By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Naughty Dog says gender/minority debate will push industry forward

Tagged games:

Do you agree

Yes 52 74.29%

No 17 24.29%

Total:69

please Naughty Dog give us a gay protagonist!!

The Bitch is back! And better then ever! #BritneyReturns

SONY Bring them BACK for PS4 and VITA!

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
outlawauron said:
Euphoria14 said:
I would love to see more female leads in gaming and will be glad if Naught Dog moves in that direction. I'm tired of the muscled up stereotypical males. I don't ever want to see main characters like Marcus Phoenix again.

We need more strong women. That is why when I play games where you can choose your own character I almost exclusively create females.

So many people view them as inferior (Why that is, I don't know. They live longer then men for a reason you know?) and just having them being the driving force of an adventure feels so fresh.

Marcus Phoenix was a bad character because he was bad character.

I really don't care at all who the main character is, just as long as they're well developed and a good character.

It cannot be argued though that for decades it has always been male, male, male, male.

Yeah it can...

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

binary solo said:
WrathofTank said:
I don't think this will push the industry forward at all. I don't want them to push female lead characters unless it is a natural fit.

What the fuck is a "natural fit"? That's like saying women shouldn't be in the police, or be firefighters or be on the front lines in the military. That there is an inherently sexist statement.

There is NO role that women / girls can't fill naturally that is an essentially male role.

Existing characters can't be morphed into women / girls. No one is expecting Mario to become Maria, or Master Chief to become Mistress Chief, or Nathan Drake to become Nicola Drake. But what is inherently wrong with the next platformer mascot to be a female character, or the next FPS hero to be female, the next Action/Adventure icon to be a woman?

The new Tomb Raider shows the female action/adventure lead  can give strong sales in a realistic / non-stylised setting. Heavenly Sword proves a great hack'n'slash can be centred on female protagonists and not just man-mountains like Kratos.

There is a world of difference between a male police officer and a female police officer though based on standards and expectations of the job ... same with firefighters and military especially. Sadly, I don't see many women or feminist groups that argue that the current standards for women to become police (significantly less strict than that of males) should be raised, or that women should serve on the front lines with their male counterparts. Is very telling that no one seems to care about these types of things. 

And Tomb Raider and Heavenly Sword ... you sure you want to go with those examples? Didn't Square Enix just declare Tomb Raider to be a failure from a sales perspective (not saying it deserved it, but still)? Heavenly Sword was not exactly a major success either. Even PSP only God of War Chains of Olympus crushed it ... guess there is something to that "man-mountain" Kratos that consumers respond to more than ... um ... what's her name from Heavenly Sword (I played the game start to finish and I honestly can't remember a single character's name or any element of the story ... unlike God of War which was memorable even for a non-fan like me).

Hint that TLOU 2 will focus around Ellie tbh.

Top 10 Games of All Time

1. The Last of Us, 2. Journey, 3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, 4. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, 5. Bioshock Infinite, 6. Zelda: Twilight Princess, 7. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, 8. Super Smash Bros. Brawl, 9. Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword, 10. Starcraft

Add me on PSN. Thanks.

I am already tired of the obligatory minority and gender quotas in games. Far too often it feels artificial. I don't want gaming to become politicized. I wish they could let games be a free zone preserved from political correctness.

I'm also very tired of this holier-than-though attitude.

Around the Network

And still all you have to do is to kill everyone in their games.

I think people forget about Samus in Metroid. This proves that you can create a badass character, and it doesn't matter if it ends up being male or female. If Master Chief was female, it wouldn't matter. The games would all be just as good and revered by fans. If Uncharted had a female lead, it wouldn't matter.

Video game creators make games starring men because they're used to it. And, fankly, some of them are a bit immature and don't see women as equals. This certainly isn't a problem specific to this industry, it affects nearly every walk of life. But to engage in critical conversations in order to progress an issue is what moving any industry forward is all about.

It's time to grow up and realize that it's okay for a game to have a male sidekick and a woman hero. It'll be just as good (or bad) either way. It's up to us to evolve our perspectives in order to take gender "roles" out of the equation.

NightDragon83 said:
Euphoria14 said:
outlawauron said:
Euphoria14 said:
I would love to see more female leads in gaming and will be glad if Naught Dog moves in that direction. I'm tired of the muscled up stereotypical males. I don't ever want to see main characters like Marcus Phoenix again.

We need more strong women. That is why when I play games where you can choose your own character I almost exclusively create females.

So many people view them as inferior (Why that is, I don't know. They live longer then men for a reason you know?) and just having them being the driving force of an adventure feels so fresh.

Marcus Phoenix was a bad character because he was bad character.

I really don't care at all who the main character is, just as long as they're well developed and a good character.

It cannot be argued though that for decades it has always been male, male, male, male.

Yeah it can...

Odd that you would place that picture right after cutting out the rest of the post you qouted.

" We need more diversity. We need more Lara Croft's. We need more Terra Branfords. We need more Celes Chere's. More Ms. Pacman's!"

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Slimebeast said:
I am already tired of the obligatory minority and gender quotas in games. Far too often it feels artificial. I don't want gaming to become politicized. I wish they could let games be a free zone preserved from political correctness.

I'm also very tired of this holier-than-though attitude.

I agree with you, but please stop using the word minority as if its an actual race. Gaming is global.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

PlayMatt said:
please Naughty Dog give us a gay protagonist!!