By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Might Activision be in more serious trouble now than we thought?

If they didn't already learn their lesson of milking with Tony Hawk's and Guitar Hero, then I think that they won't stop yearly releases.

Around the Network
Otakumegane said:

According to the pre-order charts, Ghosts is tracking behind BO2 and Skylanders is losing ground up against Disney Infinity. (It's just a matter of time)

Now that I think about it, Activision's only two major revenue sources were those considering that they killed all the rest like Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, etc. It seems that they need Destiny being a huge success.

So if Destiny underperforms or loses the shooter war against Titanfall or something they might be in a bit of a bind, right after they became independent from Vivendi too.

Can you change "position" to "trouble" in your subject?  It is a bit unclear what you are askling.  It is possible everyone is in more serious trouble than everyone is thinking here.

Otakumegane said:

According to the pre-order charts, Ghosts is tracking behind BO2 and Skylanders is losing ground up against Disney Infinity. (It's just a matter of time)

Now that I think about it, Activision's only two major revenue sources were those considering that they killed all the rest like Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, etc. It seems that they need Destiny being a huge success.

So if Destiny underperforms or loses the shooter war against Titanfall or something they might be in a bit of a bind, right after they became independent from Vivendi too.

When you say "we thought", who are you referring to?

I have faith in Destiny. It will perform to its expectations. That doesn't mean I like Activision though.

They have the remnants of Infinity Ward, Treyarch and Bungie and they still make licensed games. No, they are not in trouble.

Around the Network

"from the publishers of Call of Duty and creators of halo"

that alone will sell destiny

They could probably bleed money for the next 3 years (which would never happen anyway) and make it all back 10 fold when the next Blizzard MMO releases. They are in no danger at all.

I always find these kind of posts funny.

If someone makes 1billion profit one year and then makes 990million the next doesn't mean it is doom and gloom.

They would need a lot of failures to get to a bad situation.

DevilRising said:
Putting out yearly iterations of the same series can only be sustainable for so long. Just ask Guitar Hero.

With Guitar Hero they went too far, launching 2 and then even 4 games a year (2009 saw GuitarHero V, Van Halen, Metallica and Smash Hits). And so far they have been smart enough to avoid doing that. With the DLCs they have had enough.

The problem I see with Activision is that from all the new games/IPs they have created this gen, only Skylanders has been a success. They need to find new, successful games/IPs.

Will Destiny be it? Maybe, but I think that they need more than 1 new franchise to be safe.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Ghosts will sell 20 Million.

Warcraft continues to make stupid amounts of money.

Activision are/will be fine.