By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - German Hardware Sales (GfK)

so it seems all are a bit overtracked

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
ioi said:
Interesting, maybe we are a little high on our PS3 figures then. I'd imagine the GFK data is scaled up to represent 100% from an 80% sample, but we will check to make sure...
It seems you are way too high in this case. I think that GfK tracks  on the same level in Germany as MC does in Switzerland. MC tracks about 80% in Switzerland, however these 80% include all the "big players", responsible for about 95% of all sales. Same in Germany, all the big players are tracked by GfK. Upscaleing GfK numbers to 100% therefore would yield numbers roughly 5% higher, so your PS3 numbers will stay way off.

This just prooves again the PS3 is overtracked in Others

You aint found shit!

ps2 selling more than ps3 is shocking and sad

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!

bet with *no one yet* that the combined first week of Monster Hunter 3 in america and europe will be 600k or more! winner changes looser sig and avatar for two months!

hmm.. the wording of the article ,which is linked in the original post, is pretty fuzzy ...

they say "Der japanische Elektronikriese setzte von seiner ... Playstation 3 (PS3) _vor_ Weihnachten rund 136.000 Einheiten ab." , which translates to "the japanese electronic giant sold 136k units of their PS3 _prior_ to christmas" - Do they really mean november+december numbers with that or just november + december 1-24 or sth. like that?

and a second one:
"Laut GfK hat der Konzern von _März bis Dezember_ 2007 insgesamt 309.000 PS3 verkauft." - According to the GfK the company sold 309k PS3s from march to december 2007. - Do they mean march -> end of december or march -> beginnig of december ?

depending on the interpretation of this article PS3 might have been at sth above 445k (309k march-> beginnig of december ; 136k "prior to" christmas in december ) at the end of 2007 in germany or at sth largely above 309k (309k march-> beginning of december ; 136k "prior to christmas" in november+december) or at the 309k the OP posted ...

badly written article in my opinion, although I'm fairly sure ,that the interpretation the OP made, might be the true one

Around the Network

@Lafiel: they definitely mean until the end of december. you dont question either if they started tracking 31st of march (which would be stupid) so they didnt stop 1st of december.

trying to be too accurate sometimes leads to illogical "inconsitencies".

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

koopatrooper said:
ps2 selling more than ps3 is shocking and sad

well then manybe sony should finally cut off the PS2 and end all embarassment

@ faxanadu )

I said in my conclusion, that im fairly sure that this is the case (because if you add up all numbers you come out at 308k for PS3 -last 1k could be from rounding errors-  and in the case ,that 136k is from dec1st/2nd -> 24th ,then in november 136k PS3s must have been sold , which seems very highly unlikely aswell), but the text doesn't tell us with 100% certainty, which I wanted to point out.

They gave out a number for "prior to christmas sales" , so I think it's not that illogical to tell us a number for the span before the "prior to christmas" interval begins.

I'm mostly critizising the poorly written text here.. it could have just said "in 2008 ... Wiis , ... 360s and .. PS3s were sold" and there would have been no reason for my complains.

The LTD is 309K through 2007. I cross-checked their 309K with previous LTD through October which was 172K + the Nov-Dec 136K = 308K. All these numbers are rounded to the nearest 1K, which explains the 1K discrepancy, but the 309K is closer than the 308K.

^ added that section in my post aswell (I realized that before) , together with other reason to belief this is LTD to show ,that I'm critizising the text here , while I'm confident in the numbers you posted