By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Miyamoto: Retro Studios a very high priority for next Metroid game

Will you be happy if Retro made...

DCKR Trilogy 14 5.74%

Metroid 2D 35 14.34%

Prime 4 125 51.23%

Zelda 23 9.43%

Uncharted 15 6.15%

Other 31 12.70%

Total:243
Gamecube said:
Locknuts said:
I'm not getting my hopes up again. Not until there's some gameplay footage. Metroid Prime was the reason I got off my PC for an entire generation.

Remember fisrt inserting MP1 into the gamecube? That awesome Title screen? When Samus first appears on the space station? Nostalgia is kicking in..... going to fire up the old gamecube now:).

Everything was amazing about that game. Everything. It's officially my favourite game of all time.

Around the Network

Personally, I think DKC:TF has a good shot at being Wii U's best exclusive game this year. Granted, I also preferred DKCR to Galaxy 2 (but not Galaxy 1).

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

First off, if anyone is going to do a 2D Metroid, it needs to be Nintendo. They did a fantastic job with both Fusion (despite it's flaws it was still fun), and especially Zero Mission. THOSE same people need to tackle a new (preferable HD) sprite based 2D Metroid.

I wouldn't be dead set against Retro doing another Prime game, but I also don't think there is any need, whatsoever, for them to do another one. The trilogy was pretty self contained, as events taking place between Metroid 1 and 2. That's fine. Why draw it out even more? On the one hand, would an HD Prime game be gorgeous? Of course it would. Would they probably make it very well? Of course they would. However, the key figures behind the Prime Trilogy are no longer working for Retro, so not only is there the risk of it not being the same/as good, but there's also just the fact that I personally don't feel there is major justification (beyond money) to make another Prime.

I'm also a bit sketchy on a 3rd person 3D Metroid game at this point. Other M was horrible, hands down. Nintendo supremely fucked up by allowing buffoons like Team Ninja to handle one of their properties. As soon as I knew they were involved, I feared that the game was going to have the same shitty design problems that made me dislike their 3D Ninja Gaiden games. And though I maintained optimism and hoped that it would still turn out to be a good game, it wasn't. I was right, it had the exact same shitty camera, floating platforming, iffy hit detection, "meh" level design........you name it. All that is to say nothing of the absurd notion of flipping the Wiimote around to a FPS view (where you can't move) to fire missiles. That made boss fights arguably the worst boss fighting experience I've ever had in any game. It was just far too slow and tedious for what they were asking you to do. And to top it all off, the story was god awful, and the characterization of Samus was a joke. Almost nothing about that game was really worthwhile, which is a damn shame.

That of course does not mean a FAR BETTER development studio than Team Ninja (which wouldn't be hard at all) couldn't take a 3D Metroid concept and making it work. But honestly, I don't have any strong desire to play Metroid in 3D. I just want another good 2D Metroid. Either take Metroid 2 and give it the color "Zero Mission" remake treatment it has so long deserved, or give me a brand new 2D Metroid, in gorgeous HD that I can play on my big screen, spites not polygons, and erase some of the story mess that went on at the end of Fusion, and come up with something that is actually worthy of a sequel to Super Metroid (storywise and otherwise).

That's what I want to see. As for Retro? I still want to see them make their own IP. They are not just the Metroid and DK studio, and I would be pretty sad to see them just go from making another DK, to another Metroid again. They can do more than that, and I want to see it. I wouldn't be totally against them making a Star Fox, IF they did it right and made it play like SF64 (just better). But I'd still rather have Nintendo make that themselves too. I'd really just love to see Retro make something that is wholly their own, just to see what they could accomplish.

Pavolink said:
Player2 said:

And Wave Race, but you know, always look on the bright side of life...

Wave Race* is in another console, developed by Rare.

*Kinect required.

Nope. Just nope. When Nintendo finally decides to do the right thing and have Monster Games or someone (even themselves) make another ACTUAL Wave Race, then we'll have a Wave Race on our hands. And only then.

Th3PANO said:
fatslob-:O said:
cheesecake said:
Do people here hate metroid other m other than me ?

everyone hates other M dude.

Thanks and uh shitymoto better not be working with retro studio.

You know, Miyamoto helped them with Prime right?

i think he means Sakamoto.

Around the Network

I'd rather they didn't make another Metroid Prime. As great as those were, they've run their course.

Give us something new and exciting, like Prime was in 2002.

bad news.Why? because this means no Metroid "Prime" before 2015.....

Ohu.... You know, I have very much respect for Retro. They made a lot of videogames I loved.... but I wanted they use their talents too make games for others Nintendo franchises instead only Donkey Kong and Metroid...

cheesecake said:
Th3PANO said:
cheesecake said:
Do people here hate metroid other m other than me ?

everyone hates other M dude.

Thanks and uh shitymoto better not be working with retro studio.

You know, Miyamoto helped them with Prime right?

i think he means Sakamoto.

Weird how Sakamoto went crazy after Fusion. Whereas fusion's story was pretty good. Other M is filled with plot holes hyperbole and bad character development.

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

We all know Retro is now bigger than before, they even moved to a new, bigger building, so it's probably safe to assume that they have 2 teams. The "problem" is that if rumors are true, one of those teams is small and is in charge of creating a new engine.

Now, I don't know how credible those rumors are, but that could explain why they went with Donkey. They are basically using the same engine that the Wii game only beefing it up, waiting until the new engine is ready to do something bigger(*).

What could that game be? I don't know. A new Metroid, the Star Tropics game rumored prior to last E3, or something new. As long as it's a good and fun game I'll take it.

But what will the smaller team do once the engine is ready? Will they rejoin the main team? Will they be used to teach other Nintendo teams to use their engine? Or better than all that, why not using them to develop a classic 2D Metroid game for the eShop?

*bigger in terms of scale or gamer's/media attraction, not quality or sales wise.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.