By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft Xbox one is this really the best launch lineup ever

Honestly? I feel the Vita had a better launch lineup. It may not be doing well, but it's first year was kind of awesome. It had an uncharted game, a resistance game, a LittlebigPlanet game, an Assassin's Creed game, a Call of Duty game, and an original IP in Gravity Rush, as well as somewht smaller games like Wipeout, unit 13, and a tonne of multiplatform games and indie exclusives.

Of course, we're just going by brand recognition and genres. Some of those may have turned out not so good or not so popular (Resistance and Call of Duty were both destroyed critically, and few of those games sold well), but if we were going by brand recognition and the strength of what was advertised, remember:

Exclusive entries in the following franchises in its first year:

1 - Assassin's Creed
2 - Call of Duty
3 - LittleBigPlanet
4 - Lumines
5 - ModNation Racers
6 - Resistance
7 - Uncharted
8 - Wipeout

4 of those were HUUUUUGE (Assassin's Creed and Call of duty are best-selling franchises on consoles, and LittleBigPlanet and Uncharted are two of the best reviewed franchises this generation), and even Resistance is no slouch in the sales or critical acclaim categories and Wipeout and Lumines have been consistently well-reviewed. even ModNation Racers was no slouch. this is a LOT of 'potential'. Just because they were universally considered 'not as good as their console counterparts', it doesn't mean they were bad. keep in mind, this is all perceived quality, determined before release (much like what we're doing with the Xbone lineup)

Then we also had the following new IP's being made for the console:

1 - Gravity Rush
2 - Ragnarok Odyssey
3 - Unit 13
4 - Smart As

An open world superhero game (likened to inFamous), a monster hunting game (likened to Monster Hunter), and a tactical third person shooter (Can be seen as a blend of Gears of War and Metal Gear solid). Smart As could be considered Playstation's own Brain Age.

and HOW many games were released on the system in its first year that were faithful ports or, even better, enhanced ports?

1 - Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
2 - MLB 12: The Show
3 - Mortal Kombat
4 - Need for Speed most Wanted
5 - PErsona 4 Golden
6 - Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
7 - Rayman Origins
8 - Sly Cooper: thieves in Time

Not a bad list at all. I'm not even getting into the indies like Sound shapes and Super Stardust Delta (both are games you NEED to get).

Point is, at this point we can't say the Xbone has the best launch lineup, nor does it have the most solid first year. The games aren't out yet, and I'm sorry but I have little faith in what they've shown us. Dead Rising is fun, but the last two entries were glitchy messes and I doubt this will be any different. Given the dev team behind it and the previews thus far, Ryse sounds like it's an exercise in style over substance. crimson Dragon is not something we can judge yet so I'm not sold nor turned off by it. Killer Instinct's game plan is terrible and Rare has nothing to do with it so I don't care. TitanFall could have been great, but the lack of a singleplayer campaign makes me hate it by default (same with Dust 514). sunset Overdrive has an always-online requirement due to it being a persistent online world, and Insomniac's latest was terrible (Fuse...In fact, if it's not Ratchet and Clank, I don't care about anything concerning insomniac).

I just don't think the Xbone's current exclusive lineup is ANYTHING SPECIAL AT ALL. titanFall is on PC, as well, by the way. I'll get it there if I get it at all. wait, no..it's EA. Fuck Origin. The only game that I feel has the pedigree to really be great on the Xbone is Forza 5....which doesn't appeal to me personally. I still figure it'll be an outstanding game. that's really the only thing the system has going for it right now...and go figure, it's one of Microsoft's big three.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Both line ups are weak, I won't be getting either console till about a year or so after release

CGI-Quality said:
Nah, it's not even close. I would argue that the PS1, Dreamcast, and N64 all had better launches.

What?????

PS1: Launched with a Doom port, and ... um, Ridge Racer!!! That's it really.

Dreamcast: Ok this was not too bad you had Sonic Adventure, and Soul Calibur (a mediocre fighter which is about the same in quality as Killer Instinct really). Aside from that, .... um, Marvel vs. Capcom? So a Sonic and two bland fighters ... not awful I guess.

N64: Come on ... really? Two games is a better launch? Pilotwings ... meh ok decent. Mario 64 is an enduring classic, but it is still just one game that can be beaten even at a casual pace in a week or so with full 120 stars.

I'm not saying Xbox One launch is mindblowing, but is probably the best we have seen from MS so far. Original Xbox had Halo 1 ( great, but see Mario 64) and Dead or Alive 3 and that's about it. 360 had a bland Perfect Dark prequel and Condemned Criminal Origins (good but just one game).

So good that people are flocking to pre-order the console over the competition.

come on, launches typically usually have one 'great' game, some middlng/mediocre games, and a lot of trash.

Xbone has Forza as its great game
PS4 has Killzone as its great game
WiiU had...well, Mario, in theory

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

I'll wait for Zoo Tycoon 2 for when I decide to buy an Xbox One. I hear sequels are pretty good.