By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japanese sales.... I can see why developers get a little gun shy

I know Japan is going through some tough times economically (though apparently not tough enough to pass up products pushed out by the big N), but I just took a look at the software sells over there. Man, it's terrible.

I'll do the wii, though the same thing holds true for pretty much every system save the ps2 and xbox360. There was a definate spike over there this past week due to brawl, but still. There have been right around 5 mil wiis sold to go with only 16 mil games. That gives you an attachment rate of just over 3:1. For anyone who thinks, "that's not too bad," keep in mind that 5 mil of those sales went towards wii sports and wii play.

Let me put it in a different way. In America, there have been 9 mil wiis sold. 18 games (7 of them being third party titles), have broken the half million sales mark and every game in the top 50 broke 170,000. In Japan only 24 titles have broken 100,000, and only 14 (2 of them being third party titles) have broken 200,000.

So, when a japanese developer craps their pants and thinks "I don't know if there's enough of a market for our game," I can see why.

Once again though, I'm not just picking on the wii. I just own one and in Japan I see proof that 3rd party titles (that don't include the words dragon warrior) don't really stand a chance.... Even the good ones (resident evil, zack and wiki, no more heroes, etc). If you want something even uglier though, check the psp in japan, an attachment ratio of less than 2:1!

Around the Network

^u have to keep in mind though that Wii Sports wasn't bundled in Japan

First of all, your examples are horrible. The last time a Resident Evil title sold over 500k in Japan was on the PS1. Zack&Wiki and No More Heroes are unadvertised niche titles that are selling low everywhere on the planet. Mentioning the Wii for poor third party sales is outright ridiculous, because the best selling third party game of this gen so far in Japan is on the Wii.

Secondly, I have no idea what you're trying to say. Please condense your point into one sentence.

Japanese developers haven't really given the Wii an effort so I do not feel sorry for them. If they had given the Wii the type titles that have hit the PS3/360 and saw no success I'd be more understanding of their situation. They bet on the wrong horse and they lost. Third parties have to either rectify the situation or go out of business.

The Wii has 11 third party titles with sales over 100k and two third party titles over 500k.

The PS3 and 360 combined have 9 third party titles with sales over 100k and zero games, third party or otherwise, with sales over 500k.

Around the Network

The link in Parokki's post won't work. I even tried selecting a game and changing the id of the game to 7009. What game is it?

Fact is, game sales are really slow in japan; just look at how low sales for titles for example on the second page of the top 200 charts are and compare it to NA, it's a huge difference.

All the other things you are saying don't really make sense to me though.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

People should pay more attention, I'm not just saying the problem lies with the wii. And I'm not just saying it's a third party problem. If you remove wii sports (budget title) and wii play (pack in title), the attachment ratio in japan, for the wii, is right around 2:1. That means an average of 2 games for every one wii owner. Those are terrible numbers. I'm not saying it's a wii only problem. PS3, the tie in is 2:1, psp it's less then 2:1.

I'm just saying that most games on the wii aren't seeing big numbers and 3rd party titles are mostly seeing abysmal numbers in japan. Not not saying every 3rd party title is great. (and BTW, NMH's was pushed in japan, gamers just didn't care).

And for fanboys who always seem to over look this fact.
zelda was a gamecube port with wii controls
paper mario was developed for the gamecube and then moved to the wii with new controls
donkey kong barrel blast was moved to the wii with new controls
mario party 8 (while not officially announced) seems like it was a gamecube game, turned into a wii game midway through development.

My point being, it's not just third parties pushing last gen quality games onto the wii and not taking advantage of the system.

@ fishyjoe

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but if you check the game sales totals for japan, you would see that NO third party wii games have sold a half million copies (though dragon warrior is about to)

tastyshovelware said:
People should pay more attention, I'm not just saying the problem lies with the wii. And I'm not just saying it's a third party problem. If you remove wii sports (budget title) and wii play (pack in title), the attachment ratio in japan, for the wii, is right around 2:1. That means an average of 2 games for every one wii owner. Those are terrible numbers. I'm not saying it's a wii only problem. PS3, the tie in is 2:1, psp it's less then 2:1.

I'm just saying that most games on the wii aren't seeing big numbers and 3rd party titles are mostly seeing abysmal numbers in japan. Not not saying every 3rd party title is great. (and BTW, NMH's was pushed in japan, gamers just didn't care).

And for fanboys who always seem to over look this fact.
zelda was a gamecube port with wii controls
paper mario was developed for the gamecube and then moved to the wii with new controls
donkey kong barrel blast was moved to the wii with new controls
mario party 8 (while not officially announced) seems like it was a gamecube game, turned into a wii game midway through development.

My point being, it's not just third parties pushing last gen quality games onto the wii and not taking advantage of the system.

I (personally) think you're focusing way too much thought about "attach rates" ...

1,489,525 people have owned the Wii for 3 months or less which represents over 28% of Wii owners; 1,996,356 people have owned the Wii for less than 6 months which represents 38% of Wii owners. Being that a typical gamer in any market is (probably) not going to buy more than a small handful of games in a given year, you shouldn't expect massive attach rates on a console that has such rapid growth in its userbase.