By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you think that religion has any place in politics?

As religion can lead to some rather disadvantageous results (Bush's first veto was used on a stem cell research bill well past his re-election). Now most stem cell research is in Korea or UK or wherever there isn't such a connection between religious views and policies.

Also what one does that doesn't affect others around them should not have any legislation against them (abortion, gay rights, etc.). I know that if i knock up some girl I'd keep the baby for sure, but if someone else out there wants to abort it, well good for them I don't give a damn. What I see with religion is people forcing their views on others. Therefore religion should stay as far away as possible from any sort of power that control's people's lives.

Around the Network

Simple fact of the matter is religion at the level of an individual is cute, religion at the level of a group is ignorant and intolerant, religion at the level of rule and governing is pure poison.

Mnementh said:
It should be separated for reason: If religion and politics are separated it means, politicians have to give reasons for their decisions, that are based in rationality. If a politician has to resort to religious reasons to explain a decision and gives no other reasons, you have to ask yourself if this decision can really be explained on a rational base. That doesn't mean that all politicians have to be atheists. That only means, they should find reasons for their decisions besides religion.

pretty much on the dot.  morality from religion is fine as long as its backed up by reality.  no one has any right to say someone cant hold a view because of their religion.  they can contest whether they have itonly because they are told too.

example: the right wing, or "religious right," claims that abortion is bad because its killing, yet we have caused many more deaths than would have happened had we not gone into iraq.  The left wing wants abortion because they believe women have the right to it, but that the iraq war is wrong because we are invading a non aggressive country and causing civilian deaths.  the right's views conflict, while the left's does not.  because they say life is sacred in the bible yet only apply it where they want, it is now hypocracy and not religious views.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

PDF said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

I think PDF just wants us to say its ok to have his religious beliefs in politics

But he's not going to get people to agree, what if I don't agree with your beliefs PDF, why should I have you dictating your beliefs to me via law?

You have not answered any of my questions directly but instead avoid them.  I will answer your question directly.

I want you to understand that you cant say somone opinion is no good because it has faith behind it.  As i will say your is just as good without faith.  UNDERSTAND?

I want people to dissagree with the substance of a law not if it has faith or no faith.  If you dont agree with my beliefs it is fine,  Your opinion is just as valid as mine.

I am not dictating my beliefs on you any more than any congress man is trying to dictate his beliefs on you.  Everyone has beliefs even people of no faith.  It plays into their judgment and decisions.  You should just see all people beliefs = and dissagree with the substance of it not the fact that it may be a bit faith driven.

What questions have you asked that I haven't answered?

Ok, then disagree with this, abortion is a right of privacy according to the court, The fetus before the third trimester is not viable, adnd therefore not a living being so that's the reason why it should remain legal, at least prior to the third trimester, now go ahead and tell me why it shouldn't, without using faith/religion

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

PDF said:

@avinash- I will use faith as a influence of how I got to my opinion and that should be ok with you but I will not use a, because the bible says____

As of now the law stands and I am willing to except that. If I could change it I would push it back to the 2nd trimester because that is where I think life truely starts and I think killing a innocent life is wrong. I also would like to see a way of preventing it from becoming a way of pregnancy prevention. Maby a 2 strike rule.

Abortion is a tricky matter and I dont have any better of a answer than anyone else does. We just need to compromise and come to an agreement.

Except its not viable by the 2nd trimester, since it can't survive outside the uterus, even around six months it will probably need artificial means to keep it alive

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
PDF said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PDF said:

@avinash- I will use faith as a influence of how I got to my opinion and that should be ok with you but I will not use a, because the bible says____

As of now the law stands and I am willing to except that. If I could change it I would push it back to the 2nd trimester because that is where I think life truely starts and I think killing a innocent life is wrong. I also would like to see a way of preventing it from becoming a way of pregnancy prevention. Maby a 2 strike rule.

Abortion is a tricky matter and I dont have any better of a answer than anyone else does. We just need to compromise and come to an agreement.

Except its not viable by the 2nd trimester, since it can't survive outside the uterus, even around six months it will probably need artificial means to keep it alive

You dissagree with me but do you recognize my right to have my opinion even if faith influences it???

The reason I say 2nd trimester is because I think when the brain forms is when life starts.   I also think it is a good middle agreement butween the 2 sides of this arguement.

Some argue that life starts right away and any abortion is ending a life that could of been had.  I may not completely agree with them but I think they have their right of opinion.  Most people who think that are faith influenced but that is ok.  I also see your opinion of life starting with the 3rd trimester which was influenced by somthing just as equal as my opinion and people who think it starts at conception.

