By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Two companies unveil DDR4 RAM Sticks

!

Around the Network

r.i.p. ddr3

hail GDDR5 and DDR4!

I think this first batch of memory will be like the DDR2 to DDR3 transition... the DDR2 have better performance due the high clocks and low latencies... over the time the DDR4 will kick the asses of DDR3.

We need to wait motherboards/CPUs with support to these memories.

CGI-Quality said:

IB-E supports DDR4. It's mostly a processor thing, as long as the mobo supports the processor (who, in turn, supports the mem type), you should be able to pick these up. Samsung's doesn't release till mid 2014, but I imagine G.Skill's will be the first and the IB-E will be the first CPU to support it!

Thanks... so late this year the processor and 2014 the RAM.

CGI-Quality said:
ethomaz said:

I think this first batch of memory will be like the DDR2 to DDR3 transition... the DDR2 have better performance due the high clocks and low latencies... over the time the DDR4 will kick the asses of DDR3.

We need to wait motherboards/CPUs with support to these memories.

IB-E supports DDR4. It's mostly a processor thing, as long as the mobo supports the processor (who, in turn, supports the mem type), you should be able to pick these up. Samsung's doesn't release till mid 2014, but I imagine G.Skill's will be the first and the IB-E will be the first CPU to support it!

Out of curiosity, why do you need DDR4? Fast quad channel DDR3 will saisfy every rendering need you may have for the next 5 years.

And in terms of gaming, only platform that benefits from faster RAM after 2133 is AMD, since they are memory bottlenecked. 

Around the Network

faster is better, even if i don't need it. Need to build a new system next year anyway, maybe this won't cost 2 arms and a leg.

Consumer CPU's and thus by extension software, will see minimal performance benefits moving to DDR4.

The *big* boon however is to systems with Integrated Graphics, they're far more memory bandwidth sensitive.

Still, with that said and done, I'll be skipping Ivy-Bridge E due to it not being much better than my current CPU and instead going with Haswell-E 8-core and DDR4, my main concern though is that I won't be able to find high-capacity fast RAM sticks that colour matches my Case and Motherboard. :( #firstworldproblems

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I currently have 32gb of ddr3 ram so for me it will be so I can say I have 128gb of system ram booya.

landguy1 said:
faster is better, even if i don't need it. Need to build a new system next year anyway, maybe this won't cost 2 arms and a leg.

In my opinion, the best feeling when buuilding a rig comes from building (and paying) a system where eveyrthing is balanced and everything compliments the other components perfectly. Sure people can go out and get 1300W power supplys, 4 way SLi mobos and DDR4 RAM, but I would feel like a tool if I bought those components without an intention to utilize half of the features. Doesn't matter if its a little HTPC or an ubber high eng gaming rig, there is a perfect configuration for every purpose.

Knowing how little of a performance benefit IB-E is going to offer over current Sandy Bridge E CPUs, and the fact LGA 2011 supports tri channel memory, I really don't see any point for using CPU RAM faster than DDR3 2400 Mhz. With that said, maybe DDR4 will use a little less power, have more aggressive timings at same voltage/speed or be cheaper once it's mass produced. So it may be an improvement afterall...

CGI-Quality said:
disolitude said:
landguy1 said:

In my opinion, the best feeling when buuilding a rig comes from building (and paying) a system where eveyrthing is balanced and everything compliments the other components perfectly. Sure people can go out and get 1300W power supplys, 4 way SLi mobos and DDR4 RAM, but I would feel like a tool if I bought those components without an intention to utilize half of the features. Doesn't matter if its a little HTPC or an ubber high eng gaming rig, there is a perfect configuration for every purpose.

Knowing how little of a performance benefit IB-E is going to offer over current Sandy Bridge E CPUs, and the fact LGA 2011 supports tri channel memory, I really don't see any point for using CPU RAM faster than DDR3 2400 Mhz. With that said, maybe DDR4 will use a little less power, have more aggressive timings at same voltage/speed or be cheaper once it's mass produced. So it may be an improvement afterall...

It will be an improvement. The source(s) hint at it. Besides, I never see anything wrong with grabbing more power than you need, as if it makes one happy, go with it. It will be there when you need it, and trust me, if you push your systems like I push mine, you can never have too much.

There are many articles posted on various different showcasing memory performance differences. For example this one -  http://www.anandtech.com/show/6372/memory-performance-16gb-ddr31333-to-ddr32400-on-ivy-bridge-igp-with-gskill/14

Difference between 2133 mhz and 2400 mhz in gaming on an ivy bridge i7 tends to be about 1-2% if any. Difference between 1600 and 2133 is 5-15%...One is a worthwhile investment while other is a diminishing return.

Rendering comparison is even worse as there is absolutely no difference in cinebench performance between 2133 and 2400.

And for the record, every system I've had I've overclocked, some quite massively with tripple rad watercooling... If there was performance to be gained by getting faster CPU RAM, I am all for it...but on an Intel platform there really isnt. If they give DDR4 support to AMD FX or APU series boards...or even figure out how to keep them stable with 2800+ DDR3 RAM...then you will see some nice performance benefits.

My guess is that this DDR4 push is strictly for the purpose of making larget ram sticks running at lower voltages...aka rendering farms and server usage.