, you've wasted $300. 40% of monthly gym membership fees goes to waste annually.    So of the $660 people on average pay for a membership, $264 of it is wasted.  Every year!

My guess is Microsoft will offer both a yearly and per month sub for Xbox Fitness.  If so, my guess is both will be reasonable since there is little cost overhead. 

Don't write off Wii Fit so easily. It's a great combination of fun and excercise. Use a bit of imagination and Wii fit is a good tracking tool to keep you motivated. Add weights and extra reps to the strength training and you'll be sweating in no time. Do 80 to 100 push up and side planks in the time the game does 20 and tell me your heart rate is not elevated. The yoga is nice for stretching and still a good a challenge with the precision of the board. The games are fun to play against each other and already got the kids motivated into excercising. Plus there's 4 years of growth tracking on there. How is Kinect 2 going to track your weight?

The cardio part of Wii Fit is by far the weak part. Just go outside for that, or put on kung fu live for a half hour non stop round, or a bunch of fast tracks on the highest difficulty on DDR if the weather sucks. I'll try those with the Wii Fit meter when it comes out. I wonder how it stacks up against the calorie counter in DDR. Anyway there are plenty better alternatives to paying 2 subs.

Free? You mean 1 year's rental w/gold.

So I take it the XBox Fitness trainer will be included as a fighter in the next Super X Bros. All-Stars then.

Who's the leader of the videogame industry?
Nintendo is.
John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

So gold subscribers will be able to try this for free for one year? Great will do for sure. P90X is something, if I could get feedbacks with Kinect why not? I'm in.

Yea! They have Finally Listened To Me!

But even, better - with not just the P90X guy but also Tracy Anderson, Jillian Michaels, and Shaun T.! This is another Killer App for the Xbox One.

As Adinnieken pointed out, Fitness is a huge industry and people pay good money for home fitness equipment, DVD's of routines, etc. but this one could change and customize more towards your goals and needs than other ones. Plus, they could add new routines, experiences, training, wow, this could exceed my expectations.

This is *HUGE* I know some people don't see the point, but I love my Wii Fit - it was great, I even had the nearly 3.8 million selling EA Sports workout when I got tired of the Fit ones (and also got Wii Fit+). But other than actually weighing you, Kinect kills it in every way (and can calculate your weight rather accurately too!)

I haven't seen anything in WiiFitU that makes me think of it as a challenger. You can't even jump in the jumping games on the Balance Board - yet you can dance and move all over the place with Kinect. Wii Fit was a great start, but it’s left behind now like an Atari 2600.

This will place the Xbox One as a great seller even on things like QVC - now before you gamers scream in horror, remember the more consoles sold, the more potential for more people to buy and play games. The more developers and producers make - the more games get made.

This is another reason why I am glad they stuck to their guns about a Kinect 2.0 being in every Xbox One box.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!