By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita TV is just excellent

Buckwheat said:
I apologize ahead of time if this question has been asked. I looked through most of the posts and didn't see it. Does the Vita TV and the PS4 have to be connected to the same IP address? Could I feasibly take Vita TV to my friends house, connect to his high speed internet connection, and stream games from my PS4 at home?

Probably through remote play because it is currently possible with ps3/vita if you have good speed.

Around the Network

I think this will be a hard sale as a media player since Apple TV etc stream at 1080p but it will be great for ps3 and backwards. I want my ps4 games in 1080p so I doubt I would use this to stream ps4 to another tv

"Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller

nuckles87 said:

It's a Vita that can't play the best Vita games and is only $50 cheaper then a PS3 or Vita for the entry level consumer. What IS the potential exactly?

And have you ever actually used a cloud service before?

I am getting this mostly because it's pretty much a cheap media box that will be able to stream PS4 game play at some point in the future. But the problem is this thing isn't being marketed as a PS4 peripheral/playstation media center. It's being marketed as a Vita, which is a massive mistake.

It's $100 cheaper. If you have a PS3 already then you have a DS3. If you don't have one you can buy DS3 for cheap. You don't have to buy the $150 pack which includes a DS3 and a 8 GB memory card.

In a way, this is even more confusing to mainstream consumers than the 2DS taking away 3D from 3DS games, as they literally can not play a lot of Vita games on a Vita labeled "console" and it splits the user base for developers.

Where is the fanboy uproar?

Even for a hardcore Sony fan, I don't see that many benefits beyond the Apple TV stuff. I tried playing PSP games on my TV and it felt pointless, so after a few times I never used the feature and just fired up one of my consoles.

vfguy said:
In a way, this is even more confusing to mainstream consumers than the 2DS taking away 3D from 3DS games, as they literally can not play a lot of Vita games on a Vita labeled "console" and it splits the user base for developers.

Where is the fanboy uproar?

Even for a hardcore Sony fan, I don't see that many benefits beyond the Apple TV stuff. I tried playing PSP games on my TV and it felt pointless, so after a few times I never used the feature and just fired up one of my consoles.

What I can't understand is why people keep on comparing Vita TV to 2DS? ! It's not same thing, it's not even a similar thing. 2DS is designed for kids, it's more durable, without a 3D and it's cheap. It's not supposed to replace your 3DS, it's supposed to be your kids "3DS".

Vita TV, is SONY's take on Google TV, Apple TV... I don't see what's strange about that... They've been selling Google TV boxes for quite some time. And to be honest Vita does offer more overall value than either Google's or Apple's products.

Splits user base for developers? In what way? I see it as something that potentially makes user base bigger so more developers will actually start developing for Vita. And there are only few games that utilize Vita's touch control in a way that can't be replicated on Vita TV. Well at least not yet, with PS4 launch and DS4 contoler things might change.

Access to PSX, PSP and PS Vita games, media streaming device, SONY's Music and Movies unlimited, Gaikai, PS4 streaming... 

PSP was 272p, Vita is 540p. People still play their Wii's and PS2's that are 480p and they don't complain about visuals. And Vita should offer better than that. 

Around the Network

Then why not call it Playstation.TV/PSN.TV or something. Emphasizing the overall eco system rather than the least successful part of the eco system seems smarter.

Also, you answered your own question. Without a touchscreen or a touchpad, some games will not work or not work quite right.

Maybe they should have waited and included the DS4 in the bundle.

As for the resolution, one of the big benefits of the Vita is the glorious screen with its crisp resolution. 540p on my big TV is going to strip out a lot of that glory. At least when I play PS2 games, I expect them to look like crap in 480p.

Also, since most of the library offers a console experience on the go, I would rather actually have the console experience on the TV than lesser version of console games lessened even further. With more Vita specific games, the experience is still going to be better on the Vita itself, what with the touchpad/screen.

NoCtiS_NoX said:
nuckles87 said:

It's a Vita that can't play the best Vita games and is only $50 cheaper then a PS3 or Vita for the entry level consumer. What IS the potential exactly?

And have you ever actually used a cloud service before?

I am getting this mostly because it's pretty much a cheap media box that will be able to stream PS4 game play at some point in the future. But the problem is this thing isn't being marketed as a PS4 peripheral/playstation media center. It's being marketed as a Vita, which is a massive mistake.

It's $100 cheaper. If you have a PS3 already then you have a DS3. If you don't have one you can buy DS3 for cheap. You don't have to buy the $150 pack which includes a DS3 and a 8 GB memory card.

I said entry level consumer. As in, the consumer that doesn't already have a PS3. So no, it's $50, and there's no point in it for people who don't already own a PS3. And the price for a used DS3 at GameStop is $48, so that isn't exactly "cheap".

For people who DO already own a PS3, there also isn't much of a point right now, due to the aforementioned compatibility issue. Most compatible Vita games already have superior versions on the PS3, leaving only a few exclusives. There is a point for PS4 owners, but it has little to do with this thing's ability to play Vita games.

oops, double post.

If this thing does everything it says it could do, this is a day 1 purchase for me. I've been contemplating getting a Roku or Apple TV for a while now, but if this device can do all that AND serve as a VITA AND stream PS4 games to any TV in my house, the $100 price tag is completely justified IMO.

Keep in mind, PS4 streaming is not a day one feature, unfortunately.