By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 3DS will outsell the 360/PS3 before they outsell the Wii - But do not hold your breath on either of them outselling the Wii ever- Long live the King of last gen!

3DS will outsell Wii,

Why do you think 3DS will last intill 2016 only? It'll be have sales intill 2019/2020

Around the Network

There are going to be so many foaming-at-the-mouth-trolls in here, it won't even be funny anymore. *Runs for cover*

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

i dont think it will just a hunch.....

That sounds like a comfort. Ps3 will probably outsell Wii before 3DS or almost at the same time. 

PS: PS2 sold around 50mil after PS3 comes out

If PS360 outsell Wii, it will be before 3DS outsells them.

They'll be at/past 90 mill by end of 2014, 3DS won't be anywhere near that.

Also 3DS isn't taking off in the west, it'll do well this holiday thanks to Pokemon, but we've yet to see if that'll be sustainable.

Even after that price cut it's really underperforming outside Japan.

"360 would be at about 82 million by the end of this year"

This is why you should stay away from talking about sales Spurge! 360 will be going into the holiday season just under 80m, it's not doing a mere 2m over the holidays.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Cheebee said:

There are going to be so many foaming-at-the-mouth-trolls in here, it won't even be funny anymore. *Runs for cover*

no. trolls stay away when they no they cannot win.

I thought that's when they came out to play?

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Very interesting and we will just have to wait to see. I think the PS3 has a chance to beat the Wii once the dust settles but as its post-gen I don't see how it matters. The Wii was amazing but its dead and Nintendo has moved on - the PS360 twins are still kicking and selling relatively well for their ages so from that perspective they already won - but then again Nintendo made so much profit on the Wii it isn't even funny.

however I fail to see the relevance. If the 3DS were to outsell the HD twins before they were able to outsell Wii (or if they were) what does that prove, how does that really affect anything?

Also the correlation between the Wii U and 3DS, while it is a good metaphor, is not quite based in fact. If the Wii U were to get the same percentage sales jumps that the 3DS got from its price cut and games influx then the Wii U would still be selling less than the 3DS was when it was being called a failure. Don't get me wrong I hope Nintendo can pull it out (and I'll be basking in the great games along the way) but they're going to need a turn around much larger than the 3DS one.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

SSJGohan3972 said:
Very interesting and we will just have to wait to see. I think the PS3 has a chance to beat the Wii once the dust settles but as its post-gen I don't see how it matters. The Wii was amazing but its dead and Nintendo has moved on - the PS360 twins are still kicking and selling relatively well for their ages so from that perspective they already won - but then again Nintendo made so much profit on the Wii it isn't even funny.

however I fail to see the relevance. If the 3DS were to outsell the HD twins before they were able to outsell Wii (or if they were) what does that prove, how does that really affect anything?

Also the correlation between the Wii U and 3DS, while it is a good metaphor, is not quite based in fact. If the Wii U were to get the same percentage sales jumps that the 3DS got from its price cut and games influx then the Wii U would still be selling less than the 3DS was when it was being called a failure. Don't get me wrong I hope Nintendo can pull it out (and I'll be basking in the great games along the way) but they're going to need a turn around much larger than the 3DS one.

he just loves nintendo...

I personally think, with the amount of amazing first and 3rd party software on and coming to the 3ds and with 3 iterations all catering to different types of gamers and didn't age ranges and different social classes (if you will), that the 3ds in the end will be the highest selling console of all time across all charts. I think we have only seen the beginning of the 3dsplosion and I totally believe the 2ds is going to sell so much that if it launched by itself it would be considered a very successful console.

That is quite possible but you were kind of lazy in that prediction...
20 million for 2014/5/6?
No changes whatsoever?
IMO it will not sell that much for all those years, it will most likely perform better than all platforms on the market (unless PS4 REALLY takes off - which is unlikely) but seeing how it's lagging behind DS this year alone (Pokemon will greatly help it, but still..) i think you may be overestimating the current situation of the handheld market...
If the entire world was behaving like Japan then i'd see this as something likely to happen.
But still a possible outcoming (even more so to X360, seeing how it's fading away faster than PS3).
That's just my take on this.

Not-so-proud owner of every current-gen system. 

Next-gen is upon us folks!

And some cool and inspiring quotes

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” 
― Oscar Wilde
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” 
― Bernard M. Baruch