By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How many of you still have PS3 fats still running?

Tagged games:

Mine has lasted for 6 years now, runs great still

Around the Network

I still have my phat one but I had to replace the Laser twice.

still got my fat 60gig running strong!

PS3 160Gb Fat running average 3h daily or more since Aug 2009.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

attaboy said:
Mine died for no reason. I installed data from a game and that was all she wrote. It was an 80GB phat. It doesn't even power on. It's not even the YLoD. I power up the console, a red light comes on and then the console turns right off.

I got a slim but all of my movie purchases are gone forever. You can't re-download them once they are gone.

What! That is completly unacceptibale!  Both Xbox and Amazon allow you to get them again (and again, and again, etc. if you want.)  Amazon forever, and Xbox for as long as they still have them.  You buy the license to watch the film, not the actually movie.  You could also stream it if you prefer on Xbox or even switch back and forth. 

However, sounds like your power supplied died.  Have you tried taking out the hard drive?  I would hope the movies would still be fine on there.  Perhapse you can transfer them to your new system.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Only one of my friends has told me that his fat PS3 has stopped working and that was after owning it for 6 years. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Don't play PS3 when there's lightning outside and you have electrical lines in your backyard. R.I.P. my fat PS3 (March 2007-September 2010). Replaced it with a Slim 120GB PS3, that has worked well over the past three years, knock on wood.

Human contact, the final frontier.

Zappykins said:
attaboy said:
Mine died for no reason. I installed data from a game and that was all she wrote. It was an 80GB phat. It doesn't even power on. It's not even the YLoD. I power up the console, a red light comes on and then the console turns right off.

I got a slim but all of my movie purchases are gone forever. You can't re-download them once they are gone.

What! That is completly unacceptibale!  Both Xbox and Amazon allow you to get them again (and again, and again, etc. if you want.)  Amazon forever, and Xbox for as long as they still have them.  You buy the license to watch the film, not the actually movie.  You could also stream it if you prefer on Xbox or even switch back and forth. 

However, sounds like your power supplied died.  Have you tried taking out the hard drive?  I would hope the movies would still be fine on there.  Perhapse you can transfer them to your new system.

If I'm not mistaken, the PS3 will ask you to format the hard drive if you try to insert it into another PS3. And yeah it's true that you can't re-download your movie purchases. That sadly happened to me as well when my PS3 fat died.

I bought my 80GB PS3 in Oct. 2007, and it died like a month or two before the slim hit the market. Before it died, it would make a loud buzzing noise after 15 minutes of use, and after 45 minutes, it would sound like an airplane. One day, the noise went to full force, and my PS3 died.

Mirson said:
Zappykins said:
attaboy said:

If I'm not mistaken, the PS3 will ask you to format the hard drive if you try to insert it into another PS3. And yeah it's true that you can't re-download your movie purchases. That sadly happened to me as well when my PS3 fat died.

I bought my 80GB PS3 in Oct. 2007, and it died like a month or two before the slim hit the market. Before it died, it would make a loud buzzing noise after 15 minutes of use, and after 45 minutes, it would sound like an airplane. One day, the noise went to full force, and my PS3 died.

Hmm, Wonder if you could do a ghost/copy of the drive before?  But then that gets into all sorts of copy protected license issues.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Tell me a funny joke!

Thank you so much everyone that wrote in! I'm going to pass along, and probably help my friend. Wish me luck, my fear is that it will stop afterwards and he will blame me (yikes!).

If there is a particular brand of thermal paste that is recommends, please let me know.

Have a great day, and here are some gum drops in appreciation.

Tell me a funny joke!