By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - MGS4 Doesn't need 1m day one sales--Payton misquoted

good cause one million copies of any game sold would must likley be profitable. it may be even less i just cant think that if a game does not hit 1 million it does not help the deveoplers cause most games do NOT reach 1 million and companies post profits a lot more then they close down the doors.

Around the Network

I thought that was a strange thing to say when it came out. Never did make much sense.

IMO

it can EASILY sell 1 million in 1 day IF its released worldwide at the SAME time

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

ChronotriggerJM said:
I'm not sure how often this guy reads online chat's and such guys :P It's not exactly printed press news here xD.

No, but damn if it wasn't on every gaming blog and MGS4 related board...

Makes me think development teams should hire a guy to lurk around boards and blogs to check on the feedback their game is getting...I'm pretty surprised if they don't do that to some degree.  I mean...Kotaku's pretty much the biggest gaming blog now...wouldn't be that hard to check it once a day.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

@Ben,

No joke! Forums and blogs are an easily accessible and free form of hype for a game. All they have to do is throw us a bone every now and then if the game is decent it would probably do wonders for them.

As for the "bone" it could be something as simple as taking 20 or 30 screenshots and posting 2 or 3 different shots at 10 different sites so that they each get some exclusive content along with a quick blurb about the game and the concept.  If we had devs post that kind of stuff here I'm almost certain it would take off with huge results.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
dabaus513 said:
I already started a thread about this but its dead. Anyways i checked to see how much assasins creed has sold and its about 2 million (ps3) so if assasins creed (emphasis on ASS can at least reach a million i have no doubt mgs4 will at least reach a million.

I started a thread almost 9 hours before you did.  Hell, it's still on the first page. :P

My middle of the night threads always die a quick death. ^^ 

OT:  I think MGS4 will sell at least 3 mil. lifetime, and probably more like 4-5 mil. 

This is among this years few PS3 titles that I believe can sell 1 million in a single day. That'd be just great!

dabaus513 said:
I already started a thread about this but its dead. Anyways i checked to see how much assasins creed has sold and its about 2 million (ps3) so if assasins creed (emphasis on ASS can at least reach a million i have no doubt mgs4 will at least reach a million.

It all depends development bugdet.

My guess is that on a 60$ game the developer gets back 30$ ( I've seen Bestbuy drop prices of games by 20$ on a given week so they make more than that as a margin and 50% is typical for retailers) if he was the distributor too, less if another company is the distributor like for Square having Ubisoft distributes their game in EU.

Out of those 30$ they probably have to give around 10$ to Sony which leaves them with 20$.

Packaging and shipping probably comes out to 1 to 2$ a game ( depends size of manual, art and so on but seems reasonnable).

So we're down to 18$/game.

1 Million copy is 18 Million $ that seems more than enough to cover development costs of most games but once again it depends the size of the development team and the duration of said development. It depends heavilly too on the marketing budget, I know for movies it's not uncommon to have a marketing budget that can be as much as 50% of the movie cost.( 100 Million $ to make the movie, 50 Million $ for marketing..).

Typical US software developers cost around 120-150k a year for software companies ( I should know that I work in Software, that includes building, benefits, HR and so on), it's probably a LOT less in the game development business if my understanding is correct. But still probably around 80k/year cost for a US developer doesn't seem wrong ( seems low actually but a lot of games companies use entry level developers that they exploit for a lot of the tasks and their low cost offsets the salary of experienced older developers and producers).

50 developers/year = 4 Million $ a year...

So lets say it takes you 2 full years to develop your game with an average of 50 developers/year ( less at start, more at the end with QA and stuff) you have around 8 Million $ development costs.

Add 4 Million marketing budget ( really a wild guess but doesn't seem unreasonnable) and you're up to 12 Million $ development/marketing costs.

So with 1 million sales if you are the distributor you come out making a decent 6 Million $ profit ( 50% ROI which is good).

Much less if someone else is distributing your game but I have no clue what is the cut of the distributor...

Of course if you take 3 years to develop your game and are up to 100 persons involved the third year like for some of the big budgets games then you are up to  16 Million $ development costs, and usually much bigger marketing costs ( adds on TV aren't cheap) so it can add to 25 Million $ or more ( I woudn't be surprised if a game like Assassin Creed costed over 30 Million $, maybe as much as 50 Million $ with development and marketing costs, but they still made a nice profit and the costs of the later game in the serie will be much lower and that is when Ubisoft will farm the cash).

PS : I didn't factor distribution costs as I have no clue what they are but the fact that you distribute your own games doesn't mean you won't have costs associated to that or everyone would do it lol :P

One thing to notice is that when you are up to 100 persons working on the game at the end, every month of delays costs you close to 1 Million $ as you have to pay those developers as well as keep the buzz about the game going ( marketing..)

All that said and done I doubt 1 million total sales will be enough to cover the development/marketing costs of MGS4 ( although in that case I am willing to bet Sony will shoulder a lot of marketing costs due to it being an exclusive). I'm guessing it will take  Konami 2 million sales to recoup their costs and more to make a profit...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Darc Requiem said:
It took him this long to address himself being misquoted? How many months has it been? I am inclined to agree with ClaudeLv250.

Payton denied it weeks ago, if you listened to his podcast you would know that. Regardless, i'm sure MGS4 will sell more than a million first day, all territories combined.

well that was long enough

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"