By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Confirms Voice Recognition

FatedReality said:
JoeTheBro said:
FatedReality said:

These features still wont do anything for the camera which is already to late to save. Sony hasn't really made an appealing case as to why people should actually purchase the camera other then it tracking the controller and now having voice recognition. Which is not worth the $60 price tag.

The camera has actually been doing pretty good on amazon.

Also I'm really sure Sony talked about this in Feb. but just like drm no one listened.

Are you talking about PS4 bundles with the camera or just the camera selling well on Amazon becuase I would be surprised if the camera was selling at all let alone selling "good" on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=sv_vg_11?tag=viglink129408-20#5

Camera all by itself. It's actually never dipped below the xbox one controller. Also you can see that it's pretty close to the DS4. During the E3 OMG Sony's back to king thoughts, it was even outpacing every xbox one game and most PS4 games.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Legend11 said:
I have a feeling this will be like comparing PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (has a score of 74 on Metacritic and sales of 0.55 million) to Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Metacritic score of 93 and sales of 11.77 million) as in it's Sony's answer to the competition but it will be completely outclassed.

You have to remember that voice commands are a fundamental part of Xbox One and since Kinect is included with every system that feature will be seeing constant improvements and upgrades as the system matures. Kinect and its features have far more importance to Microsoft than the camera has to Sony (they didn't even think it was worth putting it in with the system) which is a pretty good indication of the amount of resources each will be putting into the feature.

How easily most forget, the PSEye will be $59.99, which means Sony strategically did not make the camera as powerful as it could because that is not what is needed for proper recognition. Its just low enough to enough to bundle it with the Move to have the ultimate next generation bundle for peripheral based games at $100 (watch and see). Sonys devices can already do leagues more than Microsoft's Kinect can, its just that nobody knows it unless its publicized greatly. This is Sony's only major flaw outside a lack of third party and first party support for the Move. Microsoft cannot outclass them when their objective was to make the best peripheral for gaming. They were way ahead of the Kinect and already know its drawbacks. The Kinect will remain in mini-game development hell (basically every game is on rails) unless MS copies Sony. The last PS Eye for the PS3 could recognize voices as well, its just that paid third parties to focus solely on their item for brand marketing.

So the PSEye has full body skeletal tracking, identity recognition, and can work in a pitch black room?  Come on son lets get real here, ff PSEye was better it wouldn't need the PS4 controller to have that ridiculous colored light bar on the front of it for example.  Kinect 2.0 can track the Xbox One controller without needing that.  It can track which parts of your body have pressure on them and can monitor your heart rate from across a room.  It can track your eyes and determine if you're distracted with something else.  It's really in another league when it comes to the technology and software packed into it.

Once Kinect 2.0's software and features are fully matured on Xbox One there will be no going back as we'll become so used to what it has to offer.  While Playstation 4 does push the envelope for graphics it's the Xbox One much like the Xbox 360 that will be the system that will bring the fundamental changes to gaming.  Indies which Sony can't talk enough about, well you can thank Xbox 360 for being the system that introduced them to consoles.  DLC, apps, XBLA, achievements, PC/Console multiplatform releases, etc, that's all thanks to 360 and the Xbox One will continue that fine tradition of bringing new things to console gaming.

You've just proven my point. Theres no need for all of that skeletal, sweat and gential tracking. Sony found this out after the first Eyetoy, when it comes to gaming with a peripheral device you must be able to exist in the 3D world and control or manipulate it. The Kinect can do neither as powerful as it is. I used the Eyetoy six years before the Kinect came out and even I knew of the drawbacks the Kinect had before it came out.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Legend11 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Legend11 said:
I have a feeling this will be like comparing PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (has a score of 74 on Metacritic and sales of 0.55 million) to Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Metacritic score of 93 and sales of 11.77 million) as in it's Sony's answer to the competition but it will be completely outclassed.

You have to remember that voice commands are a fundamental part of Xbox One and since Kinect is included with every system that feature will be seeing constant improvements and upgrades as the system matures. Kinect and its features have far more importance to Microsoft than the camera has to Sony (they didn't even think it was worth putting it in with the system) which is a pretty good indication of the amount of resources each will be putting into the feature.

How easily most forget, the PSEye will be $59.99, which means Sony strategically did not make the camera as powerful as it could because that is not what is needed for proper recognition. Its just low enough to enough to bundle it with the Move to have the ultimate next generation bundle for peripheral based games at $100 (watch and see). Sonys devices can already do leagues more than Microsoft's Kinect can, its just that nobody knows it unless its publicized greatly. This is Sony's only major flaw outside a lack of third party and first party support for the Move. Microsoft cannot outclass them when their objective was to make the best peripheral for gaming. They were way ahead of the Kinect and already know its drawbacks. The Kinect will remain in mini-game development hell (basically every game is on rails) unless MS copies Sony. The last PS Eye for the PS3 could recognize voices as well, its just that paid third parties to focus solely on their item for brand marketing.

