By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Bach: Xbox 360 to be profitable in 2008

From www.gamesindustry.biz:

Speaking to eWeek, Robbie Bach said: "It's a business that will be profitable next year. We'll make money next year and that will be the first time, which is pretty exciting."

Considering Microsoft lost $315 million in the division 360 is in (Zune too) just for Jan-Mar 2007, this strikes me as a pretty big deal, especially since Bach mentions he expects to make the profit from software revenue offsetting hardware that still sells at a loss.

Also, the article mentions that despite only profiting from software and low hardware losses at first, the hardware itself should break even by the end of the generation.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Hmmm... I guess tales of Microsoft making close to 75 a pop for each premium sold is a lie. No wonder they refuse to drop the price. They need to transition to 65nm cpu and gpu quick. Software is Microsoft's strongpoint now, but Sony and Nintendo will be stepping up their game soon enough.

Well if 360 won't be profitable until 08, its unlikely PS3 will see any price drops any time soon either, because they were losing even more money than the 360

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

MS claims every year that next year is the year the Xbox will be profitable.  Then next year comes and it magically remains next year that is will be profitable.  It's similar to the joke about Brazil, the Xbox will be profitable next year, and it always will be.

While you're right and you have to start to chuckle at MS each time they say it, I think they might be right this time.

The original XBOX blew its wad on launch day (Halo) and it was three years until they saw the next boom (Halo 2).

When Halo 3 launches, I expect to see about half a million 360s fly off NA store shelves. It will be huge. MS is coming close to profitability and they haven't even pulled out their big guns this generation. Add in a simultaneous launch of GTA IV this time around (how many people will opt for the cheaper 360 over the PS3?), Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and a handful of other AAA games and I think MS is sitting pretty this holiday season.

Are they sitting as pretty as Nintendo will be? Probably not, but Nintendo, while overlapping the 360 market, isn't the direct competitor that the PS3 is. And as long as MS is beating up on Sony, I think they'll be happy for the time being.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

The $75 "profit" on 360 mentioned was purely regarding manufacturing costs, it didn't account for things like marketing, distribution, and retail markup costs.

well he's probably right. However, if they end up dropping the price they will go back into the red. They will never make up all the money they lost this generation, much less last generation. I think that Microsoft is happy just to keep a lead over Sony despite losing money. That would put them in good position for next gen.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

I don't think they see this as recouping losses from past years (remember that the company as a whole posted record profit) They run their company similar to mine... don't look to hard at individual losses if it helps out the company as a whole... xbox brand helps microsoft brand name which can help windows and office sales (their bread and butter)... so i think they are willing to swallow a 500 million dollar loss if it means 3 billion dollars increased profit from other divisions (which are all located within the same campus in Redmond BTW) this is different than a company like Sony which branches itself over multiple divisons that don't really talk to each other (because they are separate incorporations, BMG and Vaio are not really the same company, just affiliated). This makes any one division more likely to be squashed even if it is helping the overall public image.

rocketpig said:
While you're right and you have to start to chuckle at MS each time they say it, I think they might be right this time.

The original XBOX blew its wad on launch day (Halo) and it was three years until they saw the next boom (Halo 2).

When Halo 3 launches, I expect to see about half a million 360s fly off NA store shelves. It will be huge. MS is coming close to profitability and they haven't even pulled out their big guns this generation. Add in a simultaneous launch of GTA IV this time around (how many people will opt for the cheaper 360 over the PS3?), Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and a handful of other AAA games and I think MS is sitting pretty this holiday season.

Are they sitting as pretty as Nintendo will be? Probably not, but Nintendo, while overlapping the 360 market, isn't the direct competitor that the PS3 is. And as long as MS is beating up on Sony, I think they'll be happy for the time being.

Isn't they actualy still losing about the same amount like they always has? I think someone pointed out MS situation in another thread. Damn I would love to get the man with the charts as picture into this discusion.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Last I read, they're making a small profit on hardware but losing it back on marketing, distribution, etc.

With the large install base of the 360 already in place and the fact that they're making a small profit (which will be larger in September) on the hardware, Halo 3 and GTA IV put them in a nice position this fall.

They will rake in huge profits on game sales while hopefully breaking even or losing a small amount on overall hardware sales. Once they get through this holiday and hopefully have switched to 65nm process, the profits could turn into a windfall for them.

It might not happen, but they're not in that bad of shape as things stand now.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/