By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shin'en: If you can't make great looking games on Wii U, it's not the hardware's fault

ninjablade said:
Zero999 said:

gta is free to be called top of ps360 graphics, but it doesn't look better than X in any department.

the only "flaws" in pics of bayo 2 are stuff that apear too quickly on screen, wich means there's no reason to detail it. the enemies/characters/ scenario that don't move too fast are really detailed.

i'm only comparing trailers but this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5kPy0SAXNE is way more impressive then the X trailer, way more detail, way better faces, lighting is dyanmic, while it looks none existent in the X trailer, image quality looks much better as well.

gameplay doesn't lie, inferior in every sense: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDsJbAFWdIE

you will argue that there is no gameplay footage from X and I counter with the fact that nintendo doesn't make trailers better than the game. just check the trailer's gameplay.

p.s: even that gta trailer doesnt rech X.

Around the Network
ninjablade said:
fatslob-:O said:
cheesecake said:
FrancisNobleman said:

It's based on the fact that chipworks took a die shot and digital foundry did an analysis on it. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-wii-u-graphics-power-finally-revealed

The similarities to the AMD RV770 basically means it has 16 TMU's compared to the PS3's 24 TMU's. 

Like I said these small caches are fine if you attempt tiled rendering(software wise ofcourse).

The similarities between ps3 and a george foreman griller basically means it is not a console at all.

Next time make claims on facts. Only wii u devs under nda's know how many tmus it has, you surelly are not included in that category.

Surely you need to go look at digital foundry's analysis and calm your horses down down buddy, no need to flamebait me, and FYI I'm a PC gamer.

you mean the guys who came to the conclusion that they know everything about the WiiU's GPU, all the while saying that they don't know much about the WiiU's GPU?

I know the analysis is not perfect but you can't completely discount it.

the analysis was crap.

Yours isn't any better either. (Like seriously, I the wii u's gpu is small but it's not that small and ninjablade you very little about semiconductors compared to the others on this site. There is no need to downplay the wii u's spec without evidence to say that the wii does have 160 shader processors.) 

@Everyone Seriously does everyone here need to downplay digital foundry's analysis for the sake of defending the wii u or including wii u haters like ninjablade here to prove that the wii u is weaker ? Seriously I'm just one button away from reporting this whole thread.

orniletter said:

Surely you need to go look at digital foundry's analysis and calm your horses down down buddy, no need to flamebait me, and FYI I'm a PC gamer.

That digital foundry article is seriously a load of wank

This again ?

ninjablade said:

i just dont see how developers would say its only slightly faster or on par if it was 300 sp, all signs point tio it being a 160sp modern gpu, mening it slighlty better then the 360 gpu, cause if it was a modern 320 sp gpu it would blow 360/ps3 out of the water, pluse you have extra ram, there is just now way there would be that many inferior ports if it was  320sp all imo of course.

You discount how little 3rd parties care about making games for Wii U. They look bad because of the C or D-rank devs making games for them (Ubisoft Shanghai for Splinter Cell, case in point), not with anything to do with the hardware. How many 3rd party Wii games made the console look unfavorable compared to PS2?

The only fair comparison would be for a game made for the Wii U first, or at least co-developed by the same team and not some 3rd-world studio.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
ninjablade said:

i just dont see how developers would say its only slightly faster or on par if it was 300 sp, all signs point tio it being a 160sp modern gpu, mening it slighlty better then the 360 gpu, cause if it was a modern 320 sp gpu it would blow 360/ps3 out of the water, pluse you have extra ram, there is just now way there would be that many inferior ports if it was  320sp all imo of course.

You discount how little 3rd parties care about making games for Wii U. They look bad because of the C or D-rank devs making games for them (Ubisoft Shanghai for Splinter Cell, case in point), not with anything to do with the hardware. How many 3rd party Wii games made the console look unfavorable compared to PS2?

The only fair comparison would be for a game made for the Wii U first, or at least co-developed by the same team and not some 3rd-world studio.

Can you like close this thread before the hate goes out of hand ?

Around the Network
ninjablade said:
JoeTheBro said:

Don't get too crazy. The Wii U is actually a fair bit stronger than the current gen. The difference is devs have had 8 years to learn the nooks and crannies of the ps360 while only having a year with the wii u. By the time current gen systems are getting their last multiplat games, the wii u version will be much closer to the xbone port. Nintendo made a fairly strong system, X just isn't showing it.

yes i do believe wiiu is slightly better hardware then currentgen but its been a year since the wiiu is out, and ports continue to be inferior on it, and games are still not looking like the best of currentgen imo, heck i still havent even seen a wiiu game with great AA and the system is been out for a year, atleast if it could do currentgen games with out jaggies/higher frame rate then i might be convinced that wiiu is a step up. i believe nintendo made a very weak console, why the heck would devs say its slighty better or on par with currentgen.

The Wii U is more than slightly better hardware. It's a pretty good bump.

Also look at PS3. It's slightly better hardware than the 360 and 7 years later it still has lots of inferior ports. Your logic is severely lacking.

If you haven't even seen a wii u game with great AA, then that explains everything! You obviously don't have a Wii U.

To really explain why you're wrong, look at the tons of devs saying both PS4 and XBONE are on par. Do you believe them in that case too, or only with the Wii U?

Note: PS4 and XBONE are far from being on par lol.

Mr Khan said:

Can you like close this thread before the hate goes out of hand ?

Believe me, this is one of the better ones...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

This again ?

Yes

ninjablade said:
snowdog said:
ninjablade said:
snowdog said:
I do find it amusing that so many people are referencing the Digital Foundry article. It's complete nonsense.

lol the best part is the DF article makes the wiiu have double the amount of shaders when in reality the wiiu is most likely a 160sp gpu.

It's only likely to be 160 if you completely ignore the fact that the ALUs are 90% larger than they need to be to make that true. It's actually more likely to be an 'odd' number between 160 and 320, and closer to the upper value. I'd say that 300 or so is more likely than 160 personally.

The 'inferior' ports (and which ones are you referring to by the way?) are more to do with porting from the PS3 or 360 which have completely different console architectures compared to the Wii U. You have to remember that both consoles run 'CPU heavy' with the vast majority of floating point work being done by the CPU, the CPUs are in-order with multithreading and neither consoles have dedicated silicone for sound, IO or OS functions.

And that's before you take into account that the launch titles had the majority of the work done by second tier developers, with unfinished dev kits and tools and were rushed to make launch.

As far as ports are concerned you need to look at Watch Dogs in November and compare it to the PS4 and One SKUs considering all 3 consoles share a similar architecture and are believed to be ported from the PC.

snowdog said:
ninjablade said:
snowdog said:
ninjablade said:
snowdog said:
I do find it amusing that so many people are referencing the Digital Foundry article. It's complete nonsense.

lol the best part is the DF article makes the wiiu have double the amount of shaders when in reality the wiiu is most likely a 160sp gpu.

It's only likely to be 160 if you completely ignore the fact that the ALUs are 90% larger than they need to be to make that true. It's actually more likely to be an 'odd' number between 160 and 320, and closer to the upper value. I'd say that 300 or so is more likely than 160 personally.

The 'inferior' ports (and which ones are you referring to by the way?) are more to do with porting from the PS3 or 360 which have completely different console architectures compared to the Wii U. You have to remember that both consoles run 'CPU heavy' with the vast majority of floating point work being done by the CPU, the CPUs are in-order with multithreading and neither consoles have dedicated silicone for sound, IO or OS functions.

And that's before you take into account that the launch titles had the majority of the work done by second tier developers, with unfinished dev kits and tools and were rushed to make launch.

As far as ports are concerned you need to look at Watch Dogs in November and compare it to the PS4 and One SKUs considering all 3 consoles share a similar architecture and are believed to be ported from the PC.

is the WiiU version being ported alongside the PS4BOne versions, or is it done by second tier teams?