By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is the Vita a "Game Gear 2"?

kupomogli said:
lehamsy said:

Technically, but I meant Sonic as an exclusive.

Besides Sega Genesis Collection? I pretty sure that game isn't available for the Vita... atleast in America. I haven't seen that game in the PS Store. 

Sega Genesis Collection works for the Vita, but it's one of those games you can't download through the Vita itself.  There are some games that have to be downloaded through the PS3 and then transferred to the Vita.  Might be possible to purchase through the PSN Store through PC as well then transfer to your Vita from your PC, but not sure.

Here's a list that shows PSP compatibility with Vita. 

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/index.php?showtopic=281768

Ok that's new. Thanks for the Info. I've always wanted to play Sonic's classic games in the Vita, but I didn't knew that.  

Around the Network
Viktor said:

And surprise no new 1st party announcement at E3 and GC, instead concentration on ports of old smartphone indy games and a publishing deal with a 3rd party developer for a Nintendogs clone called Playstationpets.

Nintendo has no patent on pet games. There were many games in this genre before Nintendogs and the idea for such games ain't THAT original: most children want a pet, not every child may have one. And Playstation Pets emphases different aspects, some of them I like (going on an adventure with the pet), some i don't (talking animals).

It's the same situation with singing games. Sony didn't invent them, but SingStar became one of the most popular. If Lips, Guitar Hero, Rock Band and many more copy some of the game mechanics, Sony and its fans have to live with it. Even Nintendo is not beneath that: while I had a blast with DKC: Tropical Freeze at GamesCom, the next few Nintendo booths were advertising "Wii Karaoke U"... very similar to SingStar.

If a game is popular and the key aspects are easy to copy, others will try to get a piece of the pie.

Viktor said:
Conina said:

Ports of older games are even more worthless, since EVERYONE already played EVERY game in the past. And don't come with "upgraded graphics", "portability" or "additional gameplay", Persona 4 was perfect on PS2, so were MGS2, MGS3 and Final Fantasy X/X-2.

Ports of old games: if I was interested in one of those games I likely already bought them, if not probably I didn´t really have any interest in the first place, thank god I´m not desperate enough to buy mediocre games to justify a system I´ve bought and a patient person that I actually can wait for new software.

So you had time to play every game that interested you in the past? Never missed a good one, you first thought, it's not your cup of tea?

I have LOTS of them. And some of them I can now finally play when I'm not at home.

I wasn't interested in the Persona-series. Due to the good reviews, i bought Persona 4 Golden... was instantly hooked and bought Persona 3 Portable in a sale, too. Played P3P two times in a row (male and female version)... what a blast!

Or the Final Fantasy series. Loved the PC versions of FF7 and FF8, but never played the former nor the latter... too much time investment with so many other great console and PC games. A few years ago I bought the "Final Fantasy 1 & 2 Anniversary Edition" for the PSP, since I often have spare time, when I'm not at home. The DS-remakes of FF3 + FF4 followed. I hoped for remakes of FF5 + FF6 but never got them. Now I'm playing FF9 on my Vita and can't wait for FF10 and FF10-2.

I also never tried a Fire Emblem game before, wasn't into Japanese strategy games. Now I absolutely adore Fire Emblem: Awakening on my 3DS and just bought some Disgaea games in the actual PSN sale.

archer9234 said:
kupomogli said:
The Vita has better battery life than the 3DS while the Game Gear took six double a batteries which would be dead within a couple hours.

It was worse with 90's Ni-cad rechargables. They died within 5 MINUTES.

Main reason why I usually played my Game Gear in my room plugged into the wall.

Ronster316 said:

Would rather not have the SEGA Game Gear and PSV mentioned in the same breath.

Afterall, as things stand....... SEGA Game Gear>>>> PSV.

PSV will surpass SEGA Game Gear sales of course (sony's financial and advertising power), but it's still going to finish a country mile away from the 3DS.

You can also get Game Gear games on the 3DS eshop.  I believe Sega is on the verge of dumping a bunch of titles on the eshop soon.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Ronster316 said:

Would rather not have the SEGA Game Gear and PSV mentioned in the same breath.

Afterall, as things stand....... SEGA Game Gear>>>> PSV.

PSV will surpass SEGA Game Gear sales of course (sony's financial and advertising power), but it's still going to finish a country mile away from the 3DS.

You can also get Game Gear games on the 3DS eshop.  I believe Sega is on the verge of dumping a bunch of titles on the eshop soon.

Yeah, loving the Game Gear blitz that has been happening on the 3DS eShop lately.

I have bought....... Shinobi GG, Sonic The Hedgehog 1&2 (Sonic 2's not that great, Sonic 1 however is as good if not better than the Megadrive version) Vampire: Master of Darkness, Sonic Triple Trouble (Very good Sonic game) Sonic Blast (VERY BAD Sonic game)

Next purchase will be Tails Adventure, and looking forward to more Game Gear games in the future.

I know they are Megadrive games...... but the soon to be released 3D versions of Streets of Rage & Shinobi III: Return of The Ninja Master have me excited too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Nintendo_3DS_%28PAL_region%29

kupomogli said:
MohammadBadir said:

in my many years in the Nintendo fandom, i have never seen a Nintendo fan use that as a point against the PSP :P

You need to take those goggles off then, because other than being a port machine, the battery life and only having one analog were the next two best reasons to bash on the PSP.  Coincidentally what two problems does the 3DS have?  Nintendo fans are okay with Nintendo portables and consoles having problems though.

PSP sold well because it was a pirates dream, you could get all the PSP games + you could use it as an emulator for consoles (wild guess, 90% used it for NES/SNES/GBA emu-wise)

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

Bajablo said:
kupomogli said:
MohammadBadir said:

in my many years in the Nintendo fandom, i have never seen a Nintendo fan use that as a point against the PSP :P

You need to take those goggles off then, because other than being a port machine, the battery life and only having one analog were the next two best reasons to bash on the PSP.  Coincidentally what two problems does the 3DS have?  Nintendo fans are okay with Nintendo portables and consoles having problems though.

PSP sold well because it was a pirates dream, you could get all the PSP games + you could use it as an emulator for consoles (wild guess, 90% used it for NES/SNES/GBA emu-wise)

NDS sold well because it was a pirates dream, you could get all the DS games + GBA games. The downloads were very small, so you could copy hundreds of DS-games on the R4 card, not only a few GB-sized PSP games on the Memory Stick Duo. ;)

Conina said:
Bajablo said:
kupomogli said:
MohammadBadir said:

NDS sold well because it was a pirates dream, you could get all the DS games + GBA games. The downloads were very small, so you could copy hundreds of DS-games on the R4 card, not only a few GB-sized PSP games on the Memory Stick Duo. ;)

Yeah :) those were neat little machines. the PSP could emulate more though, since it had some more horsepower.
There wasn't realy any emulation going on with the R4 as far as i know, was just tricking the system that you had a cart with ROM X on it.
hence why you could 'do more' on the PSP.

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

kupomogli said:

It's a kart racer and other than Crash and Chocobo Racing, kart racing games really aren't very good.

If that´s the case why even bother with my comment about the PSV version of Modnation Racers to begin with or is this game an exception and actually a good one in your opinion? 

Also you have to consider that even Mario Kart DS from 2005 on DSphat had online-modi for racing-mode and battle-mode and Nintendo really hasn´t the reputation for shoehorning online into anything.