By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - German Hardware Sales (GfK)

wiiforever said:
koopatrooper said:
ps2 selling more than ps3 is shocking and sad

well then manybe sony should finally cut off the PS2 and end all embarassment

sony is making profits from the ps2,so i think they will not cut off the ps2 until they make profits from the ps3

Around the Network

Could someone help me with this please?

"Thomas Zeitner, Geschäftsführer des Spielerprogrammierers Electronic Arts Deutschland, warnt vor voreiligen Schlüssen: „Die Erfahrungen der vergangenen Jahre sprechen für die Vertriebskraft und die starke Marke von Sony. Die sollte man nicht zu früh abschreiben.“ Wie stark die Marke ist, zeigen die GfK-Zahlen: In der Novemberwoche, in der die Xbox über 10 000 Verkäufe schaffte, gingen von der – deutlich billigeren – Alt-Konsole Sony PS2 immer noch über 45 000 Stück über die Ladentheke. Aber trotzdem: Mit der PS3, so Zeitner, werde sich Sony zumindest wohl nicht wieder so meilenweit wie mit der über 100-millionenmal verkauften PS2 von der Konkurrenz absetzen können."

What does "Novemberwoche" mean? Is it the whole month of November, or just one week in November?

BKK2 said:
Could someone help me with this please?

"Thomas Zeitner, Geschäftsführer des Spielerprogrammierers Electronic Arts Deutschland, warnt vor voreiligen Schlüssen: „Die Erfahrungen der vergangenen Jahre sprechen für die Vertriebskraft und die starke Marke von Sony. Die sollte man nicht zu früh abschreiben.“ Wie stark die Marke ist, zeigen die GfK-Zahlen: In der Novemberwoche, in der die Xbox über 10 000 Verkäufe schaffte, gingen von der – deutlich billigeren – Alt-Konsole Sony PS2 immer noch über 45 000 Stück über die Ladentheke. Aber trotzdem: Mit der PS3, so Zeitner, werde sich Sony zumindest wohl nicht wieder so meilenweit wie mit der über 100-millionenmal verkauften PS2 von der Konkurrenz absetzen können."

What does "Novemberwoche" mean? Is it the whole month of November, or just one week in November?

Woche does indeed mean Week, but since its used as a compound with November I would  think it means "November period"? I might be wrong. 

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

No, it means week of November. He is referring to one particular week where the Xbox sold more than 10k and the PS2 sold more than 45k.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Has anybody posted the original press release from Euro am Sonntag? Here it is:

http://www.finanzen.net/nachricht/_urams_Exklusiv_Nintendo_haengt_Konkurrenz_ab_673747

It's still not the article, it's just their prerelease to make you buy the newspaper. The wording is similiar to what de.internet.com wrote.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

Around the Network

Thanks, that was from November 2006 anyway, I was just trying to find sales data prior to PS3 release. Those are quite high weekly sales so I guess they're from a week towards the end of November

Thanks for the link too. I think I might have made a mistake with the DS figure, is the 1.8M in the press release life to date, or 2007 year to date?

Hey guys!
So i asked GFK and they answered the following: (english translation)
"Hello *****,

We did not provide this data and we can't tell you, where the author got that data from.

We apologize, but we can't help you with this problem.

Greetings from Baden-Baden,
*****"

So they ignored my main question about that "80%"-thing. I will write them again and i will tell them, that the source is "Euro am Sonntag"... and I'll try to ask about that 80%-thing again ^^.

@BKK2:
Yes, the 1.8 million is 2007-data only.

After a long hiatus from GfK Media Control figures we get PS3 LTD. The Article is from today, so I'm not sure if GfK August numbers would be available yet, or if this is through July.

Die Preise in Deutschland bleiben noch unverändert, bestätigte ein Sprecher auf Anfrage. Aber das dürfte nicht so bleiben. Hier hat laut Marktforscher GfK die PS3 mit 640 000 verkauften Einheiten die Xbox sogar schon überholt, obwohl sie ein Jahr später gestartet ist.

Google Translation:

Prices in Germany remain unchanged, a spokesman confirmed on request. But that should not continue. Here, according to market researcher GfK PS3 with 640 000 units sold the Xbox even obsolete, although they started a year later.

Full Article

LTD:

PS3: 640,000 (August 08?)

Edit: GfK Media Control have weekly software charts, so presumably have weekly hardware sales too, so I think the PS3 LTD is probably through August.

If the latest LTD numbers are through August then VGC is dead on (almost) 624k compared to 640k from GfK.