By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 most overrated games of all time

Anfebious said:
Twilight Princess overrated?... Yeah... Right...

95 on metacritic.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
morenoingrato said:

- Xenoblade: Yeah, I said it.

- Ocarina Of Time: It was good for its time, but the mechanics are dated and inconsistent, Twilight Princess is superior in every way.

- Rayman Origins: What's the point of being so pretty when the level design is so boring?

- GTA: San Andreas: Never got the appeal. I think that out of my group of friends, I was the only one who didn't enjoy it one bit.

- Assassin's Creed II: It's the same over and over. It's just simply not fun.

- Super Smash Bros Melee: I genuinely enjoyed Brawl a lot more. Maybe it was less competitive, but it was a more enjoyable product and had much more content. I'm not sure why Melee is held in a pedestal.

Edit:

How could I forget The Walking Dead? I hardly consider it a game. The story is passable at best (takes a nosedive after Episode 3) and it is slow and boring to play. Seriously, if the industry starts following that model gaming is over for me.

While I massively disagree on GTA SA and AC II, I have to strongly agree with you on The Walking Dead and I'm worried that it is so praised. The game is just not very fun to play at all and I am really concerned about games that disregard gameplay for story. Heavy Rain just about got away with it, because your choices did actually matter. None of your choices really mattered in the Walking Dead, because everything ended the same way. I knew that I couldn't actually make any signification decisions and that really destroyed any sort of tension or interest. It was just tedious to play. If there wasn't a platinum for just finishing the game, I might well have stopped much earlier

As for the actual OP, a few I disagree on, a few I agree on.

GTA IV is a great game and I while many simply don't like the overal GTA structure, there are so many good things in there it discounts the problems. I also don't understand the glitches point, it seems to be all the OP has to say and I really didn't have any problem with them, in some ways the odd behaviour that you often find in open world games kind of adds to them, makes them more intreesting. GTA IV is not a 98/100 game, but it was amazing at the time and is probably more of a 90 game. Overrated, but not MASSIVELY over-rated

I've always wondered if I just didn't get Skyrim. So many things about that game just don't work, but people keep playing it. The combat is just bad, and everyone looks like they are dead when they are talking to you. So much of that game was just meh. I kind of enjoyed it, but didn't think it was anything really special and the whole world just felt so pointless. Sure there was plenty of life about it, but the quests were mostly dull and the dungeons weren't that great either. I just don't think I love entirely open world games with no decent central plot thrust. But most importantly, the combat is really bad.

I would say I don't have hugely strong opinions on the others. I thought FF VII was a very good game but not the best game ever and CoD MW2 was definitely worse than 4, but I didn't think there was any doubting that. But its not clearly a flaimbait list, so better than usual  I guess

AZWification said:
Anfebious said:

95 on metacritic.

It is the perfect score for the game. Twilight Princess is excellent. Overrated is GTA 4 I can agree with that but TP? No sir.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Of course there have been much better games released and some games don't hold the test of time. But the review scores everyone uses to base these list on were done when the games are released....not in 2013. To judge them today and say they are overrated 17 years later defies logic.

Anfebious said:
AZWification said:
Anfebious said:

95 on metacritic.

It is the perfect score for the game. Twilight Princess is excellent. Overrated is GTA 4 I can agree with that but TP? No sir.

I can live with that.

Around the Network

The most overrated game of all time is Angry Birds!

Where is the hugely overrated Okami that sucked ass. Horrible gameplay + horrible pacing, made it a bad game. Is there even anything positive to say about it?
Then we have what forum people really love! Eternal Darkness. Same problem as Okami with gameplay, except it sucks even more.

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

AlphaCielago said:
Where is the hugely overrated Okami that sucked ass. Horrible gameplay + horrible pacing, made it a bad game. Is there even anything positive to say about it?
Then we have what forum people really love! Eternal Darkness. Same problem as Okami with gameplay, except it sucks even more.

Okami sucked ass? Since when?

AZWification said:
AlphaCielago said:

Okami sucked ass? Since when?

Since it released? It's unfortunate too since I heard so many good things about it too. But it was just an unplayable mess and it didn't help that when I took a small break, the game wasn't something I could get into again. The story was also meh. 

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

I mentioned a few before but there's also the Persona series. No idea what's so great about them.

Nintendo and PC gamer