Difference is faith is not provable, unless you can prove it, I hesitate to give it the same weight as something which is based on scientific evidence, we know that the fetus is not viable in the second trimester, we do not know if there is a god or a soul, so you're  trying to base your opinions on something that cannot be proven to exist

PDF said:
@avinash but you cannot prove it doesnt exist. Also I said the arguement is that your killing somthing that could of lived. If you dint interfere then it would of became a baby.

We are so close at settling this. Your opinion is = to anyone opinon that is faith based. Your opinion is based on how you grew up and raised and experiences just like their was, they just had some religion incorporated in their life.

When a opinion is proven it becomes fact like gravity. That is not a opinion it is fact. When somthing is proven as a fact and can not be refuted it is correct.

Except that its not alive, so you aren't killing it, since it can't survive independently at that point.

See the problem is you're trying to use faith to override what we know in science and what is legal under the constitution, and that is where the problem arises.

soccerdrew17 said:
Mnementh said:
It should be separated for reason: If religion and politics are separated it means, politicians have to give reasons for their decisions, that are based in rationality. If a politician has to resort to religious reasons to explain a decision and gives no other reasons, you have to ask yourself if this decision can really be explained on a rational base. That doesn't mean that all politicians have to be atheists. That only means, they should find reasons for their decisions besides religion.

pretty much on the dot. morality from religion is fine as long as its backed up by reality. no one has any right to say someone cant hold a view because of their religion. they can contest whether they have itonly because they are told too.

example: the right wing, or "religious right," claims that abortion is bad because its killing, yet we have caused many more deaths than would have happened had we not gone into iraq. The left wing wants abortion because they believe women have the right to it, but that the iraq war is wrong because we are invading a non aggressive country and causing civilian deaths. the right's views conflict, while the left's does not. because they say life is sacred in the bible yet only apply it where they want, it is now hypocracy and not religious views.

See... this here is why people need religion. As long as you phrase it right, you can make anything sounds rational. When it comes down to it though, you need to have points at which you say "This is wrong and this is right, and even if it seems rational, I know it's not."

you're justifying abortion, the deaths of those who are completely innocent, those who have never even had the CHANCE to commit a crime or harm anyone or endanger society, by saying "well, we're already killing people over here" so this should be okay too!

So because you're unable to recognize teh obvious differences between these entirely different cases, you're saying all of it's okay! As long as someone else is doing something wrong, that's a good enough excuse to do something wrong to those people too!

I'm not even going to get into the neccesity for preventetive measures against a foe that uses guerilla tactics instead of typical rules of engagement in warfare.

And legally, if a pregnant woman is killed, it's double murder, so an unborn child IS apparently considered to be a life. There is also no real constitutional grounds that a woman's "right to privacy" allows her to supercede her child's right to life. It's because i believe in god as an overriding authority of what is right and wrong that I can recognize that just because a law has been passed does NOT make it correct.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

PDF said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
PDF said:
@avinash but you cannot prove it doesnt exist. Also I said the arguement is that your killing somthing that could of lived. If you dint interfere then it would of became a baby.

We are so close at settling this. Your opinion is = to anyone opinon that is faith based. Your opinion is based on how you grew up and raised and experiences just like their was, they just had some religion incorporated in their life.

When a opinion is proven it becomes fact like gravity. That is not a opinion it is fact. When somthing is proven as a fact and can not be refuted it is correct.

Except that its not alive, so you aren't killing it, since it can't survive independently at that point.

See the problem is you're trying to use faith to override what we know in science and what is legal under the constitution, and that is where the problem arises.

It was going to be alive is the point. If you plant a seed in the ground and let it grow for a couple of days then you dig it up. It was never really a tree but you killed it all the same because you took its chance from being a tree away.

The problem is your trying to overide any person with faith who are just important as you under constitution because they recieve one vote just like you. So no matter what you think their opinion is equal under the Law and you fail to see that.

Also I do not think it is the right for a the Supreme Court to make law. They shall only interpret not make. So Roe v. Wade should have never been made. Only congress has the right to make laws as it is stated in our constitution.

Supreme court doesn't make laws, it just deems which ones are actual laws following the constitution and which laws aren't, in other words they only inerpret the laws. In Roe v. Wade's case they did not make a law, it's the fact that if anyone anywhere prohibited abortions, the person who was denied can just show up at the Supreme Court and will be deemed in the right.

Personally i think religion should be left out of politics.

First of all, its in the US constitution to have a seperation of church and state, and that no religious test is to be made to hold office (even though we fuckin hear this shit everyday with people wanting to know how religious candidates are, ridiculous.)

Second, countries like Saudia Arabia are what you get when they become religious states. If you havent heard why it sucks to live there, especially if your a woman, look it up.

The big problem with religion in goverment and politics is while, yes, they can put up a standard of morality, its a subjective standard of morality. In the end persons who do not believe in that faith end up becoming discriminated against and having a religion and faith they dont believe in forced upon them.