By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Games only possible on Wii U***: 3 minigames found!

Do you know of a game that proves me wrong?

No 44 33.59%

Yes, but you'll just disagree 63 48.09%

Results 24 18.32%

Total:131
pezus said:
Especially since both Sony and MS's consoles support second screen gaming as well...

Anything the WiiU can do with the pad, the other consoles can do with tablets or phones

Absolutely not.

There is a level of 0 lag, even negative lag, that the Wii U has built-in that MSony cannot achieve with devices they didn't create and only have a layer of software to work with.

Even Vita wouldn't equal Wii U's cooperation with its gamepad for intense gameplay. Well, maybe in the case of Vita since Sony controls those items completely they could get it to a point where it really did match Wii U. However, idk if Vita was designed with that in mind so likley it still needs some SDK creation on both pieces of hardware to make it work.

Around the Network
pezus said:
superchunk said:
ZombiU would have no where near the same intensity without the dual screen usage.

That doesn't mean the other consoles can't do it (SmartGlass, PS App, Vita)

No, their design and hardware proves they couldn't do it. ZombiU could not run as it does on Wii U on any other console, except possibly 3DS if it were powerful enough.

pezus said:
osed125 said:

That would be extremely uncomfortable.

Why? It requires the same movements and positioning as the WiiU pad. Still, this doesn't change the fact that nothing that WiiU does is impossible on the other consoles. Everyone (that belongs to the gaming market) has a tablet and/or a smartphone these days. If they don't now, they will in the near future.

I expected more from you Pezus. 

With the Gamepad you will have at least one hand holding the controller and you use the other one for the touch. This depends on the game however, in some games you will only have to use your thumbs to use the touchscreen.

Having a tablet in your lap would mean that you can't move a lot because you could drop the thing, and being in a position where you won't drop the tablet will get uncomfortable very quickly. Plus it's easier to see what's on the Gamepad screen that what's on the tablet in your lap, you will also have to move your finger further to reach the tablet screen, making games that use the screen heavily (like W101 for example) more troublesome.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Veknoid_Outcast said:
I'm a little confused about your OP, Joe. Is it just to prove that no game idea necessitates the Gamepad? That may be true, but the GamePad allows a lot of cool functions: five-player local multiplayer, asymmetrical multiplayer, off-screen play, plus a bunch of other features that haven't been presented yet.

But, again, the OP is strange to me. Super Mario 64 doesn't NEED an analog stick, but it sure makes the game a whole lot better.

It's not to prove a point. It's actually just research really into the viability of asymmetrical tv-gamepad functionality.

Super Mario didn't need an analog stick, which is why there were 3D platformers on the original PlayStation. The d-pad was an ok substitute. Same as the DS3 is an ok substitute for the majority of wii u games. It's worse, but still a substitute.

What I'm interested are the gameplay possibilities that only a wii u type setup can offer. For example ZombiU having zombies on the tv and the backpack on the gamepad/gamer in game&wario. This experience is just impossible unless you have two screens a fair distance apart hindering your ability to look at both simultaneously.

Spirited debate between a Nintendo fan and Nintendo fans.

Pezus. I'd like to see how far these smart glass initiatives and remote play goes. They are expecting too much initiative on the part of the consumer. People just want to plug and play as far as consoles are concerned. Expecting people to have both vita and ps4 is an investment of US$ 599 and then making a feature for that particular subset is going to be questionable.

I'd like to see how many of Sony's A teams do more than just remote play.

Around the Network
osed125 said:
Weedlab said:
Let's wait and see. I keep hearing X could be a game that is unable to be duplicated on current gen without significant downgrades. I am neither a proponent or an opponent of this argument, but I am willing to wait and see and make my own judgement when it launches.

Someone didn't read the OP.

Oh I did, I just pretended he asked what I felt like answering at the time about the Wii U and power. The minigame thing didn't interest me much. Still, great topic though.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

I don't see how any games would be only possible on wii u. I guess replicating the exact tablet experience would be hard, but sony has the ps vita. Still, might not be as good as the game pad experience overall though. Some of it can prob be also replicated with smart glass/tablets/phones etc to some extent.

anything can be ported to whatever system.

portal was ported to the original ds by homebrew devs.

the core game may change a little though. I think the metroid game in nintendoland is an example, can be ported, but loses the charm if it is not presented in the wii u setting.

JoeTheBro said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I'm a little confused about your OP, Joe. Is it just to prove that no game idea necessitates the Gamepad? That may be true, but the GamePad allows a lot of cool functions: five-player local multiplayer, asymmetrical multiplayer, off-screen play, plus a bunch of other features that haven't been presented yet.

But, again, the OP is strange to me. Super Mario 64 doesn't NEED an analog stick, but it sure makes the game a whole lot better.

It's not to prove a point. It's actually just research really into the viability of asymmetrical tv-gamepad functionality.

Super Mario didn't need an analog stick, which is why there were 3D platformers on the original PlayStation. The d-pad was an ok substitute. Same as the DS3 is an ok substitute for the majority of wii u games. It's worse, but still a substitute.

What I'm interested are the gameplay possibilities that only a wii u type setup can offer. For example ZombiU having zombies on the tv and the backpack on the gamepad/gamer in game&wario. This experience is just impossible unless you have two screens a fair distance apart hindering your ability to look at both simultaneously.

Fair enough. Personally, I think Nintendo Land alone proves the usefulness of the GamePad, even if some of the mini-games could be reproduced with a somewhat dizzying and expensive alternative, e.g., four 3DS units.

Is the GamePad necessary? Again, no. But many of the things that have become commonplace in the industry were once inessential.

In any event, I'm hopeful Nintendo and some third-party developers will surprise us in the coming years with some truly special ideas for the GamePad.

pezus said:

Vita was designed with Remote Play in mind. On the same home connection, there shouldn't be much lag at all. That's what the previews are saying as well.

Still, I am more thinking along the lines of having menus/gadgets/additional stuff on the smart devices, like it is in most WiiU games that use the pad anyway. Then PS4/PS3 + PS Vita/Vita TV will be able to do the game streaming almost flawlessly and then more than the U pad (because you can use it much further away)

Remote play and mirrored/simultaneous play are not the same thing.

The lag discussed in remote play is playing the game wholly on Vita as its streamed from cloud.

It is not the same thing as playing the game on both the ps4/vita at the same time with specific inter-gameplay between them.