By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - USA HW Pre-Orders. PS4 600K, Xbox One 350K (VGC data)

Copy paste from what I wrote in the article.

Total PS4 software pre orders = 1,216,365
Total XBO software pre orders = 811,295.
PS4 above XBO by 405,070 or 50%.

Total top 5 PS4 software pre orders = 987,717.
Total top 5 XBO software pre orders = 590,382.
PS4 above XBO top 5 software pre orders by 397,335, or 67%.

PS4 hardware preorders increased 700% since E3.
XBO hardware preorders increased 677% since E3. Since the XBO 180, the gap between PS4 and XBO hardware preorder increased 4% in PS4 favor. This is USA only, Sony cant ask for more than that.

Around the Network

As much as I'd love to believe, I assuming this is just another case of VGChartz doing a complete fuck up job of tracking. If the One isn't winning NA, it's not winning anywhere, and I can't believe Microsoft would just left them have it like this.

RenCutypoison said:
Statistics Time !

FPS rate : PS4 : 61% X1 : 69% (=Total FPS preorders/Total Games preorders)
New IP rate : PS4 : 17% X1 : 31%
Exclusive rate : PS4 : 21% X1 : 33%

Ummm yeah, the only problem with those percentages is they translate it to no discernable advantage for the XB1 platform (I saw you stated the XB1's launch titles were the strongest of the two) as:

#1 they are based of a smaller install base and the ACTUAL numbers of the multiplatform games are all higher on the PS4.

#2 BF4 specifically shows over double the order rate and CoD being 10,000 higher on PS4 despite the XB1 having timed exclusivity for the DLC. Not to mention, historically those games sold better on the 360 over the PS3. These to me are more telling statistics than the percentages that merely break down what games/genres those who preordered a console purchased.

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

CGI-Quality said:
DietSoap said:
As much as I'd love to believe, I assuming this is just another case of VGChartz doing a complete fuck up job of tracking. If the One isn't winning NA, it's not winning anywhere, and I can't believe Microsoft would just left them have it like this.

Because MS can't control what's going to happen, especially not right now. What's done is done, and one of these machines is $100 cheaper, with much better market perception. Nearly a complete flip-flop of the PS3 vs 360.

They can control the price, for one. Drop the shitty Kinect garbage and sell it for $350, undercutting the PS4 by $50 in an attempt to justify the weaker hardware. Even Nintendo ended up dropping the Wii U price today despite all their insistence they wouldn't/it wouldn't be possible.

They have the money to take a serious loss, and if Pachter is to be believed (yeah, I know), they're already selling the $500 sku at a slight profit, so this wouldn't even be a serious loss. They can't afford to not be competitive right now.

Around the Network

Wtf how does this add up with the pre order chart

CGI-Quality said:

They're not dropping the price in time for launch

We'll see. I predicted they would drop the price and roll back the always online back in June back when everyone was saying they couldn't do either, and they at the very least ended up doing the later.

Short term business aside, if Microsoft doesn't cut the price before launch, it's dead. Really that simple.

Does VGCharts track pre-orders direct with Microsoft.com off the XBOX and through the Microsoft.com store? IF not then these pre-order numbers are likely way off. As an example 5 pre-orders for XBOX Ones for my family and my friends are all purchases directly off the XBOX360 console. Also, none of us are bothering pre-ordering any games as all can be purchased online at release and two of us can play a digital downloaded game at once rather than only one at a time with a retail disk game.

DietSoap said:
CGI-Quality said:

They're not dropping the price in time for launch

We'll see. I predicted they would drop the price and roll back the always online back in June back when everyone was saying they couldn't do either, and they at the very least ended up doing the later.

Short term business aside, if Microsoft doesn't cut the price before launch, it's dead. Really that simple.

For my family and friends getting the XBOX One the price is not a factor at all and not even in the discussions.  If we want the XBOX One or PS4 we just make it happen with little concern for the price difference.

-CraZed- said:
RenCutypoison said:
Statistics Time !

FPS rate : PS4 : 61% X1 : 69% (=Total FPS preorders/Total Games preorders)
New IP rate : PS4 : 17% X1 : 31%
Exclusive rate : PS4 : 21% X1 : 33%

Ummm yeah, the only problem with those percentages is they translate it to no discernable advantage for the XB1 platform (I saw you stated the XB1's launch titles were the strongest of the two) as:

#1 they are based of a smaller install base and the ACTUAL numbers of the multiplatform games are all higher on the PS4.

#2 BF4 specifically shows over double the order rate and CoD being 10,000 higher on PS4 despite the XB1 having timed exclusivity for the DLC. Not to mention, historically those games sold better on the 360 over the PS3. These to me are more telling statistics than the percentages that merely break down what games/genres those who preordered a console purchased.

These were troll statistics, of course, about subject of concerns. It was just to point out that this doesn't mean anything right now.

It has sense, tough, to look at ps4 and x1 separately.

What we can see here is : Launch new IP don't make people preorder -> New IP, historically, don't sell much FW, and have to be considered on the long run.

Wich means we will have to wait for knack and titanfalls review before knowing how they will sell on the long run.

- Even if people who preorders so soon are mostly core gamers, exclusives reprents nothing (20%)
 Of that we can deduce that exclusives might not be the primary way for people to choose a console.

-For COD, we could deduce that it has a public that doesn't like change, as it mostly is played online, and you can't crossplay PS4/X1, and would loose it's friend list. Of course, as a lot of people who plays COD only plays COD (or mostly), these have no reasons to switch from X1 to PS4.

- It's kinda funny how much fake exclusives (dlc exclusives, trailer shown only on one side, etc) doesn't seem to matter with early pre-orders.
We could say it's because people who preorder early knows their shit, and won't buy a console because a multiplat' was shown on a console conf' just like an exclusive would be.

Finally, you are right about the public shift on BF4, that's kinda concerning. That said, One's numbers being smaller, the error margin is bigger.

We will see how it goes on release.