By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the PS3 widening its stride over 360 weekly sales long term or short?

Here are the numbers for this week:

PS3:

360:

From the previous weeks the gap was only about 20,000.  This week that gap is double.  Given that there might be some errors with the American numbers that NPD will clarify, what do people think.  And yes, we know the Wii is outselling both of them combined, but I think the winner between the PS3 and 360 will benefit a lot this generation by getting the games that are not geared towards a Wii audience and that are the super big-budget games.  This generation is very different from the one before it as far as I can tell.  I don't think one console will outright dominate in its allocation of exclusives, multi-plats, even if it has the largest market share.

Please discuss what you think.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

44K is nothing, if Microsoft doesn't go for a price cut, it will widen,

(I don't count for major exclusive releases, Sure, Microsoft will outsell PS3 during Gears of War 2 release month, but PS3 will do the same during MGS month)

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

This is a short term thing, I'm afraid. There a still a few more things that needs to happen before the PS3 can soundly outsell the 360 on a week-to-week basis.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

It will keep on expanding for a while to come

Munkeh111 said:

What makes you say that?

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Around the Network

360 is in it's decline so yes, PS3 will continue to widen it except for maybe a month if 360 gets a PC.

@ riot

It'll keep getting bigger until the 360 releases a major game (Halo Wars) or a price cut.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

akuma587 said:

.......but I think the winner between the PS3 and 360 will benefit a lot this generation by getting the games that are not geared towards a Wii audience and that are the super big-budget games.

I'm not so sure about that. Developing exclusives for either HD platform would be suicide as the sheer cost of developing those games is pretty high unless Sony or MS are footing the bill for exclusivity. A safer option for third parties would be developing for both and maybe PC as well(it's already happening as their are quite a few games being announced for all of these platforms) plus their specs are similar and most of their userbases have similar gaming tastes. The only console that will be getting exclusives that can't be done on the other systems is the Wii.

I would say the gap will widen slowly for quite some time or until M$ decides to drop the price of the 360. (of course, Sony can easily match any drops, so that may not have as much impact as M$ might hope)
What I'm personally looking forward to is all the fanboy flamewars if/when the 360 starts outselling the PS3 weekly again. LET'S GET GOING WITH THE PRICE DROPS MICROSOFT!!!!!

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Riot Of The Blood said:
Munkeh111 said:

What makes you say that?

I love the PS3... and 07 was the 360's year. Sony will be willing to match M$'s price drop, and when GTA IV comes people will remember in the back of their head that MGS 4 is coming in 1 month, and may just pick up their PS3. Anyway, PS3 does have a better line up this year. If it is outselling it now, when the 360 has a better library and the PS3 is more expensive, then when they are more equal, Sony has home up and running and yet more added features through firmware, and complete blu-ray domination, then Sony will have the edge