So the PSEye has full body skeletal tracking, identity recognition, and can work in a pitch black room?  Come on son lets get real here, ff PSEye was better it wouldn't need the PS4 controller to have that ridiculous colored light bar on the front of it for example.  Kinect 2.0 can track the Xbox One controller without needing that.  It can track which parts of your body have pressure on them and can monitor your heart rate from across a room.  It can track your eyes and determine if you're distracted with something else.  It's really in another league when it comes to the technology and software packed into it.

Once Kinect 2.0's software and features are fully matured on Xbox One there will be no going back as we'll become so used to what it has to offer.  While Playstation 4 does push the envelope for graphics it's the Xbox One much like the Xbox 360 that will be the system that will bring the fundamental changes to gaming.  Indies which Sony can't talk enough about, well you can thank Xbox 360 for being the system that introduced them to consoles.  DLC, apps, XBLA, achievements, PC/Console multiplatform releases, etc, that's all thanks to 360 and the Xbox One will continue that fine tradition of bringing new things to console gaming.

You've just proven my point. Theres no need for all of that skeletal, sweat and gential tracking. Sony found this out after the first Eyetoy, when it comes to gaming with a peripheral device you must be able to exist in the 3D world and control or manipulate it. The Kinect can do neither as powerful as it is. I used the Eyetoy six years before the Kinect came out and even I knew of the drawbacks the Kinect had before it came out.

I think the sales of "games" like Dance Central and Just Dance and all the fitness apps shows there's a market out there for that. But it's not hardcore gamez, oh noes!

ironmanDX said:
Legend11 said:

Agreed. They should have shipped the camera with the console and just had slower sales to begin with. It could be a success but if they've only confirmed voice recognition now, it's no where near in the league of Kinect 2.0. This could very well be Move 2.0 instead.

And you know this how?

Legend11 said:

You should not underestimate Sony's research about voice recognition. That's from 2009 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TaUsSy-f0Y

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
riderz13371 said:
JWeinCom said:
DAMN YOU SONY YOU THIEVING SONS OF BITCHES!!!

I know you're kidding but damn, I've never seen you this aggressive before!

In general, not a whole lot to be aggressive about on a video game forum.

unless its sales. sales are super serial

bananaking21 said:
JWeinCom said:
riderz13371 said:
JWeinCom said:
DAMN YOU SONY YOU THIEVING SONS OF BITCHES!!!

I know you're kidding but damn, I've never seen you this aggressive before!

In general, not a whole lot to be aggressive about on a video game forum.

unless its sales. sales are super serial

When people insult the Wii U and Vita, baby Jesus cries.

Legend11 said:

LMAO, whatever makes you sleep at night.     Voice commands are hardly a new thing. It is not hard to implement, it will work fine.

Why did you throw in that dig about all-stars? Irrelevant, and sales <> quality or better.

OdinHades said:
Every 99 $ smartphone has voice recognition. There's no magic behind it.

This, it is a gimmick for both systems anyway......Could care less. But the xbox fans already arguing kinects will be better with zero proof behind it sure is pathetic. Voice is voice, it has been around for years, it is easy to implement.

Kane1389 said:

And you know this how?

They don't, of course. It's an automatic assumption because it's what they hope to be true. Because if it turns out that Sony is offering a comparable device that would only add $60 to the price of the PlayStation 4, which would still make it cheaper than the Xbox One, then that damages their ability to justify the added cost of their own preferred platform. Especially now that more recent articles are pointing out that the Kinect is actually not 1-to-1 for reflecting player movement in the game like Microsoft originally claimed. It means that now the ability for people to choose whether or not they want the camera is not as simple as, "I'm okay with the Kinect being a required purchase and the Camera not being one because the Kinect does more and much better". That claim is turning out to be further from the truth than some suspected.

It's also because of the money that went into the Kinect that they believe it to be so much better. However, they need only look to the over 100 million dollars spent designing the new controller, adding very little in the process, to see that Microsoft can blow a lot of money for marginal improvements and even what some would consider to be small steps back based on some feedback of how the controller actually feels. Mind you, I'm not bashing Xbox One fans. They have plenty of reasons to be satisfied with their future purchase. I just hate watching people deceive themselves to justify something when they don't have to because that usually requires them to directly or indirectly bash the competition and its fans.

As far as core games go, the Kinect really never added anything more to the experience than voice commands. Some third party games, like Mass Effect, used this from time to time. The Kinect 2.0 is looking like it will be in the same boat for core games. The difference now is, where something like that was only available to Xbox fans, now Sony fans can toss out the extra cash if they want something like that for their version of the game. Even though the PS4 does not come bundled with such a device, it is still an option and the XOne does have that in every box. So I find it very likely that any third-party developers who create multiplatform games with voice commands will make that possible for both platforms. In a way, Microsoft putting the Kinect in every box could very well have the effect of helping Sony sell more of its Camera now that voice commands are confirmed.