By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony expects to immediately recoup PS4 hardware loss

enditall727 said:

MS is supposedly going to break even at $499 with X1(but who knows now after their whole scrambling to up the specs thing) and I believe that Nibtendo was taking like a $25 loss with eac Wii U sold a while back. Nintendo said something like they would break even if each customer bought 1 game with their Wii U

OT: $60? I'm impressed

Which is what makes the whole thing really fucking confusing.  Since the XOne is so much lower powered.

The only thing I can guess is Microsoft and Sony are using different metrics on what "Break Even" means... with MS including more.

Either that or Kinect is way more expensive then we can imagine.

Around the Network

I wonder what the loss will be in euro

If this is true, Sony is looking right pretty going into this generation. I'll bet they're popping corks already.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Kasz216 said:
enditall727 said:

MS is supposedly going to break even at $499 with X1(but who knows now after their whole scrambling to up the specs thing) and I believe that Nibtendo was taking like a $25 loss with eac Wii U sold a while back. Nintendo said something like they would break even if each customer bought 1 game with their Wii U

Which is what makes the whole thing really fucking confusing.  Since the XOne is so much lower powered.

The only thing I can guess is Microsoft and Sony are using different metrics on what "Break Even" means... with MS including more.

I think I remember somebody from MS saying that Kinect was almost as expensive as the console itself.  Not sure how true that actually is, but I think it is safe to assume that Kinect is fairly expensive to produce.  The statements from Sony & MS are pretty vague, so who knows what they are including and what they are leaving out.

Carl2291 said:
Only a $60 loss is great when you compare it to the $200 loss with PS3.

Keep games coming and get a big PS+ userbase and we will be seeing big profits in the next few Years!

If I remember correctly, it was ~250 for the 20GB model and ~200 with the 60GB. Then you toss in the $100 price cuts the made after year 1, then 2, then 3 (along with cutting out things like PS2 HW, extra usb ports, etc.) and it's easy to see why it took so long to get out of the red.

In any case, huge improvement. I'll definitely be renewing my PS+ sub and buying a game when I get the system. Hell, I'd do them one better and buy Killzone via PSN.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Microsoft should love me then Xbox one plus 8 games extra controller included play & charge and another extra play & charge kit for my other controller £920 :)

DamnTastic said:
I wonder what the loss will be in euro

You mean profit

So i'd say SONY will be close to breaking even on each console sold , seeing as everyone gets a game. I myself am getting 2 controllers, 2 games and plus.

Kasz216 said:
enditall727 said:

I believe the new Kinect has dedicated chips which has to up the costs on top of the advanced specs in the device itself. Then theres the fact that yields on the main SoC are likely to be relatively low compared to the PS4 chip by virtue of being a much larger chip.

realgamer said:
Microsoft should love me then Xbox one plus 8 games extra controller included play & charge and another extra play & charge kit for my other controller £920 :)

I think that M$ loves you just for admitting your buying one!!!  :)

OT : good to hear they won't lose money.  I think it really crippled SONY corp during the PS3's first 4 years.