By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Two companies unveil DDR4 RAM Sticks

CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
CGI-Quality said:

It will be an improvement. The source(s) hint at it. Besides, I never see anything wrong with grabbing more power than you need, as if it makes one happy, go with it. It will be there when you need it, and trust me, if you push your systems like I push mine, you can never have too much.

There are many articles posted on various different showcasing memory performance differences. For example this one -  http://www.anandtech.com/show/6372/memory-performance-16gb-ddr31333-to-ddr32400-on-ivy-bridge-igp-with-gskill/14

Difference between 2133 mhz and 2400 mhz in gaming on an ivy bridge i7 tends to be about 1-2% if any. Difference between 1600 and 2133 is 5-15%...One is a worthwhile investment while other is a diminishing return.

Rendering comparison is even worse as there is absolutely no difference in cinebench performance between 2133 and 2400.

And for the record, every system I've had I've overclocked, some quite massively with tripple rad watercooling... If there was performance to be gained by getting faster CPU RAM, I am all for it...but on an Intel platform there really isnt. If they give DDR4 support to AMD FX or APU series boards...or even figure out how to keep them stable with 2800+ DDR3 RAM...then you will see some nice performance benefits.

My guess is that this DDR4 push is strictly for the purpose of making larget ram sticks running at lower voltages...aka rendering farms and server usage.

As of today, you'll see little gain with DDR4 vs DRR3, but then, I don't build for right now. I've only ever upgraded the way I do recently.

You've seen the expected IB-E benchamrks, and you know know what to expect...DDR4 will not benefit it.

Are you saying that you will get DDR4 RAM now and then re-use it in 3 years when Intel releases the next high end platform and you decide to build another machine?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
landguy1 said:
faster is better, even if i don't need it. Need to build a new system next year anyway, maybe this won't cost 2 arms and a leg.

In my opinion, the best feeling when buuilding a rig comes from building (and paying) a system where eveyrthing is balanced and everything compliments the other components perfectly. Sure people can go out and get 1300W power supplys, 4 way SLi mobos and DDR4 RAM, but I would feel like a tool if I bought those components without an intention to utilize half of the features. Doesn't matter if its a little HTPC or an ubber high eng gaming rig, there is a perfect configuration for every purpose.

Knowing how little of a performance benefit IB-E is going to offer over current Sandy Bridge E CPUs, and the fact LGA 2011 supports tri channel memory, I really don't see any point for using CPU RAM faster than DDR3 2400 Mhz. With that said, maybe DDR4 will use a little less power, have more aggressive timings at same voltage/speed or be cheaper once it's mass produced. So it may be an improvement afterall...

It will be an improvement. The source(s) hint at it. Besides, I never see anything wrong with grabbing more power than you need, as if it makes one happy, go with it. It will be there when you need it, and trust me, if you push your systems like I push mine, you can never have too much.

With what do you push your system so much? It's with your developer work including grafix rendering, right? Not ordinary gaming.

CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
CGI-Quality said:

As of today, you'll see little gain with DDR4 vs DRR3, but then, I don't build for right now. I've only ever upgraded the way I do recently.

You've seen the expected IB-E benchamrks, and you know know what to expect...DDR4 will not benefit it.

Are you saying that you will get DDR4 RAM now and then re-use it in 3 years when Intel releases the next high end platform and you decide to build another machine?

Nah, I may skip IB-E altogether and go for Haswell. FAR greater benefit.

Haswell-E I'm guessing you're referring to... Hopefully its slightly more overclocking friendly than its little brother.

I would love to see intel release a chip that is overclockable and can benefit from things like DDR4 and true watercooling. As is, Haswell overclocks exactly the same on a low end mobo as it does on a 400 dollar mobo...with an H60 coller or a 300 dollar watercooling custom loop. This kind of kills all the fun I would have with Haswell.

As funny as it sounds, the only CPU that can benefit from DDR4 speeds, watercooling and overclocking in general today are AMD's FX and APUs.

