By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Namco Bandai blames Wii for arcade closures

Though the arcade scene in America has been dead for quite some time, Japan has still been a home to many popular arcades. At least, it has up until now. Arcade firm Namco Bandai has announced plans to close between 50 and 60 of its arcade locations across the country, citing the expanding home console market as a big part of the problem.

Specifically, company spokesman Yuji Machida blames the Nintendo Wii, stating that strong holiday sales for the console mean a lot of kids have spent their time at home playing, and spent their money on more Wii software and hardware, such as the popular Wii Fit package.

Of course, home consoles certainly aren't the only cause. Machida also cites rising gas prices as a concern, as families become less willing to travel back and forth from shopping malls, where arcades are normally located. The 50-60 arcades closing account for one-fifth of Namco Bandai's arcades in Japan. A big loss, to be sure.

source: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/07/namco-bandai-blames-wii-for-arcade-closures/ 

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Around the Network

it's like people blame Halo3 for not going to the theater and watch their crappy movies.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

...shouldn't he be blaming the DS instead? Like everyone in Japan has one.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

In my country Arcade are still pretty popular, we have one arcade center in every big mall, I really enjoyed the Street Fighter games era, sadly the only arcade machines you see very crowded right now are the Dancing ones.., I am too old for that

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

I would say its a combination of DS and Wii that's killing the arcades. IMO, who cares. Buy a Wii and be happy.

Around the Network

I have not been to an arcade in a long time.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

They blame Wii Fit.

Well Arcades have been dead in the US for 14 years since Street Fighter II and all other popular Arcade games started being ported to SNES.

I blame people who have no lives and never leave the house.

You just don't get the same fun playing games at home than on an arcade machine

It was nice beating strangers on the arcades... Those were nice days