By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U $50 price drop September 20th

Yakuzaice said:
JWeinCom said:

Generally speaking, when a company drops the price on an item, retailers get that money kicked back to them. 

That's the thing, the price isn't being dropped till Sept 20th.  So if it is $350 until then it will basically sell nothing.  On the other hand, if Nintendo is paying to let retailers cut the price early, then what is the point of waiting for the 20th.  Either way, it doesn't really make sense to announce this so far ahead of the cut.

It does seem like an awkward scenario, at least if you had an ambassador deal it'd not stall sales, but Ninendo always announce their price cuts like this. Dunno why, but they do.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

expecting a surge in sales during that period...though it will still have nothing on the PS4 or Xbox 1 in my opinion.

Nintendo:

Septemper 2012: WiiU doesn't need a price cut.

January 2013: WiiU doesn't need a price cut.

June 2013: WiiU doesn't need a price cut.

August 2013: WiiU doesn't need a price cut.

Later in August 2013: WiiU is getting a price cut.

This...is...I seriously don't know whether to be amused, confused, or just tired.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Mythmaker1 said:
Nintendo:

This...is...I seriously don't know whether to be amused, confused, or just tired.

nobody ever says a price cut is coming until a few weeks before it happens. No company in there right mind would announce a price cut 2+ months before it happens.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Mythmaker1 said:
Nintendo:

nobody ever says a price cut is coming until a few weeks before it happens. No company in there right mind would announce a price cut 2+ months before it happens.

That's not it. It's just that they've adamantly defended the price of their console for almost a year...and then this. They seriously should have waited at least another couple weeks so that Iwata's last defense of the price had time to settle. As it is, it's like Nintendo saw how much better Microsoft was doing after the "Xbox 180" and decided to do the exact same thing, right down to contradicting statements made mere weeks ago. Like a Wii U-Turn.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Around the Network

How much will it cost in the UK? Amazon currently sell 32gb Wii U's for £250, much cheaper than other shops.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Great news for me because now I will defiantly buy it this holiday.

I figured this would happen that's why i decided to wait.

Will there be some ambassador program for people that purchased it before the price cut?

Survivor Millennial vs Gen X!!

Mythmaker1 said:
zorg1000 said:
Mythmaker1 said:
Nintendo:

That's not it. It's just that they've adamantly defended the price of their console for almost a year...and then this. They seriously should have waited at least another couple weeks so that Iwata's last defense of the price had time to settle. As it is, it's like Nintendo saw how much better Microsoft was doing after the "Xbox 180" and decided to do the exact same thing, right down to contradicting statements made mere weeks ago. Like a Wii U-Turn.

Correct me if im wrong but werent most of those statement said during interviews?  What other answer could they use?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

TheLastStarFighter said:
Shit just got real.

good news thanks _crazy_