By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is “GPU Acceleration” Xbox One Secret Sauce?

TimCliveroller said:
withdreday said:

These articles are becoming comical. The Xbox One just isn't as powerful and Microsoft knows it. I seems like it's just the fanboys that are tossing hissy fits about it. MS doesn't care.

Let's at least wait until the first batch of games release to see if it makes a difference. This type of thing just comes off as desperate though.

Already read that in like 1000000 places... Save, Repeat, Playback

It's true though. It wouldn't have to be repeated if a certain fanbase would quit grasping for straws on this topic. There's chance it might not make that much of a difference anyway.

Around the Network
DD_Bwest said:
This isn't directed at anyone in particular.

when you have a thread that is making comparisons in performance and power between the 2 consoles, it will ALWAYS attract both sides. this thread isnt just about the xbox, its about what it may have that could make it match or pass the PS4 in power. That will naturally make sony fans want to join in. This site is about comparing sales figures, and part of that is the differences between them, including power.

If you don't like an opposing side to the argument, go to a dedicated fan board or put it in the XB/ps nation thread. When you make a new thread, its an invitation to the whole community to come and discuss the topic. If you see a thread already made and want to discuss it without the other side, you can always bring it up in XB/PS nation thread, in a private message, or on a chat program.

why fill these threads with bitching about the other side for having replied and voicing an opinion? it gets you no where and derails the topic. rebut the opinion, not the fact that they posted.

Because it's against the forum rules.  See below (italics mine):

Spamming. Spam, or multiple short replies in a row without any substance, is not allowed. Explain and justify your opinions. If you have nothing to add to a topic, then go to another topic and post in there instead. Similarly, even if it's well defended, repeating your opinion about a console or game multiple times is also spamming.

Flamebait and trolling. Posts or signatures slamming a particular platform without basis - be it a specific console, macs, windows, or anything similar - will not be tolerated. This applies to specific games as well as consoles.

• You always have the right to express your opinion, as long as it is relevant to the thread topic, and you do so in a civil manner, justifying what you say. If you want to discuss something other than the thread topic, make your own thread.
  • The forums are here for gamers of all persuasions, so unless you're in a thread specifically geared towards platform comparison/discussion, keep your anti-platform comments out of the thread. Note that there is a difference between having a reasonable argument in the correct thread and trolling.
  • Similarly, do not create threads, posts or signatures just to bait people of a specific fan group. Bait threads will be locked and you will be moderated for them. If you spend a lot of time making hit-and-run negative threads or posts about a specific platform you will also be moderated at the discretion of the moderators.

Osc89 said:
Cool, so the Xbox One could be more powerful after all?

I think it is more in the lines of the difference may not be what so many are claiming. Only a few more months until we get to experience these consoles; then people can actually judge it better. (Not that it will change many opinions.)

Anyway back on track, I'm still interested in what the custom silicon on the xbox does. Looking back at the 360 arch, there were a few nifty ideas buried in there which didn't really pan out for reasons. Such as the eDRAM offering some "free" framebuffer post-processing, which was limited by being only 10MB. The GPU could also lock the CPU cache with the idea that a thread could stream data directly to the GPU for rendering.

These sort of features may be expanded and made actually useful with the benefit of hindsight of 360's foibles. Let's not forget that MS pioneered this integrated memory along with other nice features like unified shaders, in partnership with AMD.

Imaginedvl said:
bananaking21 said:
this is just getting beyond sad

No, it is just a thread about the Xbox One for Xbox enthousiasts.

Looks more like this everytime

Let it rest - The PS4 is the most powerful Console of the NextGen.
Doesn't matter if its 5 times faster or just a bit- We know it now.
No secret nuclear powerbrick and all that stuff you guys want to have and believe you have in your Xbox One.

Around the Network

so this post from the same site says it all basicly

JNZ
12 September, 2013 at 6:25 pm

You know… As someone who actually does very low level (assembly) ram management on controllers with extremely finite resources day in and day out…

I’m getting really sick of all the “RAM EXPERTS” on the internet who in absolute truth are more impressed that one type has a “5″ on it vs the that shitty old one with a “3″.

” unpartitioned ram pool (AMD created it as future tech, and Sony modified it)” gave you away as not having a clue about how the nuts and bolts really work. It’s OK, you’re like 99% of the rest of the internet, hell, you’re like 99% of developers because very few actually deal with ram management past “oh this is too big, I’ll make it smaller”.

Just stop with the hating. They are both going to be fine systems and if you think one console having “better ram” is more important than say a multi-billion dollar cloud/datacenter network you’re just going on about the equivalent of picking your nose.

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Adinnieken said:

WAIT!!!!  Before you respond.  Read this comment.

EDIT:  Now go to the source and finish reading the comments (there are only three).   THEN comment here.

Many of the things he/she states are many of the things I have deducted myself.  It's really fascinating for someone who has been in and around the computer industry for a long time. The big risk Microsoft takes with having all those extra processors is ending up like 'the cell.'  In that nothing works quite efficiently as one would like because it is so cumbersome to program.  So you end up with many games that aren't quite as good on one console as the other.

Now to prevent this, they have integrated the hardware with their well seasoned DirectX 11.2.  So to the programer, it looks like any other DirectX they are designed for on a regular PC.  For example they will send the sound off to the sound processors, thus freeing the CPU, and do not really need to know anything beyond what they usually do. 

I'm really glad to read it has two extra processors so snapping and records games with the DVR do not take any processing from the CPU.  This means you should be able to get some hits on that game where you are stuck, without losing any performance.  It's another good choice they made.  It might be a while before we really learn what some of those other ones do as well.

I like the analogy of a freeway better.  As someone who lives in a large city that has notorious traffic problems.  I look at the two hardware difference not so much as an engine but a freeway/road system.  They are both 8 lanes in each direction, but one say has a faster speed than the other, but the other one has a vast greater number of convenient exits, easier places to turn around, side streets, and extra connectors roads.  So which one will be better moving the most amount of traffic in the most efficient way? 

It's nice who seems to be more theoretical powerful on paper, but what really matters is performance.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:

Many of the things he/she states are many of the things I have deducted myself.  It's really fascinating for someone who has been in and around the computer industry for a long time. The big risk Microsoft takes with having all those extra processors is ending up like 'the cell.'  In that nothing works quite efficiently as one would like because it is so cumbersome to program.  So you end up with many games that aren't quite as good on one console as the other.

Now to prevent this, they have integrated the hardware with their well seasoned DirectX 11.2.  So to the programer, it looks like any other DirectX they are designed for on a regular PC.  For example they will send the sound off to the sound processors, thus freeing the CPU, and do not really need to know anything beyond what they usually do. 

Yes hiding it all in the API will make it all useable, MS is known for their good dev environment and support tools. The problem with the Cell wasn't totally from it being an oddball design, but reports that it was poorly documented with devs basically having to work from scratch on it.

Stinky said:
Zappykins said:

Yes hiding it all in the API will make it all useable, MS is known for their good dev environment and support tools. The problem with the Cell wasn't totally from it being an oddball design, but reports that it was poorly documented with devs basically having to work from scratch on it.

Having built furniture from Ikea and similar on more than one occasion I can imagine what that would be like. 

And hmm, I used to know some amazing and great tech writers at Sony.  I wonder what they are doing now...

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
Stinky said:
Zappykins said:

Having built furniture from Ikea and similar on more than one occasion I can imagine what that would be like. 

And hmm, I used to know some amazing and great tech writers at Sony.  I wonder what they are doing now...

Caveat being AIUI of course.