By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EDGE: Top 10 consoles of the last 20 years.

forest-spirit said:
I was about to enter berserk mode over the lack of SNES but then I realised it's older than 20 years. Damnit.

Yup! And I was sixteen when I bought mine (I was already working by then). Now I'm just depressed at how fast time has passed.

Around the Network

Two things.....

"...and nowadays Gran Turismo is no Forza..."

"The console showcased Japanese development at its absolute peak, before its vision was shattered by the schizophrenic desire to appeal to western audiences it neither knew nor understood. "

Also, the argument of the 360 in the number 2 spot would've been valid 3 years ago. Maybe even two years ago, but not today.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

PlayStation 3 should be on 4th

paulrage2 said:
PlayStation 3 should be on 4th

I agree.

1. PS1 and Nintendo 64

3. PS2

4. PS3

Oh please... the Dreamcast should be number 2 and playstation one number 1.

Those are the two systems that delivered the most innovation to the games market.

Around the Network

lol at this list. "the best system the industry has ever seen" so having almost every phat die because of a cheap laser qualifies as "the best"?

poor humanity.

I was pretty sure this had already been posted here, but I might be wrong. I think the reason this list doesn't include consoles like the NES or the Genesis is because they were released more than 20 years ago.

And I'm sure everyone knows the PS3 is behind the GameCube and the N64 because this is EDGE. I mean PS3 being behind the 360 would be ok, but still debatable, but come on. And why are the Wii and the DS so far behihd?

misterchoc90 said:
I was pretty sure this had already been posted here, but I might be wrong. I think the reason this list doesn't include consoles like the NES or the Genesis is because they were released more than 20 years ago.

And I'm sure everyone knows the PS3 is behind the GameCube and the N64 because this is EDGE. I mean PS3 being behind the 360 would be ok, but still debatable, but come on. And why are the Wii and the DS so far behihd?

360 is a great console especially for shooterphiles and was ahead of PS3 in the early days, but eventually the PS3's vast and varied game library changed that imo. It has been supported to the very end with The Last Guardian, Beyond Two Souls and Gran Turismo 6.

Of the last 20 years? Well that is a worthless time frame. Why even bother?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

the-pi-guy said:
theRepublic said:
Of the last 20 years? Well that is a worthless time frame. Why even bother?

Because Edge turns 20 this year.  For whatever reason people using commemorate 5, 10, 15, 20 years.  This is how they're commemorating their last 20 years.  

Yeah, I read the thread.  It is still silly.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)