CGI-Quality said:

Why not just jump to Broadwell? (or is that sort of the Haswell E?)

Sneaky secret Intel.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

sniper989 said:

r.i.p. ddr3

hail GDDR5 and DDR4!

It will also be RIP GDDR5, as GDDR6 is coming soon too!

Hail GDDR6 and DDR4 (and h.265 cause it's super cool new piece of tech too!)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Zappykins said:
CGI-Quality said:

Why not just jump to Broadwell? (or is that sort of the Haswell E?)

Sneaky secret Intel.

Broadwell isn't the successor to the IB-Es, but to the regular Haswell chips. That'd be a donwgrade from my 3907X

I thought it was supposed to be the Ivory Brige to the Haswel's Sandy Bridge.  I.e. the die shrink (with a few bits of tweaking.)

But you could skip them all and go to Skylake!  Well, if you want to wait that long. 

Tell me a funny joke!

CGI-Quality said:
Zappykins said:

It will also be RIP GDDR5, as GDDR6 is coming soon too!

Hail GDDR6 and DDR4 (and h.265 cause it's super cool new piece of tech too!)

GDDR6 is a little ways off, still. Something like Q2-3 2014 at the earliest. Besides, it will only benefit graphics cards.

Sigh, but that's like an entire year away! I get like Violet in Willly Wanka - I want new Tech and I want it NAOOO!

But still H.265 is a mighty cool upgrade for streaming. 

Tell me a funny joke!

CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
CGI-Quality said:

IB-E supports DDR4. It's mostly a processor thing, as long as the mobo supports the processor (who, in turn, supports the mem type), you should be able to pick these up. Samsung's doesn't release till mid 2014, but I imagine G.Skill's will be the first and the IB-E will be the first CPU to support it!

Out of curiosity, why do you need DDR4? Fast quad channel DDR3 will saisfy every rendering need you may have for the next 5 years.

And in terms of gaming, only platform that benefits from faster RAM after 2133 is AMD, since they are memory bottlenecked. 

No need, just a desire. Won't be building another machine until, at least, Volta, so this will be a nice little perk.

Your second sentence is news to me, though. 

Yer I been planning to build a gaming rig when the Volta comes out. ATM just got a shitty laptop but that is fine for now as just been organising my adult life into some logical order haha.

On a side note, how will old games perform with DDR4? i.e. where they programmed in a way to work with DDR3 architecture or ram type doesn't really matter too much?

CGI-Quality said:
Zappykins said:

I thought it was supposed to be the Ivory Brige to the Haswel's Sandy Bridge.  I.e. the die shrink (with a few bits of tweaking.)

But you could skip them all and go to Skylake!  Well, if you want to wait that long. 

Nope. It's the optical shrink of the regular Haswell chips. There won't be a Haswell Sandy Bridge.

Anyway, what I'm thinking I may do is grab the IB-E now, with DDR3 @ 2133 and then just upgrade to Haswell and DDR4 begfore 2014 holiday. Call it a rig till 2016 and the GTX Volta  series arrives.

:-/ You didn't really think I thought theere would be a haswell sandy brdige did you? 

Tell me a funny joke!

CGI-Quality said:
Cobretti2 said:
CGI-Quality said:

No need, just a desire. Won't be building another machine until, at least, Volta, so this will be a nice little perk.

Your second sentence is news to me, though. 

Yer I been planning to build a gaming rig when the Volta comes out. ATM just got a shitty laptop but that is fine for now as just been organising my adult life into some logical order haha.

On a side note, how will old games perform with DDR4? i.e. where they programmed in a way to work with DDR3 architecture or ram type doesn't really matter too much?

The bold is an excellent question. I can't imagine much of an impact, since games will look for the graphics card's GDDR5 before ever looking to system RAM (one of the reasons VRAM and its amount are so crucial).

did older games from say the 90s and early 00s also rely on video card ram or was their a bigger reliance on system